1,901 results
All reviewshigh teaold world charmchateau tongariroruapehu roomnew wingmain restaurantgrand old ladynew zealandsconesnational parkpiano playerpihanga cafeafternoon teadining roomlounge areaplunge poolcelebration package
Reviewed 18 February 2018

I had been so looking forward to the 2 night stay at this hotel. When we arrived the weather was not in our favour and we couldn't see the magnificent scenery, however not a fault of the hotel. We had booked this through Trailfinders a year ago and had asked to be placed on a higher floor and with adjoin rooms. We were put on the 1st floor and at least 2 corridors away from each other. The main lounge area is beautiful and the service moderately good. We had a meal in the bar attached to and belonging to the hotel. Unfortunately I suffered from food poisoning that night. My husband reported this to the front desk in the morning, the response was appalling they did not bother to ask our name, the room number or if I had water or needed anything. I then spent a very miserable day being very ill, no enquiries from the management even though my husband did repeatedly return to the front desk. Eventually one of the waiters (who had served us the evening before) did offer to make me some toast and provide some tea. After much complaining a "Manager" did arrive to speak to me to apologise for the lack of concern. I have to say I was rather surprised with her comment of "its surprising how quickly you can move when you need to be sick". We had to leave the following morning, I had hoped that there would have been someone asking if I was ok but nothing, just the bill and an additional 2.5%for paying by credit card! I would dearly love to visit this area again as it is beautiful but I could not visit an establishment again that has no care or concern for their customers. I would also like to add that our room had not seen a duster for some time.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nicki1953
ChateauHMGT, Front Office Manager at Chateau Tongariro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2018

Dear guest, thank you very much for your recent stay with us. It is regretful that your stay with us was not so pleasant and we do apologise for that. We have shared your feedback with our executive management team who will deal with it accordingly. We appreciate your valuable feedback and look forward to welcome you again.

Reviewed 18 February 2018

This is a terrific place to stay if you are planning to do the Tongariro Crossing. We had a room with ensuite. The room had a fridge and a container of crockery and cutlery to use in the well equipped kitchen. It was very clean. Perfect!

1  Thank Anne B
ChateauHMGT, Front Office Manager at Chateau Tongariro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2018

Dear guest, thank you very much for your recent stay with us. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your valuable feedback and look forward to welcome you again.

Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

It’s been a few a years since we have been, but beautiful and grand and peaceful still.
Amazing location, lovely local walks.
Spotlessly clean, decor lush, food in the Ruapehu Room impeccable as ever.

In summer, it’s an amazing hideaway for a couple of days to unplug from the world and read a book.

Only negative - the wifi is horrible - hard to connect to, slow, and you only get 1GB.

Reviewed 17 February 2018

The public areas of this hotel are impressive and celebrate its construction as a luxury hotel in the 1920s. It is like looking back in time in a good way. A pianist was playing during the evening we were there, which added to the ambience, and the view from the big window is impressive. We had no difficulty accessing Wi-fi in any area of the hotel we visited. We stayed in a spa room which was spacious and well furnished. The spa bath was one of the best we have used. Although there is no air conditioning, there are opening windows with mosquito net curtains, so we had a very comfortable silent nights sleep without the hum of a fan or air conditioner motor. If you want a luxury break with access to lots of walking tracks, this is the place to visit.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a spa room

Reviewed 15 February 2018 via mobile

I generally seek to highlight as many positives as I can in my reviews and focus on the negatives in as constructive way as possible. I fear judging by our experience at the hotel and direct contact with management that any areas suggested for improvement will be ignored, the hotel management I fear feels it has a captive market given the hotel’s unique location and actually doesn’t care about its clientele. Hotel is a classic example of providing glossy pictures of the exterior and rooms hiding away from,the fact the hotel needs serious refurbishment, rusty balconies, decor inside needs redecoration etc. Having said that our room interior was very smart, roomy and well equipped. However, problem one, the room was stifling hot, no a/c, room had tiny windows that opened a fraction, duty manager smiled when reported and we were left to suffer with a limited nights sleep. Room outlook was ‘lovely’, looked onto the roof of another building. Problem two, signage to find your way back to Reception was absent, numerous staircases had to be managed between room and reception. Problem three, wi fi which was absolutely useless, duty manager said it was down to the location and Apple equipment, really useful given Apple dominate the tech market. Problem four, lost the will to live waiting for dinner, the longest and worst service ever experienced, to be fair breakfast ok. I will recommend tour agent this hotel is not used by them any more, the management and fairly surly staff need to realise they just can’t get away with this don’t care attitude, the duty manager we dealt with just didn’t care. Sort yourselves out and provide basic customer needs.

2  Thank menors
ChateauHMGT, Front Office Manager at Chateau Tongariro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2018

Dear guest, thank you very much for your recent stay with us. It is regretful that your stay with us was not so pleasant and we do apologise for that. We have shared your valuable feedback with our executive management who will deal with it accordingly. We appreciate your valuable feedback and look forward to welcome you again.