“I really wanted to like this place”
Review of The Liberty Elm Diner - CLOSED

The Liberty Elm Diner
Cuisines: Diner
Description: Featured on the Food Network show Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives
Description: Featured on the Food Network show Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives
Reviewed 28 September 2012

After spending a Sunday morning in Providence, we decided to stop by this DDD recommended diner. Our server was very friendly, but she was also very friendly with all of her other tables and we had to wait a while for our order to be taken and then later on, for the check.

The menu was smaller than most other breakfast places, but that was ok. I was a bit taken by with some of the prices like $9.99 for a cheese omelet with homefries and an english muffin. Even in my latest trip to Los Angeles I never paid that much for this seemingly breakfast standard.

We waited nearly 30 minutes for our food which seemed a little long for a half full breakfast restaurant. But when the food came, so did more disappointment. My omelet was more like a sponge and less like any eggs that I've ever had. The cheese was minimal too. MH got an authentic Mexican breakfast dish and wasn't that impressed either.

Our daughter had 2 pancakes and while I realize that I'm probably one of 3 people in the world who prefers Aunt Jemima's syrup to actual maple syrup, I still found her pancakes tasting bland and even worse when dipped into the Vermont syrup (all they serve). We won't be going back and unfortunately the big highlight of our breakfast was the big poster of Guy Fieri hanging in the bathroom.

Reviewed 19 September 2012

Wow! Terrific time-went for the Johnnycakes-first time trying them and my family was split. Pancakes and eggs were great and the service was over the top-couldn't have been nicer. Even gave the kids 'coffee milk' on the house. Deinitely worth going out of your way for.

1  Thank billruns331
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Definitely not your average diner. Way above average, in fact. The staff could not be friendlier and the food could not be tastier. Its a straight blast into the past walking into this gem. The place looks great for a 65 year old diner car with so much of its original tiling! The bathroom was clean enough to eat in, though I'm sure other patrons would not appreciate that much at all. The ambiance is eclectic and amusing...quirky artwork, great garnish, and funky kitch every which way you look. Our waitress was immensely helpful and knowledgeable with the menu. And as for the food, you can taste the quality. Home fries were superb, eggs were cooked to perfection, and the house baked apple pie made my year, let alone my day. If you are in the fair city at any point make it a point to visit this place. It's full of real people and good food. You will feel at home.

4  Thank PVDFoodFan
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Charming true diner fare with a great updated twist. Service was friendly and on their game. Coffee was fresh. Customized an omelet with crispy bacon cheese and veggies, not very unusual but it was cooked perfectly and was nice and hot with the cheese oosing out of the sides, Had a side of one of their fluff sandwiches and was brought back to my childhood. Homey atmosphere could make this my daily morning pick me up. Great job. See you in a few days.

2  Thank Trashman621
Reviewed 1 September 2012

After watching the Food Network special on Diners, Drive-In's and Dives I was excited to try The Liberty. I drove about 40 miles and met a friend there. I arrived at about 9:30 - the diner was fairly empty. I waited about 7 mins before I could get the waitress' attention and ask for coffee. After my friend arrived - we also experienced the same wait time to get another beverage. I asked for a coffee refill which again took forever to get there!
My gal pal ordered a special summer veggie omelet with bacon. I ordered 1 johnny cake and 2 eggs with well done bacon. After about 5 minutes the waitress returned to inform me that were out of homefries - kind of bummed - but at least I still had my johnnycake to look forward to! After about another 5 min the waitress came back and said they were out of johnnycakes!! WHAT!?!? I was not impressed. I ended up with a side of beans which were so bland I barely touched them. They also forgot my bacon - I asked for the bacon (which was supposed to be well done) it came out barely cooke - that too I left on the plate.
Overall, not impressed. The waitress did give me a handmade card for an free order of johnnycakes which was nice but honestly if I didnt have a free order to go back for - I would not go back.

2  Thank sandngriff