“Not Impressed”

Doubletree by Hilton Tucson - Reid Park
Ranked #33 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 24 February 2012

As a former Tucson resident, I recall the Doubletree as being an upscale hotel. I booked 4 nights at the Doubletree, as it was located near enough to University of Arizona, where I was visiting my daughter for the weekend. I arrived a couple of hours before check-in, and the hotel was accomodating and allowed me to check in early, with 2 lovely complimentary warm cookies. At the time of my reservation, I had requested 2 bottles of sparkling water for the room, which the clerk confirmed while she was making sure that the room was indeed ready. However, when I arrived in the room, the water wasn't there. The front desk had it sent down from through roomservice. The room smelled musty, but even with asthma, I have never had trouble in any hotel in a non-smoking room. The remote for the tv wasn't working. I had to make the request for maintenance twice, as no one had come to fix it within 45 minutes of my first call. Maintenance had to enter my room while I was out, because I couldn't wait for them any longer. The lighting in the bathroom of my room consisted of 2 wall sconces on the mirror, which were covered by a linen shade. There was no central lighting in the bathroom, which left the tub area almost completely in the dark. I was told that I could park in front of my ground floor room, but there was a party going on at the apartments across the parking lot, and the hotel made no effort to protect its own parking from the overflow. When I returned to my room at 9 p.m., I had to park much further away than I liked, staying alone in a Mid-Town Tucson hotel. When I awoke the next morning, I was having trouble breathing, and my asthma was under excellent control when I arrived. Again, I have had asthma for over 20 years, and I have never had trouble in any hotel in a non-smoking room. I moved up to the Westward Look Resort for the remainder of my stay. The Westward Look is a much older location, but the rooms are always fresh and well - lit, parking is ample, and requests for assistance are met promptly.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 14 February 2012

This is a standard Doubletree but we had a good experience during a very crowded convention time with 3 people sharring a room. The two queens and a roll-away in the tower worked well and we were pleased with the staff help - also had a most excellent breakfast (ordered by menu) in the dining room.

Room Tip: Parking can be a problem but only if there is some sort of show or convention on site.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank TravelingWren
Reviewed 13 February 2012

The room and grounds are what one expects from a Doubletree. Rooms were large and clean. One quibble was that the room was on the 2nd floor and, of course, no elevators. There are two restaurants - one Mexican - both good. Location was good, although traffic everywhere was totally ferocious. The room was comfortable - I like the arm chair w. ottoman. We also enjoyed the hot tub - but there weren't any towels.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I would have rated this hotel higher, but the layout was so poorly designed. The biggest problem is the map of the hotel is way out of scale, and doesn't make any sense at all. Unless you are in a tower room, you will need a staff member to spend a good 15 or 20 minutes explaining how to get to your room. And the signage around the hotel is also poor. And you can't tell which stairway is gonna get you to your room, and then you find yourself walking down long walkways, only to find they either dead end, or it's the wrong stairway. On the last day, I discovered there were some room numbers indicated around the parking lot, but they aren't always easy to see. Some stairways have a single light in the evening, and when those lights are out, there is no second back up, so it's completely dark.

If you're willing to devote the time to learn the layout, it's a nice place with friendly staff. The room was clean and quiet, HBO included, medium size refrigerator, nice coffeemaker, comfortable bedding, nice tiled shower, etc. Carpet was clean and furniture in good condition. Food in the restaurant was good and reasonably priced, but there aren't any other restaurants you can walk to nearby. There is a 24 hour convenience store just outside the property. if you're in one of the rooms in the low rise area, you can park nearby, but you'll really need to learn where to park and what stairways are close by. There were lots of drink vending machines around. There was a well stocked gift shop, nice pool and fitness center.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Met all expectations, restaurants offer good food, good value, we visited Tucson for the Gem Shows. Rooms were clean, a little tired, internet worked well, restaurants were well staffed, very friendly, I recommend this hotel. Didn't make it out to the beautiful pool area, but it looked very well maintained and attractive.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple