“Mountain View With Busy Street Milieu”
Review of The Lofts

The Lofts
We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Lofts
Telluride, Colorado
“Mountain View With Busy Street Milieu”
Reviewed 27 August 2011

I love marketing and advertising. The right description and a couple of favorable photos and you have a gorgeous travel destination with a super high asking price. Estes Park itself is fantastic. A precious little mountain village surrounded by snowcapped mountain peaks, it offers lots to do and charming shops and restaurants. But this condo was an expensive, noisy, uncomfortably hot disappointment.

Unit 4 is a contemporary condo with typical California design. What could have been a fun, flirty upbeat modern urban designed was turned tragic by poor interior design choices. As an interior designer, I was especially sensitive to the bad combination of Knotty pine ceilings, cabinets and trim with hip dark stained hardwood floors. Apparently the idea was to create cabin chic, but the result is an aesthetically impaired mess. Horrible pink window shades, stained carpet and area rugs and a complete disregard for size to space furniture picks and framed prints completed the decorating faux pas.

There are only 2 windows that open outward: one up and one down. The rest are decorative only except for kitchen/living area which open at the floor only. Because the rear of the unit has no windows at all, there is no airflow. There is also no AC so the unit is unbearably hot and stuffy on hot summer days and into the night.

The unit faces a super busy street, so noise is a huge issue. It does offer mountain views, but one must first look past the packed Riverside parking lot directly across the street. Which raises another problem with this unit: no parking. There are 3 spaces onsite; otherwise a guest must jockey for a parking space across the street - in a lot where vehicles are already packed like lemmings. Rare that a space is actually available = big problem.

This was not the best choice for accommodation in Estes Park, and not worth the huge per night price tag. Next time we will plan further ahead to avoid having to settle for 'what's left over.'

There was one endearing quality to this overpriced accommodation.

Room Tip: Stay off the busy town streets
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Secretariat1973
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 9 March 2011

Once we found the hotel that had our keys and than headed back to where our Loft was, it was wonderful. It was so nice to be greeted by the lights being turned on, a little note, a bottle of sparkling cider and a goodie bag. When we officially checked in the next morning we had some of their nice little breakfast and rented a few movies. It is agreed that we will be coming back again! What a great place!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed 28 February 2011

This is a great place in Estes Park. The room was very clean. The kitchen was very well equipped for cooking. The location is great - not noisy and within walking distance of downtown Estes. The staff at Fawn Valley Inn were great as well - very helpful and kind when checking in and out. We will be back for sure!!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Firestone, Colorado
Reviewed 17 February 2011

My husband and our son stayed one night at the Lofts over Valentines Day weekend and here are the wonderful things about the Lofts:

Beautiful inside, very spacious for a 1 bedroom loft! We stayed in condo #2 and it had a full kitchen, bathroom downstairs with a shower and a small living space next to the fireplace. Upstairs in the "loft" there is a jacuzzi tub in the bedroom and a bathroom with a shower. Of course right off the bedroom is a balcony/deck that overlooks Riverside Drive. The deck is surprisingly very private and that was nice. Best of all the price was right! They were one of the very few that did not have a minimum stay requirement and the price was right! Booking the condo was fantastic, after booking online (paying in full) I printed out my confirmation page and the day of arrival I called to see if we could check in early and they said it would not be a problem! They gave me the code to the room and we let ourselves right in. The only time we actually had to see them was to get a parking pass. The location was convenient, meaning that we didn't have to drive anywhere the entire time we were there! It was a 10 min walk to Mama Roses along the river, very nice.

Now the not so nice about the loft:

It was HOT, HOT, HOT. We are not sure what was going on with the heat. So we adjusted the thermostats and we opened as many windows as we could to cool the place down and the unfortunate thing about having all the windows open is that it is quite loud. Riverside Drive is a pretty busy street but we knew this going in! If you are looking for a place that gives you nice serene mountain views, this is not the place. It looks directly into a parking lot. If you can ignore the parking lot and the vehicle/pedestrian traffic you would have a pretty nice view of mountains and the river! This is a great place if you are in town with a busy agenda and not looking for a quiet weekend.

Overall it was a nice place! I will definetly come back with a group of my friends and not when I'm looking for a quiet cozy weekend trip! Hope this helps!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
new orleans
Reviewed 11 January 2011

My extended family and I stayed at the Lofts of Estes over the Christmas holiday. We stayed in two units (#10 - two bedroom - 2 bath & #5 - one bedroom - 1 1/2 bath). Having booked the condos online without seeing them in person, we were thrilled when we arrived. The video tours of each unit online were highly accurate but actually don't do justice to how great the units really are.

The condos were spotlessly clean and very well equipped. Fully equipped kitchens...including pots, pans, measuring cups, cutting board, strainer, flatware, ETC...even BLENDERS. Each had a den equipped with DVR player and a fireplace (electric only...real wood would have been nice but this was only a minor drawback.) There were plenty of linens, extra blankets, and supplies (rolls of toilet paper, papertowels, dishwashing liquid, etc). The coffee makers were nice and there was a basket in each kitchen providing the usual basics: sugar, creamer, hot chocolate mix, apple cider mix and those little Folgers instant coffee "bags." You might want to bring salt and pepper (they had s&p shakers but no s&p in them) and actual coffee instead of instant. Or, just wait until you arrive and assess what you need. The Safeway is 2 minutes away.

As for bathroom amenities, each bathroom was stocked with the basics...little shampoo, conditioner, soap, lotion. Nothing fancy but still a bit of a surprise for a condo instead of a hotel.

#10 has two bedrooms. The downstairs bedroom has a king sized bed and a full bathroom with a regular sized jacuzzi tub. The upstairs bedroom is in the "loft" area (ie: no door and it has two 3x4 "windows" that overlook the downstairs den. It also has a full bath with shower and a 2 person jacuzzi tub in the bedroom.

#5 has one huge loft bedroom with a king sized bed, 2 person jacuzzi in the room and a full bath (with standup shower...a little on the small side.) It also has a really cool skylight that lets you look right up the side of the rocky cliff that towers along the backside of the Lofts complex.

The beds were comfortable and even my hard-to-please husband slept soundly...neither complaining about the bed or the pillows...which says a lot.

Each condo has a sofa sleeper and also comes with a full sized auto-inflating aerobed. We actually had so much room in the downstairs area of #5 that my cousin adopted the open area under the stairs as her "bedroom" and left the aerobed set up under there the whole time. It wasn't in the way at all. We never bothered to use the sofa bed in either unit.

#10 has a family-sized dining room table. #5 has a little round 4 top. Although the den area of #5 is much larger than the den in #10, we used #10 for our family Christmas gathering since the dining room table seated more people.

As for the furnishings, they are rustic but light wood, bright and clean. Plenty of dresser and even closet space. Everything except for one minor frayed area of the downstairs carpet in Unit #5 seemed new.

Let's see...what else?

The hot tub is on the patio area just outside #10...as is a full-sized glass topped patio table with chairs. (I think there is also a bbq grill on that level.) It worked great when we got there and was immediately inviting. All we had to do was take the cover off.

There are two gas bbq grills on the deck outside #5. We didn't use them but I could totally see them coming in handy during a spring or summertime visit.

The entrance to #5 is on the second floor. You walk up a wide decked set of steps to get to it. It is above street level and has a large deck area in front of it. The deck has an overlook that looks down to the first floor. #10 is on the first floor...which, as the other post noted, you walk DOWN to get to. But, we really didn't feel as though we were in a basement or anything...Plus, the upstairs bedroom is a "loft" (ie: overlooks the downstairs living area). So, I'm good with this property referring to itself as the "Lofts of Estes."

Another neat feature: the windows are covered with pleated shades that open from both the top and the bottom. They are especially neat because they allow you to have privacy but leave the top area open so you can see the snowcapped mountain tops.

As for location, WOW...literally within walking distance of all of the cute little shops and restaurants along the Elkhorn Avenue in downtown Estes. AND, within 2 minutes of the Safeway, a liquor store, a movie theatre and anything else you would need.

As far as noise is concerned, we didn't hear any. I'm not sure if it would be different during the summer when more guests are there. The street and intersection in front of the Lofts had intermittent traffic but it didn't create a noise problem. As far as noise from neighboring units, part of Unit #10 has another unit above it. My uncle said that on the last day of our visit, he could hear the footsteps of people in the unit above him. I didn't hear anything but I guess that is something to consider. No problem in Unit 5 since there are no units above any part of it.

We drove to the Rocky Mountain National Park to snowshoe one day and it seemed really close. We may have been talking too much for me to pay attention to exact distance, but it literally seemed like a 15 minute drive.

I am super excited to make a return visit and will definitely stay at the Lofts of Estes again. It was ideal.

Oh, and while I'm on the subject, I had read somewhere that the Safeway in Estes wasn't very good. Again, I was pleasantly surprised. No, it is not a Central Market or a Whole Foods or other "specialty upscale" grocery store..but it is a really nice, modern grocery store and had everything we could possibly have needed. From the previous review, I expected it to be terrible. Far from it. I was concerned after reading the other post and considered stopping for groceries in Denver on my way from the airport. I'm so glad I didn't. It would have been a total waste of time. I could easily get everything I needed and more from the Estes Park Safeway.

As I prepare to post this review, I'm a little bit reluctant. If I post it, am I going to make it impossible for me to ever book these units for Christmas again? Maybe I should keep this a secret?????? lol

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family