“Classic Atmosphere, Class Act Staff”
Review of The Liberty Elm Diner - CLOSED

The Liberty Elm Diner
Cuisines: Diner
Description: Featured on the Food Network show Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives
Description: Featured on the Food Network show Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Definitely not your average diner. Way above average, in fact. The staff could not be friendlier and the food could not be tastier. Its a straight blast into the past walking into this gem. The place looks great for a 65 year old diner car with so much of its original tiling! The bathroom was clean enough to eat in, though I'm sure other patrons would not appreciate that much at all. The ambiance is eclectic and amusing...quirky artwork, great garnish, and funky kitch every which way you look. Our waitress was immensely helpful and knowledgeable with the menu. And as for the food, you can taste the quality. Home fries were superb, eggs were cooked to perfection, and the house baked apple pie made my year, let alone my day. If you are in the fair city at any point make it a point to visit this place. It's full of real people and good food. You will feel at home.

4  Thank PVDFoodFan

Reviewed 11 September 2012

Charming true diner fare with a great updated twist. Service was friendly and on their game. Coffee was fresh. Customized an omelet with crispy bacon cheese and veggies, not very unusual but it was cooked perfectly and was nice and hot with the cheese oosing out of the sides, Had a side of one of their fluff sandwiches and was brought back to my childhood. Homey atmosphere could make this my daily morning pick me up. Great job. See you in a few days.

2  Thank Trashman621
Reviewed 1 September 2012

After watching the Food Network special on Diners, Drive-In's and Dives I was excited to try The Liberty. I drove about 40 miles and met a friend there. I arrived at about 9:30 - the diner was fairly empty. I waited about 7 mins before I could get the waitress' attention and ask for coffee. After my friend arrived - we also experienced the same wait time to get another beverage. I asked for a coffee refill which again took forever to get there!
My gal pal ordered a special summer veggie omelet with bacon. I ordered 1 johnny cake and 2 eggs with well done bacon. After about 5 minutes the waitress returned to inform me that were out of homefries - kind of bummed - but at least I still had my johnnycake to look forward to! After about another 5 min the waitress came back and said they were out of johnnycakes!! WHAT!?!? I was not impressed. I ended up with a side of beans which were so bland I barely touched them. They also forgot my bacon - I asked for the bacon (which was supposed to be well done) it came out barely cooke - that too I left on the plate.
Overall, not impressed. The waitress did give me a handmade card for an free order of johnnycakes which was nice but honestly if I didnt have a free order to go back for - I would not go back.

2  Thank sandngriff
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Interesting and historic diner. Spotlessly clean inside. Good but SLOOOW service (I expect the chef..).

However, they need to spend a few hundred $s cleaning/ spiffing up the outside.

Clearly one of the worst breakfasts we've had in a long time. Breakfast burrito - tortilla was overcooked (read "crunchy"); omelet - out of many ingredients mentioned, served with the cheese not melted; and my side order of grits were the worst I've ever had - they were completely dried out - no moisture left - and inedible.

I'm hopeful this was the result of the regular chef out sick or the chef was hung over.

1  Thank JoeHouston52
Reviewed 15 August 2012

As usual for a diner, this place serves breakfast and lunch. For lunch, I ordered a quesadilla. I was told that they were out of cheddar cheese. How can a diner be out of cheddar cheese? So run down the block and go buy some! At that point, I was stumped; cheeseburgers are out, as were numerous other items. So I ended up with a croque monsieur, definitely a breakfast item, as it was made with cinnamon french toast and came with syrup. Sweet ham and swiss; that was a new one. Actually, it was quite good and the size of it was impressive.