7,278 results
All reviewswater elevatornapua towerlazy rivergrand wailearope swingchapel wingbistro molokinihibiscus poolvolcano barthe grand dining roomcafe kulaspa grandefour seasonspool areaadult poolper dayvalet parking
Reviewed 23 August 2009

Please forward to your General Manager. Thank you

We just finished another wonderful trip to Grand Wailea. And though we did run into some room hiccups, we were eventually taken care of. Thank you.

However, our reason for writing is to recognize some outstanding staff that continuously makes our visits extremely special. When we arrive, these individuals recognize us immediately and some even remember our names! I wish that I was able to grab all their names, but I for those that I don’t, I am sure that you will be able to identify them:

Management
Assistant Manager – I am not sure of her name, but Sarah had some problems during our check in. Your assistant manager was extremely understanding, gracious and took care of the problem quickly. Key Asset! – but you probably knew that already!

Napua Tower
Ken (Concierge) – Sarah would not know what to do, if it weren’t for Ken who has taken care of all her concerns for our family. He is simply GREAT and one of reasons why we enjoyed our first visit so much and decided to return. Key Asset!
Zenith (Bartender) – where did you find her? I watched in amazement as she remembered guest’s names after guests and their drinks as well! She remembered us just as we arrived! She is AWESOME! Key Asset!

Cabana Services
Nelson – Sarah just loves his smile and tremendous disposition. He is great with the kids and extremely helpful for EVERYTHING! Key Asset!

Pool
KaryAnn (Activities) – I am not sure when this girl sleeps?! She was one of the first to greet us as soon as she saw us at the pool. And the kids just love her (and Courtney is usually shy!). She IS one of the reasons why we keep coming back. She really works hard to take care of everyone wherever she is! One of your key assets!

Larry (now at HumuHumu) – what a great smile, and attitude. He is great with people and has one of those natural ways about him that you cannot help feel good when you see him.

Gym
I don’t know her name, but extremely kind and friendly. Tall, with long brown hair and big brown eyes. Hands a towel to each guest when they arrive and helps to anyone that is lost or looks confused with the equipment.

Bellmen
We missed their names, but one of the men has been there since we started coming 7 years ago. He looks like a model and has a tremendous attitude to help anyone coming and going. He works outside and takes the bags just as we pull up. He took our Christmas pictures by the waterfall this year.

The other bellman actually took care of our bags when we checked out. Tall, bald, and goatee – like stone cold Steve Austin. (Ha! But much nicer!) Great relief and help since we wanted to get dinner before catching our evening flight and he took care of everything, bags stored, retrieved, taxi, loaded and go!

Housekeeping
I know that we never got to know them in person or by name, but they were terrific in taking care of the messes we left behind each day. And can I say extremely honest?! One morning in my haste, I left my money clip on the night table. I did not realize it until I returned to the room that afternoon and found it placed discreetly on the night stand under the notepad.

The point is, during these difficult times, it would be easy to cut corners and not employ people like the ones above – but you didn’t and that is why we are so grateful to have been treated so well by your staff. Thank you!

Reviewed 22 August 2009

Overall, my family and I had a nice time at this resort. I was disappointed by how crowded the pool area was, at times literally nowhere to sit. Very clean rooms, great beach, food and all extras are quite expensive. (cabanas $300/day, Mac & Cheese $10, beer $8) Complimentary beach chairs and umbrellas were a nice surprise. Service was average. For the price, I would look elsewhere next time.

1  Thank ncdadws
Reviewed 22 August 2009

Pleasing to the senses. Delightful and engaging for the kids. This was our second trip and we will go again.

Reviewed 22 August 2009

My family stayed here for 4 nights and unfortunately this hotel is overpriced. Although the kids(ages 6,11, 13) loved the pool/slides/beach) it was crowded for a hotel that was not booked. We think the hotel was recruiting islanders to use the pool/beach for a daily rate and/or cruise ships. The hotel rooms were old and needed rennovation. When six out of the 8 handles on the bureau came off in both of the rooms...its time to get new furniture. Also, be prepared to spend a lot of money on food. On a positive note, the grounds/location are beautiful and the spa was excellent but I would look into the Fairmont, 4seasons or Ritz.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank hawaii0709
Reviewed 21 August 2009

We are checking out of the Grand Wailea today and we are really happy to be getting out of here. We've been in Maui for about ten days for our honeymoon and have been staying at a few places including the Ritz Carlton, the Hotel Hana and the Grand Wailea. The Grand Wailea has been a HUGE disappointment.

The service is lackluster at best and the entire place is packed with people. There is nothing relaxing about being here- it has the feel of an overpacked cruise ship. The grounds were supposed to be luxurious but are actually pretty tacky. There are ads everywhere for everything from vow renewals to property ownership and the whole place is just a tourist trap nightmare. My husband and I booked a spa treatment at the spa hoping that it would be a nice retreat but it was just more overpriced tourist fodder. The hydrotherapy room was so packed with people that it just seemed gross to be jumping in and out of the pools- you couldn't get any room to yourself. The service at the spa was not good, the whole place is much more hype than reality. At the end of the day we spent over $800 on spa treatments today and if I had to do it over again I wouldn't have done it.

Moral of the story- this place is not at all worth it. We had heard that from some of the reviews on TripAdvisor and didn't listen and we couldn't regret it more. We made the mistake of pre-paying for our room and we were so disappointed when we arrived that we tried to cancel and go somewhere else but due to prepaying didn't have the flexibility to do so. If we could have left the day we checked in we absolutely would have.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple