“Amazing”

Ranked #27 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Amazing”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

My husband and I spent a week riding at the ranch and we did not want to leave.

We rode every day, ate like kings, slept like babies and drank like alcoholics.

The staff were attentive and nothing seemed to much trouble. The room (room 12) was fab with a real working fire and his and her's sinks.

Apart from riding there were plenty of other activities such as hiking, mountain biking, fishing and bird watching.

The pools were empty most of the time so spending time alone was not a issue.

The "dog house" made cocktails to order. I would defiantly recommend the "dirty spur",

The worst thing about the ranch was having to leave.

We will be back

Room Tip: We had room 12 which had 2 double beds, a dining table and chairs and a working fire place.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jackie S
GeoffreyFCampbell, Director of Operations at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Thank you for your "amazing" review!

The "dirty spur" is a classic.

I am so glad that you and your husband had a great time.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Gravesend, Kent
Reviewed 27 April 2012

As someone who has been a keen rider my whole life and has always dreamt of going to a ranch, Tanque Verde had a lot to live up to. I am pleased to say it met my expectations and more!

The riding opportunities are excellent - I took full advantage and rode 3 times a day. The horses are responsive and the wranglers were great and full of personality - they always made an effort to match you to a horse that would suit you and were great fun to be around. Despite what I have read in some other reviews, the lope check was relatively straightforward for a competent rider and the lope rides were brilliant. I travelled with my partner who was only a beginner but he loved the walking rides and got involved with the team penning which was great. Also, make sure you take part in the Funkhana if you want to give barrell racing a try!

The staff were the most friendly and helpful I have ever come across and a special mention should go to Lisa the barmaid who made the quiet evenings in the Doghouse Saloon extremely entertaining!

I am itching to book another trip to Tanque Verde! It is easy to see why so many of the other guests we met out there were returning after many visits.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank J0Kelly
GeoffreyFCampbell, Director of Operations at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
I am so glad we exceeded your expectations! Thank you so much for your review and thank you for staying with us. We are anxious for you to return as well. We are constantly working on ways to improve everyday. See you soon!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 April 2012

There have been many exceptionable reviews of the Tanque Verde Resort in Tripadvisor, and, indeed it was many of those reviews which persuaded my wife and I to spend five nights and six days there in early March. This dude ranch (resort) is so diverse that it appeals to a varied array of travelers. We met singles, young families with young children, families with teenagers, honeymooners, grandparents with their entire extended families; to the person, they were having the time of their lives! With so many terrific reviews by all sorts of guests, I will restrict this review to our experience and perspective as two seasoned travelers in our mid sixties looking for something different.

I am sixty-seven, my wife sixty-six, we are retired and have stayed in 4 & 5 star hotels and resorts all over the world. We have been on many Crystal cruises, and whether for business or pleasure, we have simply been fortunate to experience the finest in travel during the past forty years. I mention this background only to give you the context of how we would evaluate a resort. Believe me, when you accept the fact that a dude ranch is a completely different environment than a say a Ritz Carlton resort, and its approach and mission is, therefore completely different, after a stay there I think you will say that you enjoyed the Tanque Verde as much as any 5 star resort or cruise.

My wife loves horses and and has wanted to go to a dude ranch for years. When I finally said yes she researched the best (four spur) ranches with warm climate for early March and chose the Tanque Verde. We had trepidations. Would there be too many kids? (We have been there, done that) Would the food be good? What about the rooms? Would we like the people? What about the several negative reviews in Tripadvisor? Would this really be a luxury resort?

It only took a few hours for those fears to be extinguished. We arrived at 10:00 AM, checked in right away and our room was ready (Here’s a tip--it doesn’t matter if the room isn’t ready as long as you have your jeans & boots ready to go. You can eat and partake in the riding immediately. The room will not matter). The upgrade didn’t hurt and it was one of the largest suites we have ever stayed in. We had a private patio that overlooked the desert and the national park., huge bathroom and working fireplace in the living room. The next surprise was lunch, partially a buffet, with casual waiter service in the magnificent dining room. Food was great. We noticed that there were almost no children in the dining room; it was then we were informed that they had a separate dining room. For two adults always looking for restaurants and hotels without children, we were never in way bothered by the many kids that were there that week. (Children had planned activities separated from the adults) Dinner was a again a real surprise, the food was as good as any five star resort, the only difference was the service was much more casual (at dinner there were white table cloths and no buffet); not less professional, just more casual. But remember, this is a dude ranch, you can have dinner in your jeans! We really enjoyed the the many guests we met. We started with a table for two, but soon migrated to one of the many large “communal” tables to dine with the many people we met.

We loved the riding. And do not give a thought to your skill level; we were beginners and had a ball. Riding into the mountains for the blueberry breakfast is not to be forgotten. I’m a fly fisherman and loved just standing by the small pond and casting for bass; I did it every day.The wranglers were all professional, experienced and friendly. We especially liked Martin. All of the staff was just great. But how often do you come back from a ride and the GM is in the stable waiting to help you off your horse, Nicholas Gold is that kind of GM. One of the most attentive and good natured I have ever met. Leigh-Ann Kindberg, the Director of Guest Services was a true saint. Whether it was the great room, ready when we got there, or the riding boots waiting for my wife, Leigh-Ann was a real professional. There was nothing we needed that was not provided instantly.

When we first saw the pricing we thought it looked a bit expensive. But, with everything that ended up being included, when we left, we thought it was a great bargain. If you are looking for that western experience of your dreams you will not be disappointed!! A final thought. Earlier I mentioned a few negative reviews in Tripadvisor; I can only think that those people went to a different ranch. Not only did we have zero complaints, but we spoke to no one who had any issues whatsoever. Ignore those comments and you too will have the time of life!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BostonTraveler61
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us a thorough review.

Leigh-Ann and Nicholas are truly exceptional! Thank you for your positive feedback about our staff and services.

We think of ourselves as very unique in regards to experiences we offer, but consider our professionalism and service levels among the very best in the Hospitality Industry.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your return.
WILTSHIRE
Reviewed 19 April 2012

My family of 9 spent 3 days (over the Easter Holidays) of a 15-day Arizona road trip at Tanque Verde and of the 10 locations we visited and stayed at, Tanque Verde was our favourite. We all agreed that this made the holiday a holiday of a lifetime and we are already planning our return.

Travelling with Olds and Youngs and varying energy levels is challenging but the ranch provided a good mix of activities for all. The children were well catered for and even our 3 year old was able to attend the club accompanied by an adult - which was great as her 6 year old twin sisters were in the club and they were not separated.

"Ride him like you stole him" became our catch phrase! Rebecca, Dante, Jonathan, Ashley - all of the Wranglers were wonderful. My mum is a large lady and there was no judgement or embarrassment for her with this amazing team. They helped her retain her dignity, really looked after her and gave plenty of encouragement when it came to the riding - it made her holiday and I'm very grateful.

The food was great - considering they cater for so many. The buffets were better than the a la carte as there was a big delay when we went. But the food was lovely when it came. Breakfasts are hearty and they even made a special effort to get some Goat Milk in for me and my daughter who cant have cows product - this is just the kind of special touch that makes Tanque Verde better. Even the Bellagio in Vegas wouldn't do that!

The whole experience was incredible - hiking, mountain biking, riding, children's club, even water aeorobics etc but I cant help but feel there could have been a little more variety on offer. For example, buggy rides for less able people so they could get out and explore, a clay pigeon shoot (maybe they cant because of the noise for the horses?) or even a target area with bows/arrows. I'm not trying to turn it into an activity centre but a couple of complementary activities would be great as there is such a big emphasis on the programme.

The only critique I would give would be the rooms - rather more the bathrooms. Yes, they are meant to be rustic and I get that the property is older (& lovely!) but the toiletries were very basic and its an easy win to provide good quality toiletries and the water wasn't always hot for a shower. The grout was a little tired for example. The fridge in the room was great as were the linen, beds, large wardrobe and blankets but again, something as simple as the shower curtain being less basic is an easy win. I think a tiny bit more effort into the rooms/bathrooms would go a long way. I can see from the other reviews that this is a key point being made.

I'd like to thank Nicholas and the team for such a memorable stay and we look forward to receiving yet another heart felt & warm welcome when we return. We miss you already!

Room Tip: We had a room in a Court Yard away from the main bustle. This was good for us.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank SHEENAGILL
GeoffreyFCampbell, Director of Operations at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
I am so flattered that we were your favorite! I specifically remember our Chef rushing out to get your goat milk. I apologize about the delay with the food; we will work on making our food and beverage options more efficient. In regards to providing more activities, we are constantly looking for ways to improve our programming. Thank you for your suggestions. We are currently remodeling our bathrooms; we agree they needed refreshing. I am glad that this adventure was Evie's best time ever. I cannot wait for you to return to make your next stay even better. We will see you soon!
Silver Spring
Reviewed 15 April 2012

While my husband was deployed he begged me to find a family vacation where we would "Do Something". Normally, I plan beach vacations, cruises, or group tours. We found Tanque Verde through an internet search and I was impressed by the number families who return year after year. The best review I can give is to say that we already booked our trip for next spring break. I think we, too, will be one of those families where Tanque Verde will become a family tradition.

The kids program is top notch. They go above and beyond in making sure your child is safe on the horses. My children (age 6 and 9) made friends that they still talk about and want to visit. I spent most of my day horse riding (and I hadn't been on a horse in over 30++ years). I immediately fell in love and started taking horseback riding lessons on my return home. The wranglers really make the program. They put safety first while making the experience fun and the surroundings are breathtaking. The mountain ride was probably my favorite second to the lope rides. When we weren't horseback riding we took part in the hikes. I was impressed with the naturalist knowledge, and, their incredible skills in dealing with children. Rick (one of the naturalist) dealt with my 6 yr old son who was holding a snake and my 9 yr old daughter who was crying in the corner in fear of snakes. By the end of the week, even my 9 yr old daughter was touching the snakes. Janys led a fabulous and educational hike on "Food and Pharmacy in the Desert". My husband was able to mountain bike....and they even added an additional advanced bike ride recognizing his love for biking.

Tanque Verde is more than a ranch, it is a community. Nick (the general manager) was literally everywhere helping with horses, serving pancakes, in the gift shop, nature center, etc always trying to get to know our family and make our stay the best. The front desk staff are of the highest quality. Juan went out of his way to help me buy boots for my husband. The entire front desk staff was incredibly accommodating and very friendly.

We stayed in Room 56. It was a corner suite. The room was above average and probably the only thing on the ranch that could be improved. The beds were comfortable, and, to be honest we fell asleep soundly every night. The master bedroom had a queen bed and the living room had 2 full size couches that pulled out into beds. I think the bathrooms (which are more than adequate) need updating and I heard that is a work in progress. Believe me, this is very minor feedback as we did not spend anytime in the room. We recognize this is a ranch. We really enjoyed the patio off our room for a glass of wine while the kids were sleeping.

We can't wait to return next year! Our family has been on Disney cruises and has traveled around the world. This, by far, has been our best vacation in balancing family time, activities for everyone, and high quality staff. You can't go wrong with this vacation...if only we could find a way to not make a 51 week interval between trips!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Coopdedo
GeoffreyFCampbell, Director of Operations at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, 26 May 2012
Wow! Thank you so much for your feedback. The Kids program is truly spectacular. Kids and Parents agree it is way cool and truly connects kids with something special that they cannot get anywhere else in the World. Sharing your feedback with the team is truly exciting; you should see the smiles you bring to all of our faces. It is really neat to see our guests taking it all in and having a truly memorable experience. And yes, you heard correctly, we are making some improvements in our guestrooms. We'll see you next Spring!