“My favorite in Tucson”

Price range: US$ 6 - US$ 10
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Takeout
Description: Mi Nidito has been serving Tucson since 1952. It was then that a couple from Sonora made a decision that is still impacting the lives of their family three generations later. The decision was between opening a Mexican food restaurant or a tortilla factory. The restaurant won and that is how Mi Nidito was created.Mi Nidito was opened by Ernesto and Alicia Lopez on the corner of 4th Ave and 29th street in historic South Tucson. The restaurant is now owned by Ernest Lopez Jr. and wife Yolanda. Sons Jimmy and ErnieIII help run the family business. The name Mi Nidito which means "My little Nest" was given to the restaurant because of its original small size.Mi Nidito has grown over the years, but has not lost it's quality and charm. It is important to maintain the friendly environment that has made Mi Nidito a family favorite.
Reviewed 30 October 2017

This is my favorite restaurant in Tucson. I visit occasionally and always find a way to go here. Very authentic. Be ready to wait for a table, but it is worth the wait. I haven't seen anything on plates that doesn't look delicious.

1  Thank Matt P

Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

We did not care for the food. The sauce on the enchilada tasted canned. The chicken salad had too much lime and the shredded lettuce watered it down. It was like mush. The ice tea was good and service was great.

2  Thank EdnaU_13
Reviewed 15 October 2017

Visited Mi Nidito based on reviews from Tripadvisor and was not disappointed. The food was excellent as was the service. The only problem...if you call it a problem...is that they don't take reservations and subsequently, due to the popularity, you may have to wait over 40 minutes to get one of the highly sou8ght after tables.

Reviewed 11 October 2017

My wife and I have lived in Tucson since 1979. As one can imagine, after a few years, you've pretty much tried most Mexican restaurants in town (if you like the cuisine that is). In the early days, eating at Mi Nidito was worth the wait and - yes - there seems to always be a line to be seated.

One would think that this is a good sign. I did. I was wrong. I have been wrong. On our last three visits, the food was poor. Neither my wife nor I could finish our meal. Not because there was so much food but because of the taste. It just didn't taste "good".

Then, there is their ever-increasing prices. Imagine a large plate that is half covered with beans and rice (two "very" - did I say "very"? inexpensive ingredients). Add some lettuce - the large plate is now shrinking. What's left is an area for the main component(s) - beef, enchiladas, etc.

On our last visit, I had the machaca plate - beef that's been dried then rehydrated with water, sauce, etc. That plate cost $13...alright, $12.95. For the amount of beef that resided on by plate, this price was a total ripoff. Add insult to injury...my stomach was upset 30 minutes later.

My wife's meal was just as bad. Though the quantity appeared substantial, the taste was such that she ate only a small portion.

I don't know why we brought a doggie bag with the remainder of our meals. I guess it was because there was so much food left on our plates. However, neither one of us was willing to eat it as left-overs.

This was our 3rd time (in-a-row) we have been overcharged and disappointed with their food.

I should mention that the wait staff are very good. But, being served this quality of food rapidly and courteously just doesn't make up for the consumption part of one's experience. This restaurant is not like it used to be.

3  Thank Harleyman
Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

Had to check out this place for its history. Not only did Clinton stop here but as shown in the restaurant many other famous people. We sat at the presidential table which is named for President Clinton’s visit. Food was ok. Margarita was pretty good. They have a good selection of food. Chicken tostada was disappointing- lettuce, tomatoes and chicken in a small tortilla bowl. Not what I was expecting. Could have used some salad dressing or sour cream salsa blend since it was an over rated salad.
Always busy place even when you go in at 3:30 for an early dinner. Parking is limited.