All reviewsthe cottagesthe big thompson riverthe riverstep back in timelighter fluidtroutlarge deckfly fishgreat deckrocky mountain national parkenjoyed our staygreat place to stayfully equipped kitchenback porchrushing waterliving roomshort drive
Reviewed 26 December 2011

We finally had a chance to follow up on our wish to rent a cabin by the Big Thompson River near Estes Park. We were right over the river and could hear it rushing by as we cooked out on the lovely deck or sat inside reading. It's a quick drive to the town and fun shops and we didn't have to cart a lot of food up as the supermarket is just on the outskirts of town. We had a very comfortable bed and there was heat as we were there in late September. The staff were friendly, helpful and generous and we're hoping to go back next year.

Room Tip: Ask for the honeymoon cabin
2  Thank sallie4501
Reviewed 5 November 2011

The cabins are rustic and the bathroom is small, but the location right on the river is great, as is the scenery. We were greeted to a group of elk relaxing in the front yard of our cabin (#1) upon arrival. The balcony over the river was a highlight and at night it was very relaxing. This is a good place to stay if you don't need luxury and want to have some space for your family during a trip to Estes Park. It's a quick drive to town or to Rocky Mountain National Park (RMNP). The cabin was fairly large, with 2 bedrooms, a living room, a 'kitchen' area with a stove and sink and a separate small dining room that led out to the patio, with the bathroom off the back dining room.

We stayed for 2 nights in mid September. While the beds (new this year) were comfortable, it was very cold at night (even with the heater on) and a thick warm quilt would have been nice instead of the thin comforter (we froze the first night then turned the heater to high the second night). I might bring my own thick blanket if I returned during cooler weather. Chairs and a grill were provided on the deck. The owner was a little particular about things (like noting the precise location to park your car for your unit), but was friendly and let our group rearrange chairs and grills on the front lawn for a group barbecue.

Cell phone service was non-existent for our phones at this location but the free wifi did work. We drove 2 miles into town when we needed to make phone calls.

This would be a nice location to have an informal family reunion or gathering of friends. It is so convenient to RMNP and the town of Estes.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank J_in_Chan
Reviewed 15 October 2011

We stayed 6 nights early September. I will echo what others have said before me...if you are looking for luxury and fluff you will not find this here, it is not the place for you. If you are looking for a quite place to relax this is your place. We stayed in the 2 bedroom cabin with deck over the river. We could not have asked for a more peaceful, beautiful location. Everything was very clean, the kitchen was more than adequate (no microwave, not a problem for us). We enjoyed sitting on the deck at the end of a day of sightseeing. Used the grill once during our stay and it was nice to be able to do that. We spent much of our time in Estes Park sightseeing so lots of driving. Our best day was our last day there. We spent the day on the deck over the river, playing Scrabble and drinking a nice Colorado wine. The only problem I encountered was that this cabin does not have lamps in the bedrooms. So if you like to read before sleep as I do bring a reading light. A problem easily solved. I never once heard the road traffic. So noise was not a problem. Close enough to town. Just a beautiful location.
Bev was very welcoming to us. We did have limited cell service. When we checked in and she learned that my son was involved in the fires in Bastrop she readily offered her phone to me and told me my son could call on her phone anytime. We didn't have to do that but was very comforting to know we could have.

1  Thank Susan B
Reviewed 5 October 2011

This is one awesome place to stay in Estes Park, CO. Our cabin was right on the river with a deck over the water. The owner was like visiting my grandma, she was very helpful and a pleasure to do business with. This place is like a step back in time but thats its greatest asset. WONDERFUL PLACE

Reviewed 5 October 2011

We loved our September stay here. The deck over the river was fantastic, the kitchens were very functional and we were very pleased with the hot showers and comfy beds. We had limited cell service, but wifi is available. If you want to get close to nature and don't need 5 star luxuries, this is the place.

Room Tip: Ask Beverly for a cabin where the deck is over the river.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends