“Exceptional Value!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Providence
Boston, Massachusetts
“Exceptional Value!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

I had an expiring certificate for a Marriott Rewards Premier Visa card that was good towards a stay at a Marriott Hotel that has a reward category of between 1and 5. The Marriott hotels that I've stayed in throughout New England have typically been Level 6 or higher. I had stayed at this hotel several years ago and it has been remodeled since my last stay so I made a reservation with my certificate at this hotel. Upon check-in we were greeted by Roland who enabled us to check in early with the amenities we typically require as a family of five (two double beds, with a rollaway, extra pillows and towels) Unlike the other Marriott's we've stayed in however, this Marriott does charge twenty dollars for the rollaway. On the plus side, the parking is free and ample. The lobby is smartly furnished and the corridors leading to the elevators are clean and also nicely appointed. It was a dreary day and rather than head out to the Roger Williams zoo as we intended, we stayed and went to the pool. Hot cider was available in the lobby and it was tasty and very much appreciated as we sat poolside. However, our time at the pool was cut short when I discovered an elastic bandage as well as several insect carcasses (carci?).....dead bugs that must have entered through the partition between the indoor and outdoor part of the pool.

We had access to the concierge lounge and we took full advantage of it. Appetizers included chicken tenders with a Asian honey glaze, a variety of cheeses (cheesi?),crackers and a great pasta fagiole. Later in the evening a dessert bar was offered and the following morning a great breakfast spread was waiting to be enjoyed. My wife feels this was the best concierge lounge that we have experienced as a family, and that includes the concierge lounges at the Newport Marriott, Marriott Cambridge and the Mariott Long Wharf in Boston. I don't disagree with her (at my own peril); I feel it's almost identical to the fare provided at the Marriott Quincy.

At checkout I was again greeted by Roland and my wife and I both extended our appreciation to him for the hospitality we experienced during our short stay at the Providence Marriott. We would definitely stay here again!

1 Thank Beantownsports
Jen_PVD, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Dear Beantownsports,
Thank you for your rave review! We appreciate when our guests take the time to share their experience with our Trip Advisor readers. Thank you for acknowledging Roland - we think he is awesome too! We also that you for pointing out that our parking is free. We continue to be the only hotel in Providence that offers complimentary parking.
We appreciate your wife's praises for our Concierge Lounge. We are flattered. We are glad you had the chance to enjoy the pool and are sorry about how you had to cut your swim short. I'm glad that you had a wonderful experience overall and that you plan on staying with us again. Hope it's soon!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Stamford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

My family stayed here for a weekend for a family wedding. They were extremely helpful getting rooms for my family all on the same floor. In addition, they found a room perfect for my 97 year old mother and her aide. The bathroom in her room had ample grab bars and a roll up sink in case she needed a wheel chair. We all had lunch in the dining room before the wedding, which was tasty and reasonable. My little nieces and nephews swam to their hearts content. The lobby was welcoming and provided apples, mulled cider or fruit infused water. The front desk made available written directions to all the venues for the wedding. They also were helpful when asked about places to visit while in the Providence area. All this while there were many conventions and meetings taking place there. The hotel was at 100% capacity. The bedding was good. The rooms were quiet and ample in size. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Higher floors will additionally shield you from the noise from Interstate 95.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jen_PVD, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear Mashkie,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our Trip Advisor readers. It is very important for us to take care of all of our guests - especially when the hotel is very busy. We understand that each guest is visiting us for a different reason (in your case a wedding) and may have different needs during their stay. It is our pleasure to provide such great service for you and your mother while you were here to celebrate such a joyous occasion. Thank you for your splendid comments. We hope to see you in Providence again soon.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

My relatives stayed here when they came to visit me. The first thing I noticed was the great customer service. The front lady who checked us in was very nice. She greeted us right when we entered the building. Our room was quite big and the beds were comfy. The best part about the hotel was their free shuttle to literally any where you want to go. They took us to Brown, the mall, train station, etc. Then when we were done, we called the hotel for a pick up. All the shuttle drivers were pleasant, especially the young early afternoon driver.

A couple small cons: My relatives said the food at Bluefin Grille was expensive, but good. The items in their coffee shop were overpriced, but that's to be expected. The hot tub had WAY too much chlorine; It took several showers to get the smell off my skin.

On the day of checkout, I called front desk to inform them that we were using express checkout (leaving room key in the room). The lady was very nice and asked if we enjoyed our stay and offered to send somebody to help with luggage.

Overall, I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Dear BrownSt13,
We are so pleased to hear that your relatives had a wonderful stay with us. Thank you for mentioning our exceptional quality of customer service. We feel that we do not only provide good service but that we make real connections with our guests. We want each guest experience to be special. And it was great to hear that you and your relatives had a memorable visit as well as a happy and relaxing one. Our outdoor lounge AQUA is officially open next month - hope to see you there!
Sussex, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

Drove in from New Jersey with some friends for a reunion in Newport. My experience was very very pleasant to say the least.
After the drive we wanted to wind down by having a cocktail at the bar. There are a couple of bars in the hotel and restaurant, by our surprise they had one outside by the pool. The courtyard, fire pits, and outside couches were a very peaceful touch. We became so comfortable outside we ended up drinking quite a bit before dinner.
I can't remember much of dinner at bluefin grill besides the new england clam chowder, YUM.
After dinner the hotel brought us in a shuttle downtown. This was great, saved us time and money on cabs. Later that night we got back to the hotel via taxi.

In summary my experience was very nice. Wish I had more time to relax by the pool and bar area outside. Will be staying at this place again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Driving in from NYC, free parking was definitely the selling point for me on this 2 night stay.

The price included breakfast which was very good, make own omelets and such. The room was large and had a king-sized bed which was very comfortable and bathroom with all amenities.

A short walk to a more central area which included the mall where there were some good restaurants to eat at, and of course the water fire during the summer was nice to see and had a great atmosphere. Definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jquinn887
Jen_PVD, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Dear jquinn887,
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Providence Marriott Downtown with our Trip Advisor readers. We are please to be the only hotel in Providence that offers free parking. It is a great value. We are also pleased to know that you booked one of our overnight packages that included breakfast. Our breakfast buffet is awesome - especially the omelets.
We hope to see you in the near future. A partial schedule for WaterFire has been released with more to come as the season draws near. Hope you are having a Happy Spring! See you soon!