Banu Hotel
L'Effet Mer(Bourail)(Great Value!)
US$ 104
US$ 107
Priceline
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Rather enjoyed the ambience of this little hotel. The bungalows are situated in a very tidy lawned area and the pool, although not huge, is ample and very clean. The evening meal was delicious and at breakfast they were very tolerant of me (thank you madame) -- bringing jugs of coffee after coffee until my partner awoke. A lot of locals use the bar (where the famous cap collection can be seen, a bit dusty ...) and there is a very busy breakfast trade with few vacationers but may locals and workers who use the hotel as a base. As mentioned, by N.C. standards it's a nice place to stay and you won't be paying a ridiculous price. As for a bungalow and especially ask for one with a NEW airconditioner as most have them but we lucked out.

Room Tip: Ask for a bungalow with a NEW airconditioner.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2012

This was definately an experience. We arrived on a Sunday & booked a double room.The hotel reception was closing so we were told if we go out to push open the back gate to come in.We were given the key to our "room" which was really horrible ( & we are not fussy).There was no staff to complain to as whole hotel shut down.The bed was so uncomfortable that we had to put the mattress on the floor to get any sleep as if you moved a finger it creaked. Although it is a historical hotel, it is definately remained in history. However on a positive point the bungalows did look nicer(which is probably why there was only one other room occupied) so maybe we were just unlucky.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank italyireland
Reviewed 22 August 2011

I have very little to add to the (English) reviews written by other people, except to say that I agree with just about everything they have written. The hotel has a very relaxed atmosphere, but don't be fooled - underneath, it is also very well run but in a very discreet way. The owners seem to know exactly what they are doing to make their guest's stay enjoyable and from the moment we arrived the entire staff made us feel very welcome, which is not always the case in New Caledonia.

We had heard that the hotel restaurant was very good, and this proved to be true. Having travelled extensively in France on many occasions, I feel competent to say that the standard of French Provincial cuisine at Hotel Banu is pretty much as good as you would expect to get anywhere in France.

The bungalows are very comfortable, very large and very peaceful and at a reasonable price. All in all, a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JohnSydney66
Reviewed 2 March 2011

My husband and I were in New Caledonia last December to scout the surf camp site for the 2011 Pacific Games which will be hosted by NC this August/Sept. We found Hotel Banu from the New Caledonia tourism website and contacted the hotel directly by phone and e-mail from Guam. The hotel location is on La Foa's "main street" which's Route 1 –– our long haul bus from Noumea stops at its doorstep. The tourism office is next door as is the local supermarche. The post office is across the street as is a bank (which does foreign currency exchange).
The hotel –– more a country inn –– is a third-generation family-owned and run establishment; the proprietors and their son can be found at the reception most times. The hotel has a charming outdoor terrace for meals and drinks. On the weekends, bikers and other motorists stop at the hotel for a break so the place is a traveller's hub. A scene that's almost reminiscent of highway towns in northern Calif. The restaurant, probably one of the larger and main eating places in La Foa, has provincial French style decor and a fairly extensive menu. The interior decor of the reception and restaurant is probably best appreciated by collectors of things old and eclectic.
The bungalows are comfortable, clean, private and sleeps 3 (all have ensuite bathrooms, split airconditioner, TV, telephone, closet, one queen bed plus a single bed). There are screens to keep out the mosquitoes. The grounds are well kept. There are standard rooms too but I hesitate to recommend these unless you're on a backpacker's budget. Guests staying in the standard rooms share common bathrooms and toilet facilities.
Mrs. Naillet, the proprietor and her staff are helpful, accommodating and friendly. It's the kind of service you won't find in big city hotels.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Avidtraveller96913
Reviewed 18 September 2009

Hotel Banu

The Hotel Banu was a pleasant change for Grand Terre after our experiences further north. A comfortable bed in a spacious, clean and well-appointed bungalow for a reasonable price of XPF6350 . The only minor annoyances were the need to close all the windows at dusk to stop mosquito entry and the lack of sound-proofing between the bathroom and the main room. But those were trivial compared to the overall comfort and quality.

We chose to have dinner at the Asian restaurant across the road – which was excellent – so I cannot comment on the Hotel restaurant.

As a side note, the hotel is quite famous for it's accommodation of American servicemen during WWII and also has a quirky collection of baseball caps hanging from the ceiling in reception, see the photo.

With such a positive report I still had two problems with reception. On arrival the evening manager could find no record of my booking, despite me showing her my copy of their email. It was lucky that they had a vacant bungalow anyway. As a separate matter, when I was first planning the trip I had sent an enquiry asking for tariff and availability details for an earlier date; after receiving the reply we changed our itinerary and spent the first night in Noumea instead. When checking out the lady manager became very aggressive about my failure to cancel that earlier booking – when it was never a booking, just an inquiry. On return home I sent her an email with copies of all the correspondence requesting an apology, but none has been received.

Be very careful in how you word an inquiry. However, that does not change the value or quality of the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple