“Revived and Reenergized at Miraval”

Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
nyc
“Revived and Reenergized at Miraval”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

A wonderful three day experience! I met two close college girlfriends for a long-weekend at Miraval and it was well worth the trek to Tucson. The trip started by meeting Edward at the airport who is was so welcoming and instilled this positive, cheerful feeling upon arriving in Tucson. I arrived on a Thursday which seems to be a popular transition day and so my room was not available when I arrived so I went on a tour or the property and had some lunch and then attended the anti-inflammatory diet lecture that was extremely informative. My room was finally ready at 2pm so my advice would be to wear your workout clothes on the plane or have them in your carry-on so that you can change and take advantage of some of the classes as soon as you arrive. I took several of the yoga classes and enjoyed all of them and even fell asleep during one of the classes to give you an idea of how relaxing the class was. The fitness classes were all really fun and would highly recommend CardioDrumming and Zumba. I had never Zumba'd before and was quite nervous prior to taking the class but it was really fun and what an amazing workout. Throughout the weekend I felt so relaxes even when stepping out of my comfort zone because everyone from the staff to the guests were all unbelievably friendly; you can't help feeling happy while staying here. I also didn't have any expectations going into the trip except to catch up with my girlfriends and hopefully relax and that may have helped make the experience even more amazing. I attended the Reflect and Transcend lecture with Coach Leigh and that was an incredible lecture. She is an amazing speaker and just felt the examples/stories she was sharing was completely relatable.
My spa treatments included the lavender scalp treatment, outdoor nurture massage and focus massage and each treatment was fantastic. I've been fortunate to have had some massages at some really great spas around the world and all three of the treatments here were great. Yes, the treatments were pricey but I felt they were pretty comparable to prices at other highly rated spas. The breakfast buffet was my favorite between the choice of fresh juices/smoothies and the buffet or special options. I enjoyed the lunch buffer as well and usually found myself making a very hearty salad to help get me through the day. Throughout the day I would stop over at the juice/smoothie bar and get myself a fresh juice drink or cafe latte to help me get though the day. Dinner options were also very good but more hit or miss. The great part was that you can try whatever you like and so I always found a few things on the menu that enjoyed.
My favorite part of the trip was the Equine Experience because of the things you learn about yourself just by working with the horses. Experiencing this and having the open discussion with two of my close friends was even more special and an experience that I feel brought us even closer together.
The rooms were pleasant and the bed was unbelievably comfortable. I didn't really spend much time in the room except to sleep because the weather is so beautiful and there are so many things to do I just felt it was a waste of time to spend it in the room. The resort is very quiet no matter what time of day and all you really hear are the birds chirping.
I would definitely recommend Miraval to others and would come back again in the future.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank nina212
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
Hi Nina! Thanks so much for writing such a thorough review. I'm glad you and your girlfriends were able to take advantage of so many fitness classes and lectures during your stay. I'm glad the peaceful environment of the resort gave you the relaxing time you needed. I'll make sure to pass your kudos on to Coach Leigh - she really is a gem! And the Equine Experience has been a core program for Miraval since the beginning... it's always nice to hear that it continues to touch our guests' lives. I look forward to seeing you on your next visit!
Michael
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Spent the weekend with a girlfriend here in April. The rooms are very nice, but could use a tiny bit of maintenance. As well, doors on the bathroom that are not louvered would be nice. I like to share, but not that much. We did a massage our first afternoon and it was great. A little pricey, but worth it. Then we did the chef's dinner and that turned out to be really good and fun. Again, pretty pricey. The next day we did the zip-line, which I would recommend. Not what I was expecting. If you feel like challenging yourself and going outside your comfort zone, give it a try. We also did "It's Not About the Horse" and guess what? It had nothing to do with horses. Wyatt was superb at leading the group through issues of fear and self-doubt, but be prepared to confront some truths about yourself. The Talking Circle was a bit of a bust. I felt like everyone else at the resort was so genuine and authentic, but Tony seemed more like a salesman. The Talking Circle had no additional charge and I hope it wasn't indicative of what the activities with no fee are like.
The food at the resort was a mixed bag. Everything is healthy and prepared in a way that is mindful of your body, so no really bad things (other than alcohol) and the portions make sense. The breakfast and lunch buffets were really good with a variety of things offered as well as a couple menu items if that's what you want. The dinner was not as good. Most of the food had been pre-prepared, or at least that is what I am assuming since our appetizers and meals came out super fast yet not very hot. The Night with the Chef gave us some high expectations and I think for the dollars you get charged to come to this resort they really need to do a better job on dinner. The staff and service were extremely helpful and I am definitely going to return.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank jacknmacksmom
Hi There - Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay and appreciated our staff and service. I'm glad to hear that you went outside your comfort zone and challenged yourself with the Desert Sky Zipline and It's Not About the Horse with Wyatt Webb - you're absolutely right, it's not about the horse at all! I'm glad that you enjoyed Evening with the Chef though I'm sorry to hear that your experience in the dining room did not meet your expectations. Our culinary team focuses on fresh (local when possible) ingredients to make delicious healthy food for our guests. I do hope to see you when you return!
TArzana
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I will first start by telling you how much I was anticipating this trip. I had been told by several of my friends how wonderful Miraval was. I was very disappointed and then some! I found the accommodations very dated and the exercise rooms and equipment older and in need on replacement. The instruction given by the so called exercise professionals was okay at best. The instructors were not attentive and the classes lacked space and room to move around. The classes also seemed to be geared towards beginners. THe weekend I was there it rained which forced most of the outdoor activities indoors and the resort was not well prepared which resulted in classes being very crowded.

The service was awful. The service in the dining room was almost nonexistent and trying to get a live person on the phone when calling from your room resulted in being passed to a answering machine. I paid almost $2000 for two nights if not more when you add in the spa fees. The spa is being redone at the moment and temporarily is housed in rooms with a waiting area that lacks in any type of ambiance or sense of zen that you are supposed to have when visiting a spa. Yet- the prices remain the same and lack a proper locker room, quiet room, and other things that you expect when visiting a top notch spa facility.
The classes that you can sign up for which included lectures and outside activities fill up so quickly that even as I was up at 7am they were full. Totally unacceptable.

The staff was almost nonexistent most of the weekend and where they were in the dining room I have no idea. I waited 40 minutes just to get a drink ordered filled. When I finally went to leave he resort on my final day there a bill was left at my door and I was told that my bags must be ready to go at 11. My ride to the airport was leaving at 2. I was not asked by anyone about how my stay was and when I was waiting for the van to pick me up from Miraval I wasn't asked by anyone how my stay was but the 2 couples leaving from their villa stays next to me was ushered to their car by a Miraval entourage and given waters for their ride. The people waiting for the van(including myself)didn't get a goodbye,waters or anything. When I decided to contact Miraval(not expecting anything)just to inform them about my extreme disappointment about my stay they seemed very surprised. When I mentioned the treatment I received at the end of my stay while waiting for the van the manager of the resort let me know that when you by a 4 million dollar villa of course those people would get different treatment and that I should realize"this is life" I was so angered by her response I hung up. I just spend what I consider a good amount of money for myself and my sister to stay over $5000 for two nights(maybe more) and they were basically telling me that my money isn't enough and doesn't mean a thing. So basically- If your going to Miraval and your not spending 4 million on a villa don't expect your $5000 to do a thing for you. Miraval you should be ashamed of yourself. I will continue to talk up my experience to everyone I know. "Life in Balance"-What a Joke!

Room Tip: Unless you have 4 million to spend on a villa-don't go! Terrible customer service!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
18 Thank alanaNAhmias
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear Alana,

To follow up on my most recent letter I sent to you, wherein I addressed the issues you spoke of, I want to thank you, for spending above and beyond your package on spa services, retail purchases and other items. Both you and your roommate received a bounceback offer plus a complimentary room upgrade on your next visit to Miraval from me to make up for the disappointments you outlined. It is true that Villa owners at Miraval have a different level of service and a completely custom owner experience that they pay for beyond the Miraval experience.

As stated in my letter, we will be looking forward to welcoming you back to Miraval when our goal will be to deliver a Miraval Experience that will exceed all of your expectations. Please contact my office directly so that I might oversee every detail of your next visit personally.

Sheridan, Wyoming
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I took the plunge and spent four nights/five days at Miraval in mid March in order to regroup following several losses in my life. What a perfect place to do that! The staff working there are tuned into what their visitors need to get back on track - exercise, excellent food, spa treatments, physical challenges, chill out spa work, group sessions, opportunities for one on one discussions with leaders, fantastic casitas to stay in, and an incredibly calming, centering environment. I can't say enough good about it. GO!

I also greatly appreciated that cell phone use is discouraged except when in your own room and in one courtyard area. However, I saw several people using their phones on the grounds, and I'd love to see that controlled more so the rest of us can truly disconnect.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Joanne1967_10
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Hi Joanne - I'm so glad that you "took the plunge" and came to Miraval and that our team was able to give you what you needed. Also, I appreciate your feedback about the cell phones around property. I hope to see you back at Miraval in the near future to experience the brand new spa that opens May 1st!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I had a wonderful 5 days/4 nites at Miraval with a friend..weather early week of March was beautiful..I could have used another day or two..there were so many wonderful options for treatments/seminars etc..The food was outstanding. The staff were amazing..and I will come back again this year to realign all over again. The diverse services are not matched anywhere.

Room Tip: Request private view versus location near a walking path
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for writing! I'm glad to hear that you were happy with your stay and that you were able to focus on "realigning" yourself. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip!