“Vacation in paradise”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Austin, Texas
“Vacation in paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

The Four Seasons Maui provides the utmost in luxury and care! We love all Four Seasons, but keep returning to this one, mainly due to the staff! They provide the kind of attention, courtesy, and care not available elsewhere! This hotel exceeds expectations in all areas...an exemplary group of people! I can't say enough great things about them!

Room Tip: There are only great rooms here...all rooms have an ocean view!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank jm4fps
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,200)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

I would highly recommend this resort. Originally, we were going to book the Ritz-Carlton, but after reading reviews we found out that the Ritz is located in a rainy part of the island. So glad we listened- that is a well-known fact on the island!

The Four Seasons rooms were comfortable, not the best I've stayed in but clean and comfortable. The staff was amazing, accommodating and friendly. The restaurants were magnificent- very good food. The concierge was super helpful.

I participated in sunrise meditation and oceanside yoga- I highly recommend both. I received an outdoor massage- absolutely perfect. And during whale season you have a prime view of whales off the shore.

Fantastic trip and we can't wait to return!!

Room Tip: The lobster salad sandwich and the lobster and shrimp burger at Ferraro's are amazing! Also, the...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Alycia P
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

Everything about Four Seasons was done to perfection. My husband and I stayed 6 nights in Feb and it was glorious. I knew we had to stay there after watching the Modern Family episode. It all lived up to our high expectations and more.

We went through what-a-hotel and got the free level upgrade, free buffet breakfast ($35 per person + gratuities), and a free $85 lunch at Ferraro's. I would definitely recommend that. We paid for the mountain side (parking lot view) room but got the garden view room as the upgrade. There wasn't much of a view as expected but we didn't spend much time in our room either.

Room: Very spacious and the bathroom was even more so. Bed was very comfortable and there was also a sitting area and office space. I have stayed at some hotels in NYC where the rooms are smaller than the bathroom at Four Seasons. I enjoyed the L'Occitane bath products. We also liked that they also provided an after-sun lotion which is great after a day at the beach.

Check-in: Quick and easy. We were greeted with pineapple, lemonade and a refreshing towel. We got leis upon entry and everyone was so genuinely friendly from the start. There were also small biscuits in the room waiting for us. The little things are truly appreciated.

Grounds: Everything was immaculate. From the lobby to the tennis courts. From the pools to the beach. I don't see one leave out of place. Care is taken to keep this hotel in top notch shape. I normally try to stay at newer hotels but this property proved that an older hotel, when managed and kept properly, can be just as amazing.

Service: They are soooo nice here. Frozen lemonade and pineapples and towels by the pool. Ice water is refilled every time you run a little low. When you leave your food at the buffet, your waiter will cover the food so that the birds do not get to it. Everyone greets you when they see you. We woke up early one morning to go Whale watching and we enjoyed the free coffee and baked goods at the front lobby. Lemonade stand was also appreciated mid day there.

Valet: If they know you are going for a long trip, they provide you with bottles of water in the car. Another small yet nice gesture. When we left, they gave us goodbye jelly beans. Sweet.

Pools: Various levels of sunscreen were provided by the pool which was appreciated. Whether you are at the infinity pool or the fountain pool, you will enjoy yourself. People wake up early to get spots at the infinity adult pool. We were there for 2 days but found the fountain pool just as good. We however did enjoy the swim up bar at the infinity pool. There aren't too many people there so things never got too rowdy.

Beach: It was great that the cabanas were free. Other hotels charge $20 per day. Take advantage! We saw other families with babies got a crib from the hotel staff by the beach right beside their loungers. Perfect for families with small children. Wailea beach is beautiful. the sand is soft and reefs are nearby for snorkeling. We could always find chairs and if not, the staff could easily set one up for you. The view is spectacular and the beach area was easily accessible from the resort.

Food: Duo breakfast was excellent. I loved the change up at the buffet so that you don't get bored. I really enjoyed the crepes and the pina colada waffles. The miso soup and dim sum also catered to the Asian palette. The daily free smoothie shot was amazing. Yum! Pool side, room service and Ferraro food were pretty much the same and expensive as expected. The food was OK but can get boring after a few days. Go out and eat at other locations to make it a little more exciting. We tried Tommy Bahamas (at Shops at Wailea) and had our reservations but it turned out much better than expected. We ate at Spago one night. Once again, very expensive but the food was excellent. We recommend the seafood red curry. It was a great setting with great service. The waiter really took care to give us his food recommendations and made the night enjoyable.

Activities: There were plenty of activities like yoga and snorkeling to keep you busy at the resort. We also liked the activity centre with pool, table tennis and shuffle board when you just want to escape the sun for a little bit. The gym was well equipped and the open air cardio area was just another plus to the hotel.

Shopping: I managed to find a few great deals at the shops at Four Seasons. A dress was 50% off so shopping can be done right on site. The local artists that were there every morning also provided venues for one-of-a-kind gifts and souvenirs.

Lobby Bar: Live music and hula dancing were a great way to move to the evening and watch the sun set and fire lighting ceremony.

Tip: Make booking the free outrigger program the first thing you do when you get to the hotel. The spots fill up quickly. I would even e-mail the hotel in advance to get a spot if possible. There were 3-4 sessions per weekday and each spot only allowed for 4 guests. It was a popular activity. The instructors were amazing and even did double duty as island tour guides telling you stories and history of the island. We got in at the 7:45AM spot and enjoyed the morning whale watching and sightseeing.

One small negative was that we did have to pay for our wifi internet. We also stayed at Grand Wailea and Hana Kai on this trip and both of these locations had free wifi which in my mind should be standard.

Location: The resort is a little far from Lahaina, which is where all the action is at. We had friends in that area and we thought we would see them more but we ended up just meeting them for dinner. We did spend one full day at Lahaina with them also but driving back at night was extremely tiring after a full day's of activities.

At the end, we were sad to leave. Maui was amazing and Four Seasons definitely added to that experience.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Catherine C
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

This is a bit late as the wife and I traveled to Maui in May of 2011, but now that I'm a Tripadvisor member I felt I should say a word on how fantastic the whole experience was. We took a "belated honeymoon" here and, having never stayed in a luxury hotel before, weren't sure what to expect. It exceeded our expectations in every way: my wife's luggage was delayed, and the hotel staff dealt with the airport and had the luggage delivered to our door; we decided to splurge for the intimate couples romantic dinner where you have one dedicated waiter for the evening and the entire menu is custom-made: the chef and the waiter (Benny) were friendly and enthusiastic; the scenery is gorgeous and the beach staff are attentive. We will certainly be returning.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ssyang
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

'The best hotel I have ever stayed at' was my wifes summary of the Four Seasons Maui at Wailea.

This is where managers/owners of all the other aspiring 5* resorts, wherever they are in the world, should visit to discover what it means to provide 'top level customer service'.

Many others on this site have provided details of what to expect, I just wanted to add my voice to the long list of satisfied customers. This was our fist visit to Hawaii/Maui (a wonderful paradise) and our first stay at a four seasons. If they are all this good we will be staying again.

Room Tip: I have no doubt they are all good.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ACKCUk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
0.6 km away
1.3 km away
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK