“Incorrectly charged my credit card 3 times for total of over $900, took several days to refund, manager laughed about it”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Tucson
Ranked #53 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 22 May 2011

I've been working in Tucson from out of town and staying at this hotel for the past 6 weeks. The first night I was there I gave them my personal debit card to hold the room as it was after hours (big mistake). The next morning my boss called hotel and gave my company credit card info for payment. A few days later they made a charge to my personal credit card. As I know mistakes happen, I was not angry and I brought it to the attention of the hotel manager and he apologized and credited the amount back, although it took 5 days to get the money back in my account. He also assured me that he would take my personal debit card out of their system so that this would not happen again. A week later, they charged my personal credit card again. Again, took 5 days to get my money back and manager said he would remove my personal card into. Several weeks went by with no problems. Again last night, my personal debit card was charged, but this time for almost $700 dollars. Now I am irate. Best part is, since this time they stole my money on a Friday night, I have to wait until Monday morning to talk to anyone who is "authorized" to credit the amount back. I tried to call Holiday Inn Corporate for assistance and was told that since this is an independently owned location, there is nothing they can do. For the icing on the cake, the last time I spoke with the manager on the phone about this, he started laughing as he was telling me there was nothing he could do and nobody else he could talk to. I guess he thinks it's funny to anger someone who has given them their business for over a month and who works for a company who regularly patronizes this hotel for employees working in the Tucson area. I guess the only way to prevent this from happening again is to switch hotels, which will happen on Monday. I'll make sure my employer knows to never use this hotel again, not like there are not dozens of other choices in the area. This hotel is decent otherwise, but unfortunately being fairly clean and having nice rooms does not make up for them stealing my money. Please do yourself a favor and choose a different hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank Madhater

Reviewed 28 April 2011

Stayed one night on business. No real complaints. Clean and quiet. Priority club bonus "snack mix" was a little chintzy.

The lady overseeing the morning breakfast was very helpful almost to being too helpful.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Erick967
Reviewed 28 April 2011

I am the president of my daughter's gymnastic booster club and they had their state championships in Tucson. The host gym had blocked rooms for out of town clubs & families at a reduced rate. I had called to reserve 3 rooms for our coaches at that rate. I asked for the rate & was told ok. When my coaches returned with their receipts, I saw that they had been charged the full price, $40 per night, per room more than I was told when I made the reservation. I called the hotel and left several messages over several days for the manager, both with employees and on his voice mail. It took him over a week to return my calls. I explained my situation, and that our non-profit booster club fund raises to cover these expenses. We have a budget that is very strict and we could not afford the rooms at that rate. He informed me that I had made the reservation after the cutoff date of the reduced rate. I told him that I was NOT told that when I made the reservation. If I had been we wouldn't have stayed there. It was over our budget. He basically told me I was a liar, and that he knows what his employees say and that they would have told me that. He never actually talked to the employee I made my reservation with. I contact their corporate office, and all they did was forward my complaint to the same manager I had already spoken to. They sent me a reply telling me the same thing. I will NEVER stay at a Holiday Inn Express again! We were not looking for a full refund, just the difference from what I was told and what was charged! NEVER AGAIN!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2011
3  Thank jittey3
Reviewed 5 April 2011

They stay was what I expect from a HIE property. Clean, Quiet, smoke free.
However, I am a Priority Member (Gold). Not that it gets me anything. I was using my points to pay for the stay. It was only one night. As usual, I was asked for License and Credit Card. The next day, I headed out across the Reservation in the middle of nowhere. Went to pump gas, and card wouldn't handle the $$60.00 charge. Called hotel and they admitted mistake. They had charged me 162.00 for the night, and I did not have my other cards on me. (Cards were cancelled and in transition from wife's purse stolen easrlier in week. But I had one CC that was not a joint account I know, my problem, my mistake) I asked for a manager, as I was stranded in Sells, AZ. He (Randy) did not answer. Left urgent message. This was on Thursday. I wrote scathing email once I bailed myself out of my own situation Filled up with $30 and had wife deposit funds. He wrote me email back on Monday saying he did not get my voicemail. Seriously? How do you think I got your name? Your voicemail. My first clue was, "Hi this is Randy."
He was advised by corporate that there was an issue. Gee, you are the General Manager. Don't you talk to your staff? They were advised. They knew there was a guy who was stranded in Sells, AZ because you charged his card $162.00 when you souldn't of. Isn't this something your staff would mention to the General Manager? You have my phone number from my Priority Gold Membership. You said you were out all weekend. What kind of Manager doesn't work on the busiest part of the week? I have worked in HR Management, and this is not how you do it.The Credit Card wasn't credited until the following Monday night either.
Well this was enough to wash my hands of Priority Club and HIE. If they are willing to leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere, and not even attempt to fix the issue (even apologize and make a small effort to "right" the situation, that's enough for me. Never again. Holiday Inn, you can thank the guy with faulty voicemail, poor communication with staff and guests, and weekends off, -his name is RANDY, at least that's what the guy says on his voicemail.

Room Tip: Suite is across from noisy elevator, ice machine
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank darrininvegas
Reviewed 6 February 2011

A colleague booked our room -for $190. per night. The room was small, next to the elevator, and overlooking the commercial bakery parking lot. Luckily I brought earplugs. The noise from the early morning bakery trucks, the elevator shaft, and the ice machine was enough to keep my colleague up all night. The "store" is a closet with a few items for sale. Additionally, the refridgerator froze everything solid. Supposedly, no other rooms were available.
On the positive side, The aroma from the bakery was pleasant, access to the freeway was easy, and the breakfast was great. At times (we never quite figured out the schedule) complimentary coffee, apples and cookies were available in the lobby. The front desk people were pleasant and helpful.
Unless you can get a very good price, I would definitely look elsewhere than this average establishment.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business