“Patience required...”

Price range: US$ 6 - US$ 10
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Description: Mi Nidito has been serving Tucson since 1952. It was then that a couple from Sonora made a decision that is still impacting the lives of their family three generations later. The decision was between opening a Mexican food restaurant or a tortilla factory. The restaurant won and that is how Mi Nidito was created.Mi Nidito was opened by Ernesto and Alicia Lopez on the corner of 4th Ave and 29th street in historic South Tucson. The restaurant is now owned by Ernest Lopez Jr. and wife Yolanda. Sons Jimmy and ErnieIII help run the family business. The name Mi Nidito which means "My little Nest" was given to the restaurant because of its original small size.Mi Nidito has grown over the years, but has not lost it's quality and charm. It is important to maintain the friendly environment that has made Mi Nidito a family favorite.
Reviewed 28 December 2017

This long established restaurant offers Mexican fare that is attested by the crowds awaiting their turn at the table. The good (and hence the rating): the food, once one gains a seat; the reasonable prices and the on site parking. The bad: said large crowds of people waiting their turn to be called to their seats. We had to wait well over an hour on a week night to be called for dinner. The restaurant does not accept advance reservations, so there is no option other than waiting one's turn upon arrival. Once seated, there was more waiting to order food, another 25 minutes before food was served, and more waiting before one could attract the waiter's attention for the check. Incidentally, the waiting is good business for the restaurant, as people having nothing better to do keep on ordering Margaritas and such, so take note. The quality of the food may be a reward for the time spent waiting, but only you can be a final judge of that. Buena suerte!

Reviewed 10 December 2017

Not sure why, but a lot of people told us to come here. Said we'd "have to wait" because "there's always a line," which we did--about 45 minutes. Being new to Tucson from Texas, I asked the waitress what their most popular dishes were. She replied, the enchiladas and the tacos. I asked for ground beef tacos; simple enough, right? Now I'm sorry I didn't take a picture, but what I got on my plate after waiting nearly an hour for food was (you're really going to think I'm making this up, but I swear-- I'm not!!), what I got was a half of a frozen hamburger patty, cooked, cut in half and stuffed in a taco shell. They couldn't even grind up the patty half. They literally cut the patty in half, and stuck it in the taco shell. My wife said she had better enchiladas. Found better places to eat Mexican food in Tucson. This place is living on the fact that Clinton ate here. Since when did a guy from Arkansas become a Mexican food expert. Coming from Texas, I've had too many good Mexican meals to even consider coming back to this place.

4  Thank CMPTexas
Reviewed 17 November 2017

I decided to try Mi Nidito on a recent visit to Tucson, to see what all the fuss was about. I will check this off the list now. There are better Mexican restaurants all over Tucson, without the hype and the long wait. The food and service was ok, but really, I've had a lot better at other places.

2  Thank webfoot1047
Reviewed 14 November 2017

Food seems more Americanized Mexican but was good and a fun place to go because it is so popular. The wait on a Monday night at 6:30 was about 40 minutes

Reviewed 5 November 2017

This is a very popular Mexican restaurant and there is a reason for that - it is that good. The seating space is small, the parking tight but the food, my mouth still waters as I write this. I like Mexican food and these guys have it down to the state-of-the-art. Service was superb and attentive and the value - worth every peso.

Of all of the restaurants in Tucson that I sampled, this was my favorite hands down.