“great birding along Boca Chica Beach.”

Ranked #5 of 30 things to do in Brownsville
More attraction details
Owner description: State park comprised of more than 1,055 acres offering a variety of outdoor recreation on its land and adjacent beaches of Del Mar and Boca Chica, including swimming, birding, camping, fishing and surfing.
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Its the end of the road near where the Rio Grande enters the Gulf. Lots of shore birds and a great beach to walk.

5  Thank steamboaters
in 8 reviews
in 13 reviews
in 9 reviews

Reviewed 25 December 2008

This would be a beautiful place except for all the trash. Bring shoes because there is lots of broken glass. Since there are cars and alcohol allowed, be careful especially if you are walking on the beach as there is ocean mist that makes visibility difficult at times for drivers even if they have not been drinking.

4  Thank tricol
Reviewed 16 August 2008

I was born and raised in Brownsville. We grew up going to Boca Chica Beach every wknd in the summer and sometimes even during the week. With daylight savings time, you could enjoy the beach till 8PM. Never went to South Padre because we could not afford it. There used to be a fee for crossing the causeway. Sometimes we went to the mouth of the Rio Grande to do some fishing. That beach was gorgeous! The breeze wonderful and not to mention the good surf fishing! My best memories are when several famlies would meet and spend Sundays at the beach. Kids played in the sand and water, grownups fixed food and had their cold ones. What good times! When I got married my husband and I along with our families continued that tradition. We moved away from our hometown when both my husband and I were 28 yrs old. We still go back every few yrs to spend time at the beach. Besides our families, the beach is the one thing we always miss and remember. Some of the best memories of growing up was enjoying Boca Chica Beach..

15  Thank CatherinePhxAZ
Reviewed 7 March 2007

Boca Chica is great! Especially during the spring or summer.
There's lots of birds, here's a list of the ones I saw when I went:

Roseate Spoonbill
Greater Gull
Franklin's Gull
Other small birds
And so much more....

Here are the bad things:

1. Litter bugs me, there is a big heap of trash in the beach.
Some people should clean it up. At the same time, people
may recycle the items. There was an abandoned fishing pole
stand, boards and a shovel on the beach which my dad and I
used. The stand for fishing, and the shovel and the boards
just in case we got in quicksand.

2. There's jellyfish all over the beach. Not that it bothers me, but
someone could get stung by touching the tentacles by
mistake and could get hurt, and they were Portugese
Man o' War. I noticed that because I saw one and thought it
was a shell or something, but I stepped on it (I was wearing
shoes) and noticed it was like a balloon. I then realized it was
a jellyfish because I kicked it and the tentacles showed.

3. There was a dead SEA TURTLE lying on the sand when
I went there. My freind says it was there since last summer.
It was probably rolled over by a car, its shell was cracked and
its intestines were out, it was about a meter long and its neck
was about a foot in circumference.

I'm an ornithologist, or should I say birder that
enjoys wathing and identifying birds in South Texas and maybe the world in the future.

7  Thank general_gigagilbert