See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 May 2012

What a pretty little motel. I stayed at this motel in the small township of Clyde in Central Otago, in February, for 3 days and nights. Clyde is only 10 kilometres west of the larger town of Alexandra and although, in its day was quite a busy and bustling town, it now is much smaller and quieter with many homes there being owned as holiday homes for people wanting to escape the big cities of Dunedin and Christchurch.

Having not been to Clyde before I found a little jewel among the mountains. The entire area is a photographers dream with so much to see and photograph, with a history heavily steeped in the gold mining era of Central Otago. The people of the area are so friendly and willing to tell you anything about their proud and rich history, with many of the small cottages and buildings from the era, still remaining and so very well looked after. Many of the buildings in and around Clyde are made from 'schist', a well known stone prevalent in this beautiful area, the Clyde Hotel being one.

Clyde itself used to be on the main road to Queenstown but when the Clyde Dam was built, a new road had to be built alongside the newly formed Lake Dunstan, so the new road was built up the hill above, bypassing Clyde itself. However, the Intercity bus still stops in Clyde and the driver is a very nice guy who even dropped me off outside the Clyde Motel.

My hosts at the Clyde Motel were Brian and Doreen and the most helpful people running a motel, I have met in a long time. The motel itself was so clean and well kept and although the furniture was a little dated, that didn't matter because it was so quiet and peaceful there, that I didn't want to spend all my time lazing around anyway. There is a guest laundry to wash, dry and iron clothes and not a spot of dust anywhere. I was seriously impressed, having stayed in motels and hotels in many places over the years.

The gardens are immaculate. One day I noticed Brian on his knees on the lawn, digging out small weeds by hand, but he wasn't there for long. I later walked across the lawn and couldn't see any weeds at all.

When I needed to catch the bus back to Queenstown, Brian very kindly offered to drive me the kilometre along the street to the bus stop.
I will return to Clyde sometime and will definitely stay at the Clyde Motel. I couldn't have had a nicer place to stay in that little township.

Room Tip: Any room in this motel is just perfect. The motel is a small one but so well cared for that every room is a good room to choose.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo