“Yee-HAW! Can't wait to go back!”
Review of Tanque Verde Ranch

Tanque Verde Ranch
Ranked #27 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Dayton, Ohio
“Yee-HAW! Can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Short notice, mini-vacation with a friend to Tanque Verde in mid-May was terrific! We were there about four days, and wore ourselves out before 10 pm each night. So much to do, i'm already planning my next trip!

As other reviewers have said, rooms are basic, but very comfortable. The view from our room (23) was fantastic. Very quiet, too (although the rest of the room block was empty during our stay).

Free transport to/from the airport is convenient and welcomed - no need for a car. Management and staff were delightful and helpful, with no exceptions! They were attentive without being over-bearing. No question was dismissed, and they seemed genuniely interested in making sure we were enjoying our stay.

The main event: Horsies! Almost 200 on the ranch... As a relative novice rider, the wranglers were fairly quick to assess me, and get me matched with an appropriate ride. Went through the "Fun-damentals" and "Intermediate" lessons. Lessons were reasonably efficient given we had perhaps 5-8 students in each "class". Moved us quickly through the basics, and my degree of comfort on horseback was much better by the end of my stay.

The "walk" rides, and the "ride to breakfast" were suitable for my skill level. The "mountain adventure" ride was perhaps a bit too long for my tastes. It became a bit more of a slog after the first two hours - especially as the day became warmer.

"Penning Competition" and "Fun-kana" are NOT to be missed! Even if you don't ride, you need to see it! I can now add "Cow Organizer" to my resume, as i had a chance to move calves around from horseback. Another item off my bucket list...

Most spectacular moment, however, was watching Jonathan (head wrangler?) take Goose - a 2,000+ pound Percheron - through the barrels. Astonishing horsemanship. A ton of horse cornering like a sportscar is not something you see every day.

Food? Lots of variety, very good quality, and helpful staff. No complaints. The pastry staff is top notch!

My companion enjoyed the early morning birding hike with the naturalist (while i slept in), as well as a few mountain bike rides. The evening programs were enjoyable and informative, too.

Can't wait for my next trip! This is a place like no other...

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank daisyfae
GeoffreyFCampbell, Director of Operations at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, 27 May 2012
It sounds like you had a great time! Jonathon is AMAZING! Thank you so much for your compliments; I look forward to sharing them with the staff (and horsies.) We will see you next time!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2012

My Husband and I stayed at the Ranch in May 2012 as part of our Honeymoon. We were very pleased with our choice. The ranch is beautiful and we found lots of little places to sit at watch the world go by. If you do visit, be sure to make some time for the Hummingbird station, Amazing! Rick the naturalist defiantly knows his stuff and it is well worth spending some time at the nature centre.

The horse riding was fun and we especially enjoyed the breakfast walk. The 3 ½ hour mountain walk was lovely but a little to long for me. After 4 days the novelty of riding wore off for us so we filled our time doing other activities, Fishing Hiking ect! I will mention though, the Tombstone excursion we went on we thought was overpriced. $75.00 per person with a minimum of 4 people on the trip for it to go – The $75.00 was for the transfer only, an hour away if that! No packlunch was supplied by the ranch (even though we were all staying all inclusive) and when we got to Tombstone we had to pay extra to see the gunfight!! - that’s my only complaint :-)

The food at the ranch was really very good and we liked that during the week the Ranch held dinner in different locations. The Cookout was our favourite!

The Ranchers that we came across were friendly enough but we did encounter some guests who would say otherwise. Dontay was friendly and Jonathan the head rancher was great and what a dancer Jonathan is. Mike and Mark were also fine to deal with. The most helpful on the Ranch was Nicholas, the Manager – After some bad news from home he was very approachable and helpful to our situation. Thanks Again!!

All in all we have a brilliant start to our Honeymoon staying at this Ranch. We met some amazing people some who go back year after year and some like us were there for the first time. Defiantly recommend this place.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Emma H
I am so glad you had a great start to your Honeymoon. Congratulations again! We are proud that you chose Tanque Verde Ranch for such a special occasion. Thank you for your feedback about the Tombstone trip. We will discuss your comments and see what we can do to add value to the adventure. It is amazing how close you can get to nature out here. The hummingbirds are one of my favorites. I love the nature trail as well. Every time I take a stroll I meet new critters. We are constantly looking for ways to keep our riding programs fresh. Next time you visit check out some of our new additions; I think you will enjoy them. Thanks again for staying with us.
Benfleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2012

spent 7 nights at the ranch in may 2012 and had a fantastic time all the staff were so friendly and helpful. the food was grate with a good choice and all ways plenty to eat with fresh cakes and treats every day and fresh lemonade to drink all day was nice and refreshing in the heat of the day. the pancakes on the breakfast ride were fantastic and a grate bbq in the cottonwood with a county singer and dancing was grate.the pools spa bike riding and fishing along with the riding and the mounting ride made for a grate holiday and the views from the rooms were amazing. and a drink in the dog house solon was a nice way to end the day. a big thanks to all the staff for a grate holiday.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for staying with us and thanks for the feedback! Seven nights is most certainly the way to go. There is soooooo much to see and do. I am glad you got to enjoy all the great things we have to offer; including the refreshing drinks in the doghouse. We will see you next time!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 12 May 2012

(My family and I came in and stayed for four days and three nights. We have a 1 year old and a four year old.)

This is not a good place.

The horse riding lessons are a joke, definitely not worth the stay. The rides themselves were dull.

The staff varies between rude, indifferent and sometimes nice. Signing up for activities was an ordeal because they were so unhelpful.

The food is bad. But all you can eat! :(

The pool is nice, and the hot weather made it a good place to hang out. This is why it gets two starts and not one.

Overall, a big disappointment.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank MrBillyMac
It is difficult to justify such a poor response with so little information offered by the guest. Our passionate and engaged staff care deeply about each guest experience. It truly is difficult to find an explanation for such an isolated response.

I think this is a great place for guests and associates alike.

The horse riding lessons are carefully adapted to the skill level of the riders. Our wranglers have voiced great satisifaction in seeing the smiles of our guests as they learn new skills in our world class environment.

The rides are not dull according to the vast majority of our guests. The Sonoran Desert is unlike any other place in the world. We have several biomes replete with a diversity of fauna and flora available for our guests to enjoy on our vast unspoiled landscape. With so much to see and experience, it is difficult to understand what is dull about the experience. We also offer different paced rides for our guests, based on their comfort and skill level. Our Wranglers are talented professionals considered among the best in the industry. I am sorry you did not find them exceptional. This is not only my opinion, but the opinion of the vast majority of our guests.

Rude and indifferent attitudes would never be tolerated from our employees. Our selection process and training programs embrace talent and service. Everything we attempt to do is for the convenience of our guests. I am sorry this was not the perception.

Signing up for activities is meant to be a seamless process. We have recently moved our programs office to be even more convenient to the guests with a 24 hour front desk ajoining our programs office. We understand that with so much to do at the Ranch, some guests may not wish to stop by the Programs Office. This is why we approach every table every evening to ensure each guest is signed up for all activities.

In regards to food quality; I am shocked. I reviewed our surveys and logbooks attempting to see if there were any trends in regards to food presentation, taste, temperature or freshness. Our plated gourmet dinner is not all you can eat. In order to provide the custom meals we prepare each day, care is taken in the harvesting of ingredients and presentation for each plate. We offer a diversity of dining options to appeal to all of our guests. We have a great wine list and offer an upscale culinary experience to our guests. We also have an exceptional BBQ which some guests may consider "all you can eat." Trust me, with the robust cuts of strip steak we offer, they are quite filling.

We are reviewing all comments concerning food quality and working hard to ensure every guest has the feedback of exceeding all expectations.
Munich
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We had really nice time there trough our stay in July 2011.
The riding experience was good, also was the food and the lodging. We had the Hacienda Suite.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sebastian F
GeoffreyFCampbell, Director of Operations at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Thanks for the feedback. I am glad you had a great time back in July! I hope you can visit us again soon. Thanks for staying with us!