“A Desert Oasis”

Ranked #32 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Halifax, UK
“A Desert Oasis”
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We stayed for 4 nights at the end of June, widh we had stayed longer, we stayed in a Saguaro Suite with a Jacuzzi Bath Tub, seperate bedroom, huge living room with 2 double pull down beds, not that we needed them but would be ideal for a larger parties. We were certainly blown away with the suite and the amazing view of the mountains from our patio outside. The Ranch was very quiet, due to the time of year but we loved it, very relaxed atmosphere round the resort. we did the Breakfast ride and BBQ and have to say the food was amazing, the restaurant served the best food ever, freshly made and well presented, At Breakfast you can help yourself to fruit/cereal and juices and order a hot cooked breakfast from the comfort of your table. Lunch if you were still hungry was buffet style and had a tempting selection of desserts to die for. Evening meal was A la Carte with huge portions, we never went hungry when we were there. The Ranch has a Mexican room adjacent to the restaurant that had pastries/cookies available 24/7 and soft drinks, coffee and a really tastey Hot Chocolate! There are water stations around the ranch to fill up your water bottles that you get in your room on arrival. I really dont get some of the negative reviews that dislike the food, and service, what planet are you on??? we found everyone really friendly and they could not do enough to make our stay more enjoyable. A good tip would be to bring a small torch to use on a night when making your way back to your room as some rooms are a 5 minute walk from the ranch and the paths can be dark in places. You may want to check your bathroom floor on a night when returning as we found a Scorpion trying to climb out of the sink one night, we were managed to flush it back down, but really should have called reception to come and remove it, the next day the maid found one on the bathroom floor and kindly removed it for us, maybe it was the same one we saw the night before! after that we put the plugs down in the sinks/bath and saw no more, I guess its all part of the Ranch, Desert experience but would not put us off returning.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank paulio
, Director of Operations at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, 7 July 2012
I am so glad you loved our food and beverage experience. Our Chef and his crew take great pride in preparing amazing meals made from scratch. I know it gets REALLY dark at night here at the ranch. Our neighbors are the Saguaro National Monument and Coronado National Forest, so light polution is never a problem at the ranch. We do have flashlights at the front desk for this very reason. We will have one for you when you return. There is no better time to visit the ranch than anytime really! It is a nice change of pace during the Summer and the Sonoran Desert offers abundant beauty each and every day of the year. Thank you so much for your glowing review and staying with us. I look forward to seeing you next time!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Tucson
Reviewed 16 June 2012

every summer through oct 31 they have a special bed and breakfast deal for tucson locals. fantastic!!. the grounds are beautiful, there are many activities--some you pay such as horsebackriding--others such as nature walks, evening presentations, hiking are free. breaskfast consists of fruits, juice, oatmeal yoghurt cereal etc and pancakes and eggs, french toasts, meats cooked to order. dinner there is delicious but fairly expensive--35$ per person. we prefer to bring cold foods and eat on our patio overlooking the desert. The beautiful Douglas Springs trail is a quarter of a mile. there is a lake and plenty of walking trails. the staff consists of some of the most helpful people i have ever met. what a getaway just on the edge of town!!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
GeoffreyFCampbell, Director of Operations at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, 17 June 2012
Thank you so much for your local review! I am glad you enjoyed our service and products. I hope you visit us again soon neighbor!
london
Reviewed 7 June 2012

My family and I are currently at Tanque Verde Ranch and I can honestly say, I've tried hard and can not fault the place. Really can not understand any negative comments at all. The staff are fantastic - everyone has been friendly, helpful and kind.

The horse riding is very well-organised and as 4 absolute beginners, we didn't expect to go very far, but within half an hour Mike had us miles from the ranch on a walk ride.We were thrilled at the beautiful scenery we rode through.

Everything about the place is well-cared for and comfortable. We were extremely satisfied with the level of amenities in the rooms and the views are spectacular.

The food is plentiful and of excellent quality and the service is friendly and fast.

We are still having a great time here and wholeheartedly recommend it.

Room Tip: We stayed at rooms 44 & 45. More like suites than rooms and the viws from the patio are beautifu...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
GeoffreyFCampbell, Director of Operations at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Thank you for your feedback! I am so glad you are enjoying your stay. Our staff has a lot of fun getting new riders into the saddle. I am sure you folks look like pros out there! I hope you have a safe trip home and please visit us again soon!
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Short notice, mini-vacation with a friend to Tanque Verde in mid-May was terrific! We were there about four days, and wore ourselves out before 10 pm each night. So much to do, i'm already planning my next trip!

As other reviewers have said, rooms are basic, but very comfortable. The view from our room (23) was fantastic. Very quiet, too (although the rest of the room block was empty during our stay).

Free transport to/from the airport is convenient and welcomed - no need for a car. Management and staff were delightful and helpful, with no exceptions! They were attentive without being over-bearing. No question was dismissed, and they seemed genuniely interested in making sure we were enjoying our stay.

The main event: Horsies! Almost 200 on the ranch... As a relative novice rider, the wranglers were fairly quick to assess me, and get me matched with an appropriate ride. Went through the "Fun-damentals" and "Intermediate" lessons. Lessons were reasonably efficient given we had perhaps 5-8 students in each "class". Moved us quickly through the basics, and my degree of comfort on horseback was much better by the end of my stay.

The "walk" rides, and the "ride to breakfast" were suitable for my skill level. The "mountain adventure" ride was perhaps a bit too long for my tastes. It became a bit more of a slog after the first two hours - especially as the day became warmer.

"Penning Competition" and "Fun-kana" are NOT to be missed! Even if you don't ride, you need to see it! I can now add "Cow Organizer" to my resume, as i had a chance to move calves around from horseback. Another item off my bucket list...

Most spectacular moment, however, was watching Jonathan (head wrangler?) take Goose - a 2,000+ pound Percheron - through the barrels. Astonishing horsemanship. A ton of horse cornering like a sportscar is not something you see every day.

Food? Lots of variety, very good quality, and helpful staff. No complaints. The pastry staff is top notch!

My companion enjoyed the early morning birding hike with the naturalist (while i slept in), as well as a few mountain bike rides. The evening programs were enjoyable and informative, too.

Can't wait for my next trip! This is a place like no other...

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank daisyfae
GeoffreyFCampbell, Director of Operations at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, 27 May 2012
It sounds like you had a great time! Jonathon is AMAZING! Thank you so much for your compliments; I look forward to sharing them with the staff (and horsies.) We will see you next time!
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2012

My Husband and I stayed at the Ranch in May 2012 as part of our Honeymoon. We were very pleased with our choice. The ranch is beautiful and we found lots of little places to sit at watch the world go by. If you do visit, be sure to make some time for the Hummingbird station, Amazing! Rick the naturalist defiantly knows his stuff and it is well worth spending some time at the nature centre.

The horse riding was fun and we especially enjoyed the breakfast walk. The 3 ½ hour mountain walk was lovely but a little to long for me. After 4 days the novelty of riding wore off for us so we filled our time doing other activities, Fishing Hiking ect! I will mention though, the Tombstone excursion we went on we thought was overpriced. $75.00 per person with a minimum of 4 people on the trip for it to go – The $75.00 was for the transfer only, an hour away if that! No packlunch was supplied by the ranch (even though we were all staying all inclusive) and when we got to Tombstone we had to pay extra to see the gunfight!! - that’s my only complaint :-)

The food at the ranch was really very good and we liked that during the week the Ranch held dinner in different locations. The Cookout was our favourite!

The Ranchers that we came across were friendly enough but we did encounter some guests who would say otherwise. Dontay was friendly and Jonathan the head rancher was great and what a dancer Jonathan is. Mike and Mark were also fine to deal with. The most helpful on the Ranch was Nicholas, the Manager – After some bad news from home he was very approachable and helpful to our situation. Thanks Again!!

All in all we have a brilliant start to our Honeymoon staying at this Ranch. We met some amazing people some who go back year after year and some like us were there for the first time. Defiantly recommend this place.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Emma H
I am so glad you had a great start to your Honeymoon. Congratulations again! We are proud that you chose Tanque Verde Ranch for such a special occasion. Thank you for your feedback about the Tombstone trip. We will discuss your comments and see what we can do to add value to the adventure. It is amazing how close you can get to nature out here. The hummingbirds are one of my favorites. I love the nature trail as well. Every time I take a stroll I meet new critters. We are constantly looking for ways to keep our riding programs fresh. Next time you visit check out some of our new additions; I think you will enjoy them. Thanks again for staying with us.