“Wonderful Find”
Review of Martine

Martine
Reserve with OpenTable
Martine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #106 of 1,575 Restaurants in Salt Lake City
Price range: US$ 15 - US$ 40
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main Street
Transit: The Trax train will drop you off a half a block from our restaurant. It is free within some of the downtown area along with the bus service. This is very convenient if you need to take it to an event in the area.
Description: Located in one of Salt Lake’s most historic buildings, with James Beard Foundation "Best Chef Great Lakes" nominee Chef Eric Heath at the helm , Martine offers a unique environment to enjoy chef driven, seasonal, handcrafted cuisine. We use humanely raised proteins such as Mary's Chicken & Niman Ranch. Join us for a casual lunch or dinner or for a romantic evening. We look for ward to serving you. We validate City Creek Parking.
Reviewed 9 July 2018

Recommend by the staff at our hotel. Martine such a nice surprise from the moment we walked in the door. The hostess and our server were welcoming and found us the prefect table to have a quiet dinner. We ordered what our server suggest. Delicious! The heirloom tomato salad definitely stands out. It was a very generous plate of perfectly ripe red and yellow tomatoes on sourdough toast.

Date of visit: July 2018
Jennifer C, Manager at Martine, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2018

Thank you so much for dining with us and for leaving such a kind review! We’re so glad you enjoyed everything!

Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

We saw the building from across the street and decided we wanted to explore it further. We had no idea what type of dining experience we would be walking into. Our adult sons and 7 year old were with us and I would say we were a tad underdressed for this establishment. BUT nobody blinked an eye or made us feel out of place.

After learning some history regarding the building we placed our orders. I will say the setting reminds me of a wonderful place in Chicago.

Food arrived in a timely fashion and each dish was expertly presented. My small plate pork belly was delicious and a perfect portion. Everyone else enjoyed their dishes as well. I will say that I don’t think it was an appropriate place for a 7 year old.

Our server Carlos was wonderful and the young lady with purple highlights (forgive me for not remembering her name) was so nice to our grandson.

The prices are very reasonable for the quality.

We plan to return soon!

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 27 May 2018

We lucked into Martine's relatively early on a Wednesday night and were greeted by Lynzie, who then became our server extraordinaire. She was personable, attentive and very knowledgeable about the meal we were ordering. Her suggestions were spot on, and every morsel was delicious. I asked if the chef would reveal the ingredients in the brussel sprout salad; she went to check and came back with a request for my email. I didnt actually expect to receive one, but to my shock it was sent within the hour, including detailed instructions. Thank you Chef Ed Heath! If we lived in SLC, we would be frequent fliers at Martine's Cafe. The pork belly starter, the salmon risotto, and the gnocchi were fabulous...and then there is the grilled gingerbread. All in all a terrific experience! Go if you can!

Date of visit: May 2018
Jennifer C, Manager at Martine, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2018

Bonnie, I'm so glad you enjoyed your evening at Martine! Thank you so much for dining with us and for taking the time to leave such a kind review! I'll definitely let Lynzie know you said such nice things about here. Hopefully we see you again, next time you're through SLC!

Reviewed 6 January 2018 via mobile

What a wonderful little place. Very good atmosphere - quiet enough for a business dinner but could also be a great place for friends or intimate enough for a couple.

Portions were nicely sized - not too big or too small. The special of the night was an elk chop with savory bread pudding. Because I’d never eaten elk before, I opted for that and was not disappointed. Tender, with just enough of a gamey flavor to know it wasn’t beef. Paired it with a nice glass of Malbec and finished completely sated.

I’m not from SLC but will definitely return to this restaurant next time I’m in town.

Prices were good (definitely higher end, but not exorbitant).

Waitstaff was attentive but not overbearing, and quite friendly and pleasant.

Date of visit: January 2018
Jennifer C, General Manager at Martine, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2018

We're so glad you enjoyed your evening! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a nice review! We loved the Elk too, and are so glad you were happy with it!

Please come see us again soon! Thanks so much for dining at Martine!

Reviewed 4 October 2017

Three weeks in to a three month road trip around the USA, this has been an oasis of delicious, imaginative cooking and the best meal we've had by far, so far.

The sweet and sour pork belly starter was the best pork belly I've ever had. Perfectly charred on the outside for a delectable crunch and melt in the mouth meat underneath made it a delightful dish. The accompanying watermelon and mint was a lovely touch.

Mains of duck breast with quinoa pilaf and pork loin wrapped in prosciutto were delicious and perfectly cooked.

Portions were expertly judged - no boxes to take away here - so much so that for the first time in our trip we could actually order a dessert because we weren't feeling bloated by all the carb-heavy oversized portions so prevalent elsewhere. The desserts were superb: grilled gingerbread cake with salted caramel and ginger ice cream; lemon and rosemary olive oil cake with berry cream. Light as a feather cake in both desserts and delicious touches throughout which provided perfectly-balanced dishes.

The cocktails were great too - the Slow Burn is highly recommended - a lemony Bourbon-based drink with great balance.

Service was also excellent - our waiter, David, was lovely - attentive and friendly and gave us some good tips on the next part of our road trip.

If we lived in SLC then this would definitely be a place we'd come to time and time again.

Date of visit: October 2017