“Loved the Grand Despite A Few Missteps”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed 24 August 2009

I felt that it was necessary to give back to my fellow travelers by writing this review since I have read and used the advise of trip advisor reviewers in order to plan my trip. I traveled with my husband and two children (1 and 5 years) for a long anticipated summer vacation. I chose the Grand b/c of the beach, pools and adult activities alike. This was my second trip. The first was about 8 years ago for a conference. I fell in love with the hotel back then. This time around I can honestly say that I still love the hotel, grounds, pools , beach and spa -but the food and room / furniture left much to be desired. After a 50 million dollar renovation, I could not explain why there was chipped furniture and peeling paint in our deluxe garden view lagoon wing room. Several handles fell off of our bedside table. New Carpet??? Hard to tell. There was also a slight musty smell in the room that I got used to after the first day. There did not appear to be an air conditioner vent in the bathroom and it felt quite warm in there most days. The room air conditioner was adequate though. The marbled bathroom very nice and spacious.

The food: Overpriced for the quality. Skip lunch at the volcano bar and try the brick oven baked pizza at Bistro Molokini instead. Cafe Kula had a decent lunch menu with great onion rings and a plate lunch though the teriyaki chicken was overcooked. Because we were traveling with small children, I was too tired to go next door to the shops for lunch or dinner. The hubby and I hired a sitter and had dinner at Humu Humu it was ok. I had the lobster bisque and the surf and turf. The steak was right on but my lobster tasted grainy. The service was professional and attentive but inexperienced. We loved dinner however, at Cuatro in Kihei. A must try! We did not have breakfast so I cannot review this area. With the kids, we chose to feed them in the room. We were lucky enough to have a refrigerator and a microwave so this made it easy for us to heat up bottles and serve my son cereal. I even had reheated left overs one morning.

The pool: What we expected and why we chose the hotel. My 5 year old loved the beach and the pool. We rented a casabella (2 shaded,padded lounge chairs and 2 regular sun-exposed loungers) for 150.00 per day for the entire week. This was truly the best investment we made during the entire trip. I can't imagine having to trek down to the pool at 7 am to reserve chairs as most of our fellow pool users did. The pool service was great. Shortly after checking into our casabella for the day we were given a fruit tray with banana bread and iced water which was replaced throughout the day. We were also given popsicles and frozen grapes throughout the day as well. My husband especially love the chilled towels!!! The pool side amenities were a nice touch but they came at a steep price. It is truly a shame to have to pay for shade. The pool is really laking in enough shady places to sit (bummer). The cost for the casabella was a little easier to swallow after my husband and I decided to pay for an elite membership $1500.00 (non-refundable) with 30% off best available rates for the rooms and 20% off food, beverages and spa/salon for future stays. In doing so, we were given a $500.00 resort credit which helped to off set our casabella rental costs. The pools and slides were a blast especially for a pool loving family. I felt like a kid again! For any future trips I will definitely reserve a casabella by the pool ($150) or facing the beach but near the pool ($75.00).

In summary, we loved the pools and grounds. The staff were wonderful and very accommodating. I never once had to wait for our room to be cleaned. The housekeeping staff took very good care of us. I do not blame the hotel for charging the $25.00 resort fee because between bathing, the spa and the pool I must have used 15-20 towels per day! Not to mention the white sheets and duvet covers that were changed daily. By the way, the Terme baths are not to be missed. You can show up at 4 pm (last call) a reservation for the baths is not required and for $55.00, what is there not to like! Skip the massage. The baths were not at all crowded. I went to the spa on a rainy afternoon and left the husband and the kids napping in the room...total bliss for 2 hours!

Although the Grand Wailea is not a 5 star hotel, it is pretty darn nice for an upscale resort. What I like best about the Grand is that there is something for everyone. The adult pool, gym and spa for mom and dad and the best resort pool anywhere that not only kids but parents can enjoy as well. We hope to return next year.

PS - After the first day of valet parking we took advantage of the free self parking lot. The parking spaces were small and it was not ideal to have to walk to the parking lot through the loading and receiving dock. At times we could smell the stench of warm garbage...Yuk!! During our last trip, self parking was located in the current valet lot. We miss the old location and it was too bad our polynesian fantasy was disrupted every time we walked to the car.

3  Thank costcoqueen

Reviewed 23 August 2009

Please forward to your General Manager. Thank you

We just finished another wonderful trip to Grand Wailea. And though we did run into some room hiccups, we were eventually taken care of. Thank you.

However, our reason for writing is to recognize some outstanding staff that continuously makes our visits extremely special. When we arrive, these individuals recognize us immediately and some even remember our names! I wish that I was able to grab all their names, but I for those that I don’t, I am sure that you will be able to identify them:

Management
Assistant Manager – I am not sure of her name, but Sarah had some problems during our check in. Your assistant manager was extremely understanding, gracious and took care of the problem quickly. Key Asset! – but you probably knew that already!

Napua Tower
Ken (Concierge) – Sarah would not know what to do, if it weren’t for Ken who has taken care of all her concerns for our family. He is simply GREAT and one of reasons why we enjoyed our first visit so much and decided to return. Key Asset!
Zenith (Bartender) – where did you find her? I watched in amazement as she remembered guest’s names after guests and their drinks as well! She remembered us just as we arrived! She is AWESOME! Key Asset!

Cabana Services
Nelson – Sarah just loves his smile and tremendous disposition. He is great with the kids and extremely helpful for EVERYTHING! Key Asset!

Pool
KaryAnn (Activities) – I am not sure when this girl sleeps?! She was one of the first to greet us as soon as she saw us at the pool. And the kids just love her (and Courtney is usually shy!). She IS one of the reasons why we keep coming back. She really works hard to take care of everyone wherever she is! One of your key assets!

Larry (now at HumuHumu) – what a great smile, and attitude. He is great with people and has one of those natural ways about him that you cannot help feel good when you see him.

Gym
I don’t know her name, but extremely kind and friendly. Tall, with long brown hair and big brown eyes. Hands a towel to each guest when they arrive and helps to anyone that is lost or looks confused with the equipment.

Bellmen
We missed their names, but one of the men has been there since we started coming 7 years ago. He looks like a model and has a tremendous attitude to help anyone coming and going. He works outside and takes the bags just as we pull up. He took our Christmas pictures by the waterfall this year.

The other bellman actually took care of our bags when we checked out. Tall, bald, and goatee – like stone cold Steve Austin. (Ha! But much nicer!) Great relief and help since we wanted to get dinner before catching our evening flight and he took care of everything, bags stored, retrieved, taxi, loaded and go!

Housekeeping
I know that we never got to know them in person or by name, but they were terrific in taking care of the messes we left behind each day. And can I say extremely honest?! One morning in my haste, I left my money clip on the night table. I did not realize it until I returned to the room that afternoon and found it placed discreetly on the night stand under the notepad.

The point is, during these difficult times, it would be easy to cut corners and not employ people like the ones above – but you didn’t and that is why we are so grateful to have been treated so well by your staff. Thank you!

Reviewed 22 August 2009

Overall, my family and I had a nice time at this resort. I was disappointed by how crowded the pool area was, at times literally nowhere to sit. Very clean rooms, great beach, food and all extras are quite expensive. (cabanas $300/day, Mac & Cheese $10, beer $8) Complimentary beach chairs and umbrellas were a nice surprise. Service was average. For the price, I would look elsewhere next time.

1  Thank ncdadws
Reviewed 22 August 2009

Pleasing to the senses. Delightful and engaging for the kids. This was our second trip and we will go again.

Reviewed 22 August 2009

My family stayed here for 4 nights and unfortunately this hotel is overpriced. Although the kids(ages 6,11, 13) loved the pool/slides/beach) it was crowded for a hotel that was not booked. We think the hotel was recruiting islanders to use the pool/beach for a daily rate and/or cruise ships. The hotel rooms were old and needed rennovation. When six out of the 8 handles on the bureau came off in both of the rooms...its time to get new furniture. Also, be prepared to spend a lot of money on food. On a positive note, the grounds/location are beautiful and the spa was excellent but I would look into the Fairmont, 4seasons or Ritz.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank hawaii0709
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
1 km away
1 km away
Andaz Maui At Wailea
37.2 km away
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK