7,439 results
All reviews water elevator napua tower lazy river grand wailea hibiscus pool chapel wing rope swing bistro molokini the grand dining room cafe kula spa grande four seasons pool area adult pool per day valet parking ocean view
Reviewed 30 April 2009

So, we stayed at the Grand Wailea a few years ago when it was badly in need of renovation and didn't enjoy our trip then. This time we added a couple of days to our trip at the last minute and decided to give it a try after hearing about the renovation.

First off the renovation is great. I would not have recognized the rooms from our previous stay. New carpet, furniture, a great comfortable bed, really nice. No more mold or mildew smell. The rooms are now right there in the 4 Star category. The service was also much better. We were upgraded to a ocean view deluxe room that did have a nice view of the property and ocean. They were at low occupancy so we had no issues with housekeeping or getting service by the pool or beach. The pools are great. We have 4 kids - 8,7,4,2 and there was a pool for each of them. The little ones love the small pools connected by small slides and then down to a nice flowing river. The older kids loved the large slides and rope swing park. The largest slide is really fun even for adults. The pool area was not crowded with minimal lines and we always were able to get good spots in the shade. The grounds of the hotel are huge with rivers, small lakes with fish, and bridges. Our kids really liked walking around the property. All of the above made this a great stay.

As other reviews have said be prepared to be nickel and dimmed here. I was expecting it but was surprised still. A cabana at the pool was $225 per day ($70 at nearby places), drinks in the $15 range, breakfast buffet for us was over $100 (Adequate but nothing special). In general for the rates they charge you would expect a higher quality of food and service. This didn't affect our trip but should be noted.

The biggest surprise came on our last night. We came back to our room to find a note under our door saying that all the upper pools, river, slides, etc. would be closed Tuesday to Friday. Not a word about this when we checked in or at any time during our stay until this note. We were checking out the next morning so it didn't affect us but it would have really messed up our trip if we would have been just arriving. I understand that these complicated systems need maintenance but no notice. I know the Hawaii hotels are hurting but is seems short sighted to not warn people checking in or making reservations about this. I would guess having 4 days of down revenue is better than losing customers.

Anyway, we had a great time at this resort as the pool closure didn't affect us and I would definitely come back but I would really ask to confirm the pool will be open when you are there.

Reviewed 29 April 2009

I am writing from the perspective of visiting the Grand Wailea with my wife and 2 children (ages 15 and 12) on April 21-24. The hotel is great - we all had something to do at all times of the day. Big pool, beach, and shopping (nearby) and other nice resorts to visit within walking distance.

The overall facilities: Really first class. Many open areas to sit, great views and nice beach and pools. In fact, there is a water park for the kids. Kept them busy all day. Also, I did not notice large crowds. There was always a place for the 4 of us to set-up camp by the pool or on the beach (at any time of the day). I saw they had an "adults only pool/area" and it looked empty most of the time.

The room: Since I am a Hilton frequent stayer, we were upgraded to an ocean front room. The room was large enough for an extra cot and the view was the best we ever experienced. The bath was also extra spacious and fit all of our stuff.

Food: This is the only area I felt was lacking. It cost ~$100 to have hamburgers and soda's at the pool (and they were marginal at that). In fact, all of the restuarants were very overpriced (about double what you would expect from a resort). We did have dinner at one of the other dining rooms and thought the same - ok food quality and very high prices. On the last day though we found the shops at Wailea (5 minute walk from the hotel). Several restuarant choices (and takeout) that was very good and about 1/2 price.

Service: Again great. Everyone was very attentive and always greeted you with a smile.

The bottom line: On our next trip back to Maui, I won't consider staying anywhere else. We tried the Hyatt for the first part of our trip and it was nice but nowhere near as good as the Grand Wailea.

3  Thank EworksMA
Reviewed 26 April 2009

We are frequent Maui visitors and usually rent a private home for our vacation. My kids always long for a pool so on this trip instead of forking over $400 to go to a luau or snorkeling trip we spent one night at the Grand Wailea in order to use their amazing pool.

The cheapest rate we could find online was $468 for a midweek, garden view room. We were allowed to check in at noon and get right down to the pool. Only trouble is you have to have chairs staked out at 7AM if you want a place to sit. We wandered around the PACKED pool area and finally "squatted" on some chairs in front of an unrented cabana. Cabana's rent for $300 a day! So many were not being used and have both chairs under cover and right in front. The ones in front are covered with towels but we went ahead and set our stuff there. I wouldn't have felt comfortable sitting there for fear of getting kicked off.

The kids had a blast in the pool. It was a little cold for me and the 2 hot tubs were packed with people. 2 kids meals, 2 adult meals and 2 cocktails cost $92 poolside. Ouch.

The room was lovely. We were upgraded to a partial ocean view. The bathroom was all marble and enormous. It was clean. The bed was comfy and soft. We sent the kids back to the house with the sitter and spent the night alone as a couple. Ahhhh this part was heavenly.

We woke up at 6:30 AM the next morning to stake out some shaded lounge chairs. The night before we'd scouted out 3 choices. At exactly 6:58 I arrived poolside to find our first 2 choices already taken. I scrambled to the 3rd, tossed things from my bag onto them and then stood in a line 10 deep (at 7 freaking AM) to get towels. Amazing. And this was after the spring break weeks on a Wednesday morning. They do have a policy that they will remove personal things from chairs not used for an hour but I never saw them do this. There are very few chairs with umbrellas over them which is hard when you have small children.

Overall we're glad we did it once but we would never go back. The only draw of this resort over neighboring ones is the pool and my kids were bored with it by the 2nd day. The stress of having to wait in line, jostling for chairs etc. took away from any fun we had. There are so many cheaper places to stay with free chairs, ocean view etc. for half the price. For that much money I expect to feel pampered not like a lemming.

2  Thank hipmamatravels
Reviewed 25 April 2009

We (extended-extended family) stayed at the resort for 5 nights. This place is beautiful and the grounds are well maintained. There is selfpark and valet at the hotel, so parking your rental car is a breeze. We found that it was nice to have a rental car to get around town and try out some of the local eateries and tour the area.

Since there was a bunch of us at the resort, I was able to take a peek in several rooms. In general the rooms were well appointed and everyone seemed happy with their rooms. However, I did notice that some bathrooms were more outdated than others.

We attended a catered event one of the evenings and the event staff was fantastic. Usually banquet food falls short even at finest establishments but the food was delicious. We also enjoyed dinner at the hotel’s Humuhumunukunukuapa’a Restaurant. What a beautifully romantic setting! Recommend: tiger prawns and lobster bisque to start. As you would expect food was expensive... very expensive throughout the resort.

The pools were FUNtastic! I saw young and old alike enjoying the pool areas… lazy river, swing rope,… The pool and beach areas were pretty crowded at times. But I don’t recall having too much trouble getting a lounge chair. We were able to rent umbrellas and kayaks from the hotel staff at the beach.

(TIP: be cautious of mosquitoes!)

Date of stay: January 2009
1  Thank PaReviewer003
Reviewed 23 April 2009

I booked the Grand Wailea Resort for 2 nights (April 17 - 19, 2009) for a weekend getaway (18 of us traveling from O'ahu). We were very impressed with the service from the time we got there to the minute we left. I am very particular about service, safety, cleanliness and location when I travel. The Grand Wailea Resort Hotel & Spa has it all!

Upon arrival we were greeted with leis, which we thought were a nice touch. Check-in was hassle free and they were friendly and very accomodating in having us placed in the same wing (we were on the chapel side). The amount of Aloha at this hotel is overwhelming, service was superb. I can't believe how people can write mediocre reviews for this hotel.

The rooms were clean, spacious and well lit. Bathrooms were spacious, equipped with a glass shower stall and separate tub. The towels were huge, soft and fluffy. Linens on the beds were crisp and clean. The room's air conditioning system was a great asset during the humid weekend. The big flat screen TV was a nice addition. The only thing our room was missing was a refrigerator and microwave. But it was equipped with a stocked mini-bar.

We enjoyed every minute of our time spent at the hotel and can't wait to go back. The pool was beautiful and a lot of us made use of it every single time it was open and we weren't out and about.

Tips: Go see 'Ulalena at the Maui Myth and Magic Theatre in Lahaina and instead of going up to Haleakala at sunrise, go at sunset, it's beautiful and you'll save yourself the early morning wake-up of 4 am. If you have children between the ages of 5 - 12, I highly suggest enrolling them in Camp Grande, the staff is well trained, friendly and overall fun people, perfect for kids!

I highly recommend this hotel, you won't be sorry.

2  Thank Lovetotravel808