“Tasty Vietnamese Cuisine”

Ha Long Bay
Ranked #237 of 2,213 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed 18 February 2018

My husband and I went here for dinner with two friends on a Saturday at 6:30 p.m. and got one of the last vacant tables. Though the room is relatively small, the tables have enough space between them so that it is easy to have private conversations. Illumination is excellent, ensuring that the extensive menu is easy to read.

Service proved to be outstanding with pleasant, attentive, helpful staff. The food got delivered quickly after the orders were taken. Three of us liked all our choices very much, but my husband thought the shared soup was too spicy. My dumplings and bun pork were superb, and the latter was such an ample serving that I had plenty left over to take home. I think this restaurant is a good choice for those who like South Asian cuisine.

Ha Long Bay Restaurant is located in a strip mall with plenty of free parking.

1  Thank Rumples

Reviewed 12 February 2018

Ha Long Baby is located in a small strip mall on the northwest corner of Tanque Verde and Sabino Canyon Drive. And it is a special treat for those who enjoy southeast Asia cuisine. This is not a pretentious restaurant, but one which serves up delicious spring rolls, noodle and rice dishes, and other Vietnamese food. Service is excellent with the wait staff well informed and able to discuss the various choices with diners. We enjoyed a very good meal recently, and would especially recommend any of the noodle dishes. Prices are reasonable. A really good alternative to the many southwest and Mexican restaurants as well as Italian fare and steakhouses.

Reviewed 2 February 2018 via mobile

Running errands and decided to make a quick stop at Ha Long Bay. Enjoyed the shrimp and turkey summer rolls with the fresh shredded greens and the Pho with beef tendon and ginger. Fresh sprouts, basil, cilantro, and jalapeño to top the already abundant serving with generous portions of meats and noodles in savory broth. Ample serving permitted take home, too. Atmosphere is clean, bright and colorful and the staff was friendly and helpful. I will repeat! Only regret was failure to take pic of the meal! Next time.

Reviewed 30 January 2018

Don' be fooled by the limited selection, into thinking that the food will be consistently good.
Vegetarian vermicelli option had well cooked tofu ( albeit unseasoned) , steamed broccoli, carrots, and celery. On asking if perhaps our server had forgotten to bring the listed fresh side ingredients which you would mix in yourself , which are stated above the BUN vermicelli choices- I was advised that these do not come with the vegetarian version.
Wow!
So mint, lettuce, bean sprouts, peanuts - all the typical flavours , are not included, despite what menu stipulates? Ummm. Very odd. Pretty sure these are plant based!

And despite no meat, AND no typical fresh ingredients to add in, you are privileged to pay exactly the same price as the meat versions.
Worse than a food court version.
Egg drop soup was 'gloppy' and unappetizing.
Picture on wall of Halong Bay was the best part!

Perhaps the other choices are somewhat better?

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

Ha Long Bay offers strangers to the country of Vietnam a glimpse into its culinary and cultural heritage. Even though I trace my roots to Asia, I regret to say that I’ve never been to Vietnam. Ergo, I have very limited knowledge of Vietnamese cuisine. I’ve had it before, although the experience didn’t have such a significant impact as to warrant a craving for Vietnamese food on a regular basis.

Having said that, I’m pleased to declare that my first dining experience at Ha Long Bay was a superbly pleasant one. The servers were extremely friendly, attentive and efficient. The interior was decorated with all kinds of Vietnamese knickknacks and art. It was interesting and amusing at the same time.

The menu was quite daunting to decipher for a newbie like moi, but, just as always, I listened to my gut (which, by the way, had been growling quite a bit for some time) and ordered the first thing that caught my eye. I presumed that my partner-in-dine would go for a bowl of pho but he surprised me by getting a plate of spicy garlic shrimp. So while he waited for his daily dose of spicy heaven, I waited with baited breath for my clay pot fish. The clay pot fish is a seasonal dish with a footnote on the menu of it being very spicy. I love spicy food, I love fish and I love clay pot cooking. So, I said, “Bring it on!”

We both loved our orders. My partner-in-dine just wished that his plate came with more shrimps, like maybe a million more. As for me, let’s just say that I’m now a convert of the Vietnamese cuisine. The fish was tender and succulent. The sauce/soup the fish was simmering in was richly flavored. I ate every last piece of the fish and drop of the sauce/soup with blissful abandon. A word of warning though: the fish had bones in it. So, be careful when eating it. With all humility, I can say that I’m an expert in the art of fishbone-picking. Hence, I was able to enjoy my meal without any incident. I also got the taro boba drink before my food came. That was my sweet “appetizer” before the onslaught of wonderful, savory fish.

The meal didn’t break the bank or our hearts, so we shall be back to try the other dishes on their menu.

Date of visit: January 2018