“Wonderful in every way”
Review of Four Seasons

Four Seasons
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed 18 July 2009

Wekeep coming back to this hotel not only because it is beautiful but because the service is top flight. This is our fifth time at the resort and our room was clean and beautiful and the grounds are still immaculate and the service, in a word, is amazing. Case in point, my fifteen year old son was playing a game of pool in the gameroom and after his game he turned to watch ESPN for about two minutes, pool cue still in hand. He was totally taken back by the fact that when he turned back to the pool table the staff had already reracked it for him! That made quite an impression on him and on us.
Service at the pool and beach are first rate and we have stayed at the Ritz in Kapalua where pool and beach service are lacking in a major way. Not only were we offered cool towels and Evian spritzes, we were constantly having our water glasses replenished, offered fresh baked mini muffins in the morning, ice pops, pineapples, watermelon, tropical jello and rice krispie treats through the day as we lounged poolside. I even had a staff offer to clean my sunglasses. I don't know about everyone but I know that going on vacation for me means to be totally pampered and that is how I feel at the Four Seasons Maui.
Yes, the restaurant prices are very pricey and aside from ordering some drinks and snacks poolside and a dinner at Ferraro's we did not eat at the resort. We left for most meals, most notably breakfast. I would have a complaint that the breakfast prices are just too much. We traveled with a teen girl and boy and the girl doesn't even eat breakfast and my husband and I are fine with something light but our teenage son is an eating machine and just for him to go get breakfast at the restaurant would have been $34 for him and they did not offer a teen menu at Duo though they did have a children's menu for under 12. So if I were to change anything it would be to make the breakfast food a bit more reasonable. Otherwise we drove to Stella Blues in Kihei.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank grazipat
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Four Seasons

Reviewed 17 July 2009

What can you say that hasn’t already been said 1000 times on here? This place is pure perfection. I can’t even think of a single complaint (and I have high standards!).

From the moment you walk in the door, you’re treated like the most important and special guest who has ever walked through the doors. The staff is not just accommodating; they go WELL out of their way to ensure you’re happy.

Every detail is taken care of here. From the spotless and meticulously maintained rooms, to the L’Occitane bath products, to the popsicles and Evian spritzes by the pool, to the excellent restaurants, and the lush and flawless landscaping… this place is what every other resort aspires to be.

Sure it’s not cheap, but for all the service and amenities, I don’t find it to be overpriced in the slightest. You won’t be nickel and dimed here, either, like some neighboring resorts. Free childcare, free snorkel equipment and kayaks, free cabanas, free aerobics and fitness classes… the list goes on.

We were fortunate enough to be staying at the resort when their new serenity pool opened (see attached pics). It is, in a word, AWESOME. Amazing views, swim-up bar, infinity edge pool, and adults-only peace and quiet. What a wonderful addition to the property.

There is a reason we return again and again to this resort. You can’t do better on Maui.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank LarJay
Reviewed 16 July 2009

I stayed here for 6 nights at the end of June/beginning of July with my parents, my husband and 2 children (ages 6 &3) to celebrate my parents' 45th anniversary. We were pampered throughout our stay!

We arrived late in the evening and were greeted by the valet staff with fresh flower leis for the girls and shell/nut leis for the boys. We were led inside by one person to check in while another unloaded our car. At check in, my kids were asked to choose a toy from a basket while we were informed that both our rooms had been upgraded, and would be connecting. Once in our rooms - wow! They were both so spacious, with nice lanais and beautiful bathrooms. As previously reported, our kids' names had been spelled out in sponge letters, bubble bath and bath toys had been laid by the tub and they had their own robes to lounge in! On top of that, they'd left a nice bottle of champagne and anniversary card for my parents, milk and cookies for my kids and some really yummy goodies for my husband and me. The ice buckets had been filled (and would continue to be filled every evening) and plenty of water bottles had been left in the fridges. I loved that there was no pre-stocked minibar, which saved us the hassle of trying to keep the kids out of the goodies! Plush robes for everyone, comfortable slippers if we were so inclined and even a tote bag to use while we were there.

We spent the next day playing in the pool and at the beach in front of the hotel, and were very happy to see that getting a cabana was no problem. Poolside service was great - they even send someone around to clean your sunglasses! The kids loved the little treats they provided - fresh fruit, made from scratch jello, popsicles. I loved that there was also plenty of water brought around and that they had provided organic sunscreen in 3 different SPF factors, just in case you forgot to bring your own.

Unfortunately, my mother had an accident that day - a couple of big waves smashed her into the sand while she was wave-jumping and she suffered some scrapes and bruises along with a very sore neck (where she landed). When we asked for some ice, they not only gave her the ice pack, but they sent someone from security to check on her and ultimately called an ambulance to take her to the ER to make sure she hadn't broken any bones, which she luckily didn't have. Needless to say, spending our first day in Hawaii in ER was not fun, but the security staff at FS were great. They called several times throughout our stay to check on her and ask if there was anything she needed. BTW, the doctors and nurses at Maui Memorial were great!

The next day, Mom rested while the rest of us got up at 3 am to make the trek to Haleakala to watch the sun rise. They had hot drinks and pastries in the lobby! They had blankets for us to take on the trip! And the sunrise was glorious...the kids got a kick out of having to wear hats and mittens in Hawaii, and we got some great pictures. And when we went on a snorkel/cruise, the bell desk had all the towels we'd need and plenty of water bottles for our trip.

All the employees were so friendly and helpful. They greeted us with warm smiles and took the time to talk with my children. They all helped to make this a truly relaxing vacation.

We ate breakfast at the hotel one day, and lunch in Ferraro's - the food was very good. But with so many great restaurants to choose from, we usually ate off-property. We were very impressed with the quality of our meals on Maui. Definitely make a trip to Stella Blues Cafe for breakfast, Koiso for sushi and Sarento's on the Beach for a sunset dinner!

The only objection we had during our stay was when they started fertilizing the plants around the resort - man, that was stinky! However, with the ocean breezes sailing through, it wasn't too unbearable. I guess they've got to do it sometime in order to keep the property looking so lush, and it certainly was better to be a privileged vacationer than the guys laying the stuff down!

The day before we had to leave, they left a book for each child for us to take, with a note to come again. With the experience we'd just had, we will definitely be visiting the FS Maui again!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank globetrottingfool
Reviewed 14 July 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Four Seasons from 7/5 - 7/10 because we had such a positive experience during our first stay in 2004. This stay however was quite different. While we were thrilled to be upgraded to an oceanfront prime one bedroom suite (we had booked an oceanview), the excitement wore off quickly. I noticed tiny fast crawling ants on the floor of the water closet and all over the bathroom sink, and my stepdaughter saw ants crawling all over the lamp next to the sofa. My husband asked for a manager to call us in the morning. No one called, so he asked someone at the front desk to have a manager call. By the next day, no one had called, so he asked yet again for a manager to call. He also emailed one of the managers, who had given us her card when we checked in. (We never did receive a response from her). All the while, the ants were still there, and I had also noticed one in the shower on the ledge and some in the bedroom. Additionally, I saw ants crawling on my husband's toothbrush and toothpaste. The moment I first saw the ants I began packing my things away - what a pain that became. Finally my husband was able to speak to a manager in person. He promised to have housekeeping spray. It didn't seem to have any effect, so he called the manager again. His only offer to us was that I could receive a complimentary massage. Huh? Were we really staying at the Four Seasons??? As we checked out, we were asked about our stay. Even though it was too late, I mentioned about the ants, that the sofa bed was only made up 2 out of 5 nights (for my step-daughter), and that housekeeping never placed washcloths in the bathroom that my stepdaughter was using. There could be no mistake that it was being used for bathing, along with the fact that the presence of a shower demands a washcloth in addition to the bath towel and bath mat. I left quickly, as we had a flight to catch. No sooner had we reached the car, a young man called after us. My husband explained the entire situation and we were offered 15% off per night. I also received an email from yet another manager that we could receive a free night during our next stay. Are you kidding me? Where were these offers while we were still there?What about just getting rid of the ants? What about returning phone calls as soon as possible? My mind was already made up that we would never return, nor would we ever go back to a Four Seasons Resort. We had a much nicer stay our first 3 nights at the Grand Wailea.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
17  Thank BambiM
Reviewed 10 July 2009

Like many other people my wife and I spent the 2nd half of our honeymoon in Maui, and also like many other people we decided to stay at the Four Seasons based on the overwhelming number of glowing reviews found on trip advisor. I found that the reviews found on trip advisor of the Four Seasons were pretty accurate, but like most reviewed places on trip advisor one needs to sort through the dross in order to obtain a complete picture. The good reviews fail to point out obvious flaws, and the bad reviews are a bit too harsh. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

This is a list of the positive things I read on trip advisor that I found to be true:
- The greeting upon arrival is warm & is the right way to begin your stay.
- You can’t pass a single employee on the property without them saying hello to you.
- The rooms & bathrooms are immaculate.
- The food is made with quality products & is well prepared.
- The attentiveness and amenities received poolside is a wonderful touch.
- The spa & the services provided there are top notch.

Overall our stay was amazing, but you’d have the expectation from a 5 diamond resort. Now I must be fair and acknowledge some of the negative things I’ve read and found to be true.
- Although one can find a cabana with ease without waking up at the crack of dawn to reserve one, the prime ones overlooking the ocean always “mysteriously” appeared to be reserved even really early in the morning.
- An ocean view room does not necessarily mean that you will be able to actually see the ocean from your room. Your room may be located very far from the ocean. The room may not face the ocean directly. There may be trees occluding the view. This is for an ocean view not a partial ocean view.

Those were pretty minor things and some people may stay here and never encounter those problems. All in all this place is definitely a resort to benchmark other resorts.

Dr. Endo’s Top 3 Do’s:
1. Make a reservation at Ferraro’s for a sunset dinner and request one of the tables closest to the ocean.
2. Find a way to get a cabana overlooking the ocean. It’s much more peaceful & relaxing than the ones next to the pool.
3. Reserve spa treatments early as the prime hours tend to fill up quickly.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Smooth_Obturator
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
0.6 km away
0.4 km away
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
0.7 km away
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Four Seasons? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK