“For the Money? Seriously? GREAT Place!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Lazy 8 Motel
Lazy 8 Motel
Ranked #108 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
New Mexico
“For the Money? Seriously? GREAT Place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2008

I have found these reviews VERY useful especially when there are a lot of details..so I am providing a LOT of them!
The Good Stuff:
My husband and I are attending a seminar in Tucson for three weekends in a row. I read the reviews for the Lazy 8 and it seemed like a decent place to stay but I went with the Red Roof instead. (The thought of an Interstate Motel just seemed to creepy) We arrived at the Red Roof (South end of town) only to find an unbelievably smelly dark room. There were NO lightbulbs in ANY of the lamps. The only light was from two dimly lit flourescent wall lights above the beds. My husband and I looked at each other and immediately said "The Heck with this place" We packed up, made some lame excuse at the front desk and thankfully they canceled our stay without losing any money. On the way out of the parking lot we noticed there were about 15 cop cars in the intersection. While the officers waived us by we noticed they had the drug sniffing dogs inside a car and two very scary looking guys in shackles on the ground. Nice huh? Even more of a reason to move locations!! We have never been to Tucson and I only had a few numbers for other hotels. We are on a budget so price is important. The other hotels were also very shady looking and we passed on them. Then...the Lazy 8. We drove up and saw the sign that says "Cleanest Budget Motel in Tucson". I immediately noticed that the grounds are meticulously kept. Green grass. Pots of flowers. Clean Parking Lot. The lobby is small but inviting. The night clerk was a really nice fellow who let us look at the room before we commited. (Wow!) We asked for a King bed and went to look at a second floor room. (Actual KEY..no key cards!) I was immediately comfortable. The room was small but very clean and bright when the lights (which HAD bulbs!) were turned on. It smelled clean and fresh. The walls are white painted brick. No stains...discolorations...dust....and they provide a really good sound barrier from your neighbors (the place was almost full). The bed was really comfortable. We decided to stay.
Now keep in mind folks, this is a BUDGET motel. You get what you pay for! There are NO coffee pots (we are going to bring one when we return) No mini fridges...no fancy lotions and soaps. The room is small but not so much you cant move around. There is a dresser, mirror, two end tables and a small stuffed chair in the corner. The bathroom is decorated in all white. Very clean, unbroken saltillo style tiles on the the floors and very clean and bright white tiles on the walls (Even the grout is white..no mold..no holes). One of those "bowed" style shower curtains with a very clean white shower curtain. No stains in the toilet. Great water pressure, lots of very hot water. (They provide a couple bars of no-name brand soaps and a pump style soap dispenser in the shower provides shower gel) Didnt use it but it smelled pretty good. The counter tops and the sink seemed new and were a gray granite style. No scratches...clean and shiny. Bright lights around mirror. They do provide a small wall mounted hair dryer. There is a small wall-mounted TV. Worked Great. Cable TV including HBO. A/C worked TOO well. Even on the "low" setting we woke in the middle of the night and had to turn it off...TOO cold! Their website indicates a guard on the premises. We saw her the moment we parked the car! She was patroling the parking lot and when I looked out the window again around midnight..I saw her again, flashlight in hand checking an area near the lobby. That made me feel even better. There is a restaurant on the premses called the "Silver Saddle Steakhouse". We decided to splurge a bit and eat there mainly because we were too tired and didnt feel like driving around looking for a fast food place. The steakhouse was literally a 60 second walk from our room door to theirs. What a GREAT little place! They have an open pit fire grill which burns only Mesquite wood. When you walk through the door you are immediately hungry. It smells so good. VERY warm inside. Waitstaff was very friendly. The inside is dimly lit and decorated with deep wood. We had a 10 oz prime rib with baked potato...spicy "cowboy" beans, fresh rolls and a big bowl of French Onion soup for $15.99. Prime rib was awesome. The Lazy 8 provides a Continental Breakfast in the morning. Cereals...milk...good coffee...fresh donuts....so-so burritos..juice...instant oatmeal.. Not bad at all! (Red Roof has NO free breakfast)

OK now for the not -so-good stuff:

It's just off the Interstate so there IS traffic noise. But with the low hum of the A/C I didn't even notice it after I fell asleep. There are NO latches on the doors. There is a deadbolt but there is something about having that latch that makes you feel safer. Knowing the security guard was out there made me feel a lot better though. There were several burn marks on the edges of the end table and dressers and we noticed the smoke detector had been removed from above the bed and placed on the shelf above the area where you hang your clothes. We didnt even realize that we had been checked into a smoking room (NO smell of smoke when we first walked in) We found out that because it is such a small room, cigarette smoke tended to set it off. I didnt care as long as it didnt smell like smoke.
I always do a once-over of the blankets and sheets. The sheets were clean and white. Comforter was clean. My arm brushed up against the inside blanket and I felt something scratch my arm. Upon closer inspection I found something I cannot identify on the blanket. My husband swears it was nothing more than a burn mark from a dryer coil. It wasnt in an obvious place so if it WAS something else it could have been overlooked. I didnt care and wasnt about to sleep in the bed with it! I let the front desk know and it was immediately rectified. There were a couple of burn marks in the new blanket I received but it did smell clean and laundered. The carpet was clean but did have a few frayed edges. Nothing you would really even notice unless you were looking (which I WAS).
That is about it as far as the negatives are concerned. I noticed on review mentioned a rude staff. We had no problem with the staff ,they were always accomodating and friendly to us. It cost us $47.07 a night including taxes and a AAA discount.
THIS PLACE TRULY IS CLEAN! NOT perfect! But clean and NO sign of bugs! That's all that matters to me.
We have reserved the next two weekends with them. Need a clean cheap place to sleep for a night? You cant beat the Lazy 8.
P.S Stay AWAY from the Red Roof South.

• Liked — Clean ...Clean...Clean
  • Disliked — Furniture needs to be replaced....linens replaced.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank EnchantedNM
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Easton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2008

I re-read my review from a couple years ago - and it still stands. We stay in this place every time we are on our way north in Arizona. It's advertised as the "cleanest budget motel" and it definitely is. For the price - about $50 during the week, it is exceptionally clean. It's off the interstate exit in a part of town where there is little else - except a few motels and a steakhouse. The steakhouse that borders this motel provides an excellent meal also - we had grilled steak, cowboy beans, baked potatoes and salad bar for about $15 each. The sheets were clean, there were plenty of towels, and there was a nice breakfast in the a.m. which included fruit, cereal, coffee, bagels, toast.. There was also a coin laundry where we washed a couple days worth of stuff so we didn't have to pack so much. Can't beat it for the price.

Stayed August 2008
1 Thank Sue G
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2007

All brand name hotels in Tucson were booked because of some major event, so I ended up in this one. They are what they claim-- a really
clean budget hotel. The room was small, the TV was small, and the bathroom was so small and spartan it made me chuckle. But everything was clean and well-maintained, the bed was thin but highly acceptable, the staff was professional and polite, and my stay was quiet and pleasant.

• Stayed February 2007
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Triptaker365
Columbus
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2006

I saw their ad in the AAA book and only needed a room for myself for one night (I was passing through Tucson), so I thought 'what the heck.' Have you ever been to a place where you get a weird feeling just walking through the door? That's what I experienced here. It's not a 'bad' place per se...but as I said, it just had that 'ick' factor as soon as I opened the door. A one-night place for a good price when all you need is a bed and a shower? You betcha. But I would never consider staying here any longer than that.

• Stayed December 2005
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank LMHinCMH
Seattle, WA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2006

I WOULD NEVER STAY HERE AFTER THE CUSTOMER SERVICE I RECEIVED OVER THE PHONE...

I called to make a reservation, because this place gets great reviews and advertises a $39/night rate on their website. The guest clerk took all my information and then gave me the rate...$59/night. This is more than we wanted to spend on a motel, so after securing reservations elsewhere I called back to cancel. The conversation went as follows:

Me: "Hello, I'd like to cancel my reservation"
Her: "Ok, thanks, goodbye." Click.

She hung up on me!

When I called back, she said yes, you are cancelled and your confirmation number is the same as your other number. Then she said, "Now, you are wasting my time. Goodbye" and hung up on me again!

So I called back to talk to a manager. She said, "I am the manager. Now quit calling me. You are cancelled. Goodbye!"

I plan to call back at another time and talk to someone else, but I couldn't believe how rude this person was to me!

Would you ever stay somewhere where the employees are allowed to A) Talk to customers this way and B) Allowed to tell you your cancellation is complete, when they haven't even received your name?

NO WAY!

• Stayed March 2006
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank seattlecutiepie

Travellers are raving about these Tucson hotels