“Little Gem off Central Ave Downtown!!!”

JC's New York Pizza Department
Ranked #268 of 1,966 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Price range: US$ 3 - US$ 22
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery
Description: New York Pizza Department is a family friendly, community based pizzeria with an urban atmosphere. NYPD specializes in thin crust pizza made with homemade sauce and dough, high quality cheese and toppings.
Reviewed 22 September 2015

So my husband and father were coming back from losing our $$ from Isleta Casino and were looking for something to eat late at night. 10 pm and we find this little place off Central Avenue. There is a parking lot across the street and I see neon signs "Pizza and Beer" so we figure why not!! What a wonderful place this is. We ordered pizza and split a salad and my father had the spaghetti and meatballs....we struck gold here folks!!! Awesome pizza.....fresh salad, and super service. I tasted my dad's meatballs and they were delish. His plate was a generous serving with some garlic bread. Everyone was so friendly and treated us like rock stars....seriously we needed it after losing our tails gambling earlier. But the pizza was super awesome and the prices were great. Cannot beat this place and when we come back to Albuquerque we will come again....thanks!!!

Reviewed 20 September 2015

My wife and I ate here when we could not find anything else in the area. The salad and calzone we bought were very good. This restaurant may do as much or more take out business as eat in business, so it is very casual. The waiter was very friendly and helpful to us in making our selections. The portions are very generous and not expensive.

Reviewed 7 September 2015

For the price, we give this place 5 stars. Pizzas made of all fresh ingredients. Very good salad. Pizzas are huge so consider ordering by the slice if just two of you.

Reviewed 2 September 2015

Excited to find New York style pizza in downtown Albuquerque. Can get pizza by the slice as well as alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.

Date of visit: August 2015
Reviewed 30 August 2015

We'd originally intended to re-visit another local eatery which turned out to be shut at the time, but the Manager recommended that we visit this place instead so we gave it a try. His recommendation was well founded. in fact my only gripe might be that walking down the street heading east and looking for it, their neon sign isn't actually visible and we walked right past it --- but the delicious smell of baking pizza sure gives it away. Turn around after a block and you can see their red neon sign.

There's nothing too fancy about it, but come on, what do you want in a pizza joint? Chippendale chairs and waiters in livery? The big TV was, at least, on permanent "MUTE" which made watching some sort of loopy martial arts contest quite bearable. We sat in a booth and were promptly waited on by a lively young guy, who after some conversation we discovered was the Manager, an enthusiastic former employee who found that he really loves making pizza from scratch and might well be doing it for the rest of his life, at least if his fiancée agrees. I wish them both good fortune!

As there was only the two of us and an 18-inch pie is simply too much for two, we opted for the 14-inch "Sicilian" and a few pints of draught beer, plus a ("Small") House Salad that itself was almost enough to feed us both. The pizza was superb, with an excellent crust, and also innovatively cross-sliced into little squares that made it quite easy to eat with a fork and thus spares one's fingers (and clothes) from tomato sauce souvenirs.

Since it was hot and nasty outside, we took our sweet time with the meal and were treated to a couple of friendly visits from the manager who at one point even insisted on refilling my brew for nothing, which I thought was dashed civil of him.

It was a little slow when we arrived but the place was soon humming with trade, with plenty of folks coming in for take-out orders as well. This place seems to have a solid local reputation, and I have to say I'm not surprised.

The bathrooms are exciting contemporary art venues, too --- the ladies' room in particular. Recommended for a look-see, at least if your wife can scout it out first!

Date of visit: August 2015