“As good as it gets” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #28 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“As good as it gets”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

I was in town for a week-long conference at the Convention Center next door, and from the time I walked in the front door until the time I left for the airport a few days later, this friendly, attractive, beautifully appointed hotel did not disappoint. The lobby, corridors, and rooms are spacious and well lit. My room on the 11th floor had a wall-to-wall windows facing the City and a couple of ranges -- beautiful! -- and for someone not that well acquainted with SLC a great help in getting one's bearings. The room furnishings, including those of the bath, were comfortable and meticulously clean. The room service was prompt and thorough. A in-house coffee shop / convenience store is just off the lobby, and the restaurant provided some of the best food for the dollar that I have had in any hotel during my past ten years of traveling (and I travel a lot). Throughout the hotel, every employee I met was genuinely friendly and eager to help. Check-in and check-out were efficient and seemingly effortless. No doubt about it: This is where I'll be staying the next time I'm in SLC.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Joel T, Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Thank you very much for your review! We are proud of the hotel and the service we provide. Your compliments are appreciated. We look forward to your next visit.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Corvallis, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

Very good experience here. Stayed from 2/18-22/2012, Sunday-Thursday. 12th floor facing South overlooking roof of convention center. Arrived for a conference for the week. Flew in, caught a shuttle (not provided by hotel) to the hotel. Was quickly checked in.

I was excited to stay here because of the recently finished renovations I read about in previous reviews.

Okay, first let me say the view was picturesque looking through the window out at the mountain range covered in snow. Don't get me wrong if you are up at the window you look down at the roof of the salt palace. Speaking of...proximity to convention center? Right next to it. Back entrance the convention center right next to hotel. It was winter and I didn't need a coat. Just a quick 2 minute walk (walk) to the entrance from the front entrance of the hotel.

I'm a goldpointsplus member and got complimentary breakfast coupons for each day. I'm a big breakfast fan and the Cooper Canyon restaurant breakfast buffet did the Radisson proud. Made to order omelets, sausage, bacon, eggs, toast, bagels, oatmeal, fresh cut fruit medley, cereal, pancakes. I think I gained 5 pounds as part of my stay in spite of running on their treadmill and swimming in the pool. They even have a hot tub (not so hot) and sauna (dry hot). Usual row of tv sets, towel service, etc in the gym(s). Good sized gym too with separate rooms for weights and another room for running and another for the pool, tub and sauna. I liked it. I suggest updating the childrens' art on the wall in the pool room. I think it was dated in 2007.

Staff were friendly, professional, and courteous.

The Copper Canyon bar was...eh, okay. Watched the Utah Jazz lose on the tube (game was just next door). Was expecting a crowd in the bar, but was disappointed. It was dead, no night life (it was Monday night though)! Had a few beers and what they called Nachos. Awful and I'm not picky. Someone needs to school the cooks on some Mexican cooking or even American Mexican cooking. No salsa, hot sauce? Chips were freaky colors and tasted like cardboard covered in overbaked cheese. I still tried to finish them after a second beer, ugh. Come on! Stayed away from the bar the rest of my visit. At least I enjoyed some amazing "Tachos" at the Bourbon House 4-5 blocks away, spent a couple of nights enjoying food, whiskeys and colleagues. Hotel suggestion: Offer food options after 10pm or at least delivery service menus from an establishment nearby. I was told by the room service staff that I was pretty much out of food options after 10pm on a Sunday night. I did see a Dominoes pizza box in the hallway later in the week.

Room was spacious modern, big flat screen, strange modern art, comfortable desk chair, odd lounge chair. Standard closet and safe. Bathroom upscale. Liked the fact I wasn't getting charged for drinking two water bottles a day, complimentary. I like. Coffee maker with coffee and tea. I like. King Bed was not the programmable beds, but was the new comfortable bed. I believe I had the standard executive king room. Thumbs up from me. Also liked the bedside lights one side regular light the other side flexible reading light.

What I especially liked was truly free and accessible WiFi. (This is where I would repeat this several times). I conducted a lot of work in the evenings during the conference from my room. Now if I can connect my laptop to the tv screen that would be ideal. I normally conduct work on two screens in my office and home office.

Drawbacks:
Bar Nachos, Room service only till 10? Come on! My first night I arrived at 9:45 pm in my room and couldn't get a bite in the vicinity. I ordered mashed potatoes and a caesar salad. Both were great.

If I ever go back to SLC, I'll be staying here for work, personal and with my family (kids too). in hindsight, I wish I had brought my family with me. They would have a great time. Great location to everything and the public train system.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are facing the roof of the convention center. North facing rooms will face t...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to submit such a thorough review! We are very pleased to read that you had such a great experience with the service, our restaurant and the newly renovated room. It's also wonderful to know that you were able to appreciate the convenience of our location and complimentary wireless internet. I apologize for your disappointment with our nachos. We will look into this to see what might have happened. We would be more than happy to serve you and your family on your next stay!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

Just returned from a conference in Salt Lake City. Great Hotel location and service. A stone throw away from the back entrance to the convention center.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We appreciate your compliments and hope to see you again in the near future.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

I was put up here by an airline which overbooked my flight. Everything was fine. I particularly liked the view from my south-facing twelfth-floor room: that made my visit special. There is a good coffee bar in the lobby (with out-of-town newspapers and sundries) and a nice restaurant/bar with friendly informal service. The new lobby is a little austere for my taste, and it was hard to find the coffee bar and the restaurant because the signs were so discreet -- but I persevered, and they were worth the effort.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed the view and found the restaurant and coffee shop to your liking as well. Please come back and visit soon!
Marietta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

I am a flight attendant for a major airline. After a recent layover, I was dismayed to realize (after taking off!) that I had left my wedding ring in my hotel room. I was able to get a message to the hotel, but was unable to communicate for the duration of the flight. Imagine my delight when, upon landing, I received a voicemail from the night security guard telling me that he had my ring and would be happy to express mail it to me! Great location, modern, clean rooms, AND an honest and professional staff...I definitely reccommend this hotel.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Joel T, Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Thank you for your review! We are very happy to know that you were satisfied with our response in your time of distress. We look forward to your next visit!