“A Hidden Gem”

Price range: US$ 7 - US$ 37
Cuisines: International, Healthy, Wine Bar
Good for: View
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: We are a boutique cafe, located at the lovely airfield of Omarama. The wonderful view of the Benmore Ranges, watching the gliding activity, or just enjoying the silence under the shade of our romantic willow tree, is our key features. We away from the main road, and away from mainstream tourism and tourist buses. No tv, no radio, but fine selection of music is played in the backround. We are also very biker friendly, as we are keen biker ourselves - also we offer helping hands/tools, even some basic replacement parts. Hope to see you around.
Reviewed 29 January 2016

I usually refrain from superlatives but in the case of Kahu Cafe, I have to make an exception. This place is great!

The food is fresh, homemade and healthy (with this caveat, some of the desserts are sinful and irresistible).

They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner and I've never had anything that is less than wonderful and delicious.

What style of food do they serve...........a wide variety: French, Italian, American, BBQ, New Zealand lamb, Hungarian, Latin American, etc. The chef is creative and the food is nuanced with just the right spices, seasonings and sauces for the style being served.

The presentation is appealing, the service warm and friendly and the atmosphere relaxed and casual. You'll feel like a guest in the chef's home.

Have a whole meal or just hang out, use the free wifi, sip some freshly brewed coffee or tea and don't miss their fresh baked goods. You can dine indoors or al fresco on the shaded outdoor patio.

Kahu Cafe is tucked away, off the beaten path but is the favorite of town locals. Don't miss this hidden gem, you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 17 January 2016

This is not immediately visible from the street if you're passing by but worth a stop. It's ambiance is very relaxed and bohemian. The food is gorgeous and the coffee real good. Smoothies are also exceptional.

veronika_osko, Owner at Kahu Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2016

Wow, thanks for the positive feedback.
We like to be hidden a bit, so the atmosphere can be a bit more bohemic :D
happy travels,
Kahu

Reviewed 2 January 2016 via mobile

A gem of a place, I had the steak and my partner had the salmon both dishes were cooked to perfection
A must go to place
Staff were superb and friendly

veronika_osko, Tulajdonos at Kahu Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2016

Thanks so much! Hope to see you again!

Reviewed 29 December 2015 via mobile

We were here for dinner on our first night in Omarama, which is a very quiet village. The food was freshly cooked and very delicious and the waiter, who co-owns the restaurant with his girlfriend, was really polite and always apologized for the waiting times.
The cafe is in an idyllic setting right next to the airfield, on which you can see the gliders starting and landing.

1  Thank ATPEN
Reviewed 28 December 2015 via mobile

My partner and I went for breakfast. We shared one item + a couple extra eggs and a juice (the only genuinely "healthy" option there is juice) and ended up paying $38! After waiting well over 45 min we were presented with the saddest little plate of food you've ever spied. The eggs were cold, no flavor, a dry little nub of white bread, and an errant hair infused to top it all off. They did offer us free coffee for waiting, but sadly it tasted like pure milk with maybe a half shot of espresso.

We eat the cold weirdly cooked food because we had paid so much for it, but wished we had not.

As we left, I overheard that the owner was out of town. That info, plus some of the other reviews here lead me to implore him or her to either shut down when out of town or only serve coffee. At least warn customers not to order, and pay full price, for meals when the staff is not able to create them. The reputation of the establishment is on the line with experiences like ours today.

veronika_osko, Owner at Kahu Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2015

Dear Dinosaurs,

I am really sad that you had a bad experience with us.
I remember you and your partner, as I was here.

You have ordered two juices $8 dollar each and a big breakfast ($17.5) with smoked salmon and eggs with extras. It was a terrible rush that day and we are very sorry for the wait. We took over this business not long ago and the staff is also quite new, it takes a while to train them properly which I know is not a comfort for you at all but we try to work on as hard as it is possible to satisfy our customers.

I you were so disappointed, it would have been much more adequate to verbalise your concerns personally, but when I talked to you you seemed happy and satisfied.

Please mail me your bank details to cafe.kahu@gmail.com and we will give you a full refund.

Happy travels around New Zealand and a Happy New Year,