“It's good, but not great”
Review of Cafe Istanbul

Cafe Istanbul
Ranked #464 of 1,962 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Reviewed 8 September 2013

The shop here is outstanding -- you'll find every type of middle eastern product / spice / canned good available. I'll return again and again to purchase those groceries.

The restaurant was good (I like Turkish / Middle Eastern Food), but wasn't exceptional. There were a few booths off to the side of the grocery, with menus. The service was fine, but lacking in personality (I know that sounds weird, but it ind of took the fun out of the lunch). The baklava is shipped in from Detroit, and I had a feeling the the rest of the food wasn't prepared fresh locally either. It is a good change of pace to have middle eastern food; healthier, and it was good -- just not great.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

My daughter got a craving for Mediterranean food and knowing we were going to Albuquerque, decided to try and find a place on the web. Lo and behold, she found this place and I am here to tell you, it was really quite amazingly good. The special was more than tasty and the service excellent and all nestled inside a mid-eastern grocery store. Do try this place and don't be put off by appearances, it will really satisfy your Greek cravings.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

Middle-Eastern groceries and a dinner! Everything is made in the best traditions of the middle-east...!

2  Thank Harry H
Reviewed 23 March 2013

I had the beef kebab sandwich with Turkish Coffee for lunch. My wife had dolmas, stuffed green peppers, baklava and tea. The food was great. We got there at 11:20 am and parked right in front. By 12 noon the place was packed. The cafe Istanbul also has a really nice middle eastern grocery store attached and I spent more there than I did on lunch (which didn't cost me my first born child). However, I did suffer one disappointment, I specifically went there to practice my Turkish. There wasn't a Turk in the house. Basically, they were Palestinian and the spoke a little Turkish, but, mostly Arabic. This was sort of OK since I'm also learning a little Arabic on the side, but, mostly Turkish. Anyway, it was clean, friendly, full of loyal patrons, easy to find - it's got a bright yellow front - and, WONDERFUL FOOD.

Reviewed 3 March 2013

I heard about this place from a friend of mine who is of the international persuasion. She told me that this was a very good international Arabian/Mediterranean experience.

The place where you are seated to eat is actually quite small; just 2 rows of tables on the side of an international grocery store which specializes in lots of exotic spices and teas. The service was prompt and we were delighted with our gyro special and felafel platters. The gyro special was complete with some hummus, side salad, pita bread, and baklava for dessert. Everything was very good but the baklava had an especially delicious chocolaty clove filled deliciousness to it. The felafel was quite good having an ample amount of spices. It was served with rice, salad, pita bread, and some hummus.

The value was exceptional and I was quite impressed not only with the food but with the Arabic clientele. This is about as close to the Middle East as you will probably get in Albuquerque.