“Long Wait but Hot! Hot! Hot!”

Karuna's Thai Plate
Ranked #657 of 2,092 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 4 April 2016

As you will read in other reviews, your best bet is to order take-out, as there is only a single server and cook for the very tiny restaurant. But even take-out requires more than an hour wait. We ordered at 7:20 Sunday evening, arrived at the restaurant at 8:20 and still had to wait a half an hour. Many people were in line waiting with boxes of take-out piled high waiting to be claimed.

Although we ended up eating dinner much later than planned, the food was quite delicious for thos of us that could handle the spice. Be sure you really can handle incendiary levels of hot peppers if you order your food hot. Even the medium was too hot for some members of our group. The Karuna's Fried Rice (ordered mild) was a hit with everyone.

Overall, I would suggest you order about 2 hours before you want to eat and be sure everyone in your party is aware of the superior spice levels before choosing hot, medium, or mild spice.

Reviewed 7 February 2016

A friend and I decided to pick up a meal to go. We hadn't been there in a long time and it had been really crowded. Now, it seems that most people do takeout. We put in our order and it took around an hour to get it. People were coming in a steady stream to pick up takeout orders so can see that it is well worth it to call ahead. On many dishes they offer levels of spicy. I had the Karuna's fried rice which has bacon, chicken, shrimp, vegetables. It is my favorite thing to have there and is very tasty. My friend enjoyed her soup and chicken dish. Although there are some tables available, there weren't a lot of people there so if you wanted to eat in, it is possible. It appears they have a buffet at lunch time. Prices are very reasonable. It's obviously very popular for takeout which is a good indication that people like the food. I did.

1  Thank EnjoyTraveling64
Reviewed 16 January 2016 via mobile

Yellow curry and stir fry vegetables with tofu were good; appreciated the spring roll being made when that worker came in. Medium for my curry spiciness was perfect. Thai iced tea. Delicious and hot tea was very hot.
Unfortunately all gets lost in the continual wait for food, container to take food home and to pay the bill. The place, and sole woman serving everyone at tables was also packaging and taking take-out orders. The place would be amazing if they had another person helping. If I was to eat their food again I think I would do take-out too.

Reviewed 24 November 2015

Since I am partial to a Thai rest. in Phoenix - this only got a 4 instead of 5 - the food is still delicious - service to some may not be fast - due to the fact the woman who runs it and the one worker are busy making fresh food to place out! It's right across from my favorite trading post (Bookman's Entertainment Center - so I can park in their parking lot and cross the street to eat and then come back to shop too!) The food is fresh, tasty and a tad spicy (the vegetarian selections). It's a little shabby in appearance - so if you don't like shabby chic seats - you might want to avoid here - but if you have a kid at the "U" - its a definite choice (caution Coconut Soup is Spicy).
You will not be dissapointed. Only one other fun Thai eats - is the "monthly Fund Raiser" at the Thai Temple at Swan and 22nd (once a month in the evening - packed -and you need to remove shoes at the door before you enter the Temple) That is an equal comparison (only the Temple with the Monks - serves unique Thai deserts / Jasmine favored and bean treats as well). November is definitely the time to treat yourself to fresh vegetable eats in Thai cuisine!

Reviewed 23 July 2015

I popped in for lunch. A very simple small place. Lunch was a good value. Great especially if you like Phad Thai. I will go back sometime. Would be worth going back and ordering off the menu sometime.
Parking is a little tough as the streets are pretty busy.
Nice main lady who was very welcoming.

1  Thank drtim

Been to Karuna's Thai Plate? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK