“Viva Turtles! ”

Turtles Taco Shop
Ranked #25 of 49 Restaurants in Putnam
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Reviewed 12 April 2015 via mobile

I have traveled throughout Mexico and Turtles is the closest thing I can get to the real thing. I have friends from Mexico and the absolutely love Turtles as well. It is not your standard Mexican American sit down. The service is relatively quick if the restaurant is not busy. I usually order the California burrito or the mini tacos for the most bang for your buck. The red and green sauces are a must as well. I agree with one user that turtles has to fix its' soda machine, but that said I love this place.

1  Thank Abraham G

Reviewed 23 March 2015

Not exactly certain when it happened, but somewhere along the line this place went seriously down hill. For the first couple of years the food was excellent, the place was spotless and the help friendly. First the place is just gross now, dirty soda machines, dirty floors and walls, dead cactuses (still sitting on the counter, really how do you kill a cactus?) I went last Sunday afternoon and placed a to-go order with a seriously obnoxious arrogant guy. It was not my first time placing and order with him and he has never shown a tad bit of personality (on a scale of 1-10 he's about a -5.) Anyway, I ordered a loaded fry with steak and asked for the fries crispy and also ordered an O & P quesadilla. I ask for 3 hot and 3 mild sauce to go with it. I specifically say well done fries because the last time I ordered them (well done that time too) they were complete mush and not even cooked through. I'm told 10 minutes, so I sit and wait. I am the only one in the restaurant at this point. They take a large phone order and tell the guy 20 minutes. Suddenly the guy comes in for the large order and it was ready. I went around the corner and ask about my food. I'm told we looked for you but didn't see you...Huh? I'm sitting in here by myself! So, they give me my bag and I ask "is it even still hot?" So they open the bag (which contained NO hot sauces as ordered) and this guys holds his hand over the food and says yes, it's still hot. So I take a French fry out which is complete mush and barely cooked through and I said I wanted them well done. So, they tell me they can put them in the oven for a bit, but then said they would just re-make them. I said OK, but can you please cook the fries well this time. He says "no problem". I return to a table and wait...again. This time I hear no freezer open for fries, no deep frying sounds which I heard the first time they cooked them...nothing! Within a few minutes they tell me it's all set and are stuffing my food into the bag. I asked to see it and I find it is the exact same food they were trying to give me the first time.... Really???? The put the whole thing in the oven sour cream/guacamole included. Now I have mushy fries with warm sour cream and guacamole. Also, still not hot sauce in bag. I again ask for hot sauce again, and then told him I didn't want the fries like that. This guy starts getting really obnoxious saying I didn't understand the process and they could not keep the fries crispy because of the toppings etc. I said I've gotten them for years, crispy with no problems! I asked for my $ back because I didn't want them. He just tossed the money on the counter which I picked up. I then asked for the sauce which was still not in the bag. He then says listen Lady, were just trying to get your order right.... everybody loves our food, blah blah blah....Lady????
I was so very aggravated at this point it took everything I had just to walk out without telling him off. Nuff said, I will never set foot in there again, which is a shame it used to be very good, and I will miss what it used to be. People don't waste your time.

3  Thank Jillybeancupake
Reviewed 3 November 2014

Smelled good. Small menu but things I like and that taste good. Staff is willing to accommodate requests.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I've eaten at Turtles several times over the last year and have had great food every time. I get the sense this isn't a stop and grab place like a food truck. It looks like the stuff is made to order. I really like that part. The shredded beef and the simmered brisket are seasoned well and don't over power the meat.The fish taco has a great marinade and is served fresh grilled, and not from a basket of pieces sitting under a hot light. I haven't tried the burritos yet because I started by worj=king through the taco menu. Since I'll definitely be going back there, I'll update this review once I get to them. Turtles is a five minute diversion off of I395 and worth the effort if you want something outside the fast food/chain restaurant box.
You can also call in your order and save any waiting time.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We wanted to like this place... we really did. We love all mexican quisine, tex mex, mexicali (the food style, not the restaurant chain), etc. We visited Turtles a total of three times, each time a disappointing experience.

Visit #1: August 2010 - about a month after opening.
Staff is friendly and focused on good food and service. The place is comfortable, lots of smiles, seating room packed, and people are loving it. Nachos were good, however I was grossed out with the chicken burrito. The chicken was minced with each bite having a chunk of gristle in it. Hubby's beef burrito was the same - pulverized ground beef with too many gristle bits. We didn't finish our burritos that day.

Visit #2: Summer of 2012
We came back because our friends LOVE this place and visit frequently. For sake of comparison, we ordered the same thing... and experienced the same result. So much gristle.

Visit #3: December 2013
Back again by our friends request. The hours of this establishment seem to be different depending on what platform you use to get info (google, facebook, or hours on the door). We were under the assumption that the business closed at 9pm this day. We arrived at 7:30pm, placed our order, and as soon as we sat down to eat, a staff member began cleaning the dining room. She appeared aggravated, sighing loudly, making lots of noise moving chairs and condiments. I asked if we made a mistake with the hours and if we needed to leave, but she said no we were all set. As soon as we left, she flipped the closed sign. It was 8:10pm but the hours on the door said the place closed at 9pm. Feeling really awkward, combined with a watery Baja fish burrito and a gristle steak burrito, we left and will not return. When I checked the hours on Facebook that evening, it indicated that their hours of operation was indeed 8pm that eve. Apparently the hours change for the winter, but are not reflected on the door. We would have taken our order to go had we known.

Our advice is, try it - you might like it, but then again you might get gristle. Some LOVE this place, but apparently it is not for us.

1  Thank 5dianet