“Excellent city pub”

Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 28 July 2017

The Beerhive pub is in the heart of Salt Lake City and is a great place to enjoy a beer or two. We visited several time during our stay in the city. There was plenty of atmosphere and staff were very friendly.
We sat at the bar where there is a helpful cool strip to help keep your drinks cold during the hot summer heat. The food was fine too, enjoyed a delicious pizza which had two different toppings.

1  Thank Owlincallington

Reviewed 23 July 2017

Seen better selections, it is good. Food was ok, cooked next door. Tried the fish and chips. Like fish fingers, and expensive.
OK for meeting up with people.

1  Thank lgpanther
Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

Good stop for craft beer. Huge bottle list both local and national/international. Licensed as a bar so no need to buy food.

1  Thank Suie0515
Reviewed 4 July 2017

During the 3 days we spent in Salt Lake City, we visited the Beerhive twice. First for drinks, second time for drinks and food. It has the best selection of beers anywhere I know outside of a beer festival, and the ice bar is awesome too. The staff are really friendly and knowledgeable and the general vibe of the place (like the city itself) is so chilled out. If there is one thing I could take with me back home from SLC it would be this place! The food was also very good and downstairs they have 2 pool tables, plus plenty of TVs (volume down - good!) to keep up with sports.

Reviewed 1 July 2017

The first thing that you think of about Salt Lake City is that it's the spiritual mecca of a group of people that Trey and Matt like to skewer. Well, there is that, but it also has a quirky vibe - even as the state capital and the home of the LDS church, it has glimpses of places like Austin, Asheville, and the like. A bit of the best of both worlds, and that also goes for their beer. They have a LOT of good breweries making exceptional brews.

On the same block where I'm participating in a month-long conference, downtown, is the Beerhive - a take on Utah's other name, the Beehive State. It's laid out like a typical bar and casual dining place - big bar with a LOT behind it, booths, and tall tables in front. There is also outdoor seating, right on the sidewalk behind a fence (look at the main pic).

I was originally there for a beer, so I sat down at the bar. The selection is quite expansive, with at least ten on tap, and maybe 60 on the menu (bottles and cans). They know how to serve, with the proper glassware for your respective choice. And an added plus is an "ice rail" - a frosted strip of either steel or marble frozen underneath, so you could leave your bottle/glass on it to keep it cold.

I ordered an Accelerator IPA from 2-Row Brewing (I always try to drink local), and decided I'd look at the menu. So I moved to a tall table in the front - the place wasn't crowded and I could have stayed at the bar. The menu is typical casual dining fare - sandwiches, some salads, burgers, and pizza. I hadn't had a good burger, so I settle on the BeerHive Burger - beef, muenster cheese, carmelized onions, and pastrami. Yeah, that's right - PASTRAMI.

It took a while to get the food - not a lot, but I was able to finish my IPA, and get a Desert Edge Latter Day Stout (a milk stout) to go with the burger. The burger arrived on a plate accompanied with fresh French fries. Everything was quite tasty - the fries had a nice crunchy snap, and the burger was very good. The pastrami really adds to the beef and onions. And the muenster ties it all together.

Oh, and the beer? Very nice - excellent on a hot day, and the milk stout was a great complement to the meal.

It's not fancy, but it's very good. I would certainly recommend the BeerHive Café.

(a sidenote - I find it interesting that in Utah, when an establishment serves both food and alcohol, it has to declare what it is. So there's a sign behind the bar that says, "This establishment is designated as a BAR." I found that funny.)

1  Thank FroggyHawk