7,279 results
All reviewswater elevatornapua towerlazy rivergrand wailearope swingchapel wingbistro molokinihibiscus poolvolcano barthe grand dining roomcafe kulaspa grandefour seasonspool areaadult poolper dayvalet parking
Reviewed 27 January 2013 via mobile

A mega hotel in paradise. Whether you are 70 or 3, there is seriously something for everyone here. Everything is spread out, staff is cordial and keeps everything clean.

My favorite: the sunbathing lawn and the Grotto pool bar!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 27 January 2013

We stayed at the Grand Wailea several years ago and had a really nice time. This was before the hotel was sold. We are planning to return to Maui this summer so I was looking at the reviews from the past year. All I can say is that I am amazed at the defensive tone that this hotel takes when faced with a negative review. I get it, you cant please all of the people all of the time. But I had to laugh at some of the responses to reviews which were less than positive. Seems to me that the hotel needs to spend some money training their PR staff. Sometimes there is nothing you can say when customers are not happy, but to out and out accuse them of being scammers just lowers your own credibility...

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank cradlemom
GrandWaileaMAUI, Manager at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2013

You are right, we have since made changes in how we respond to our valued guest concerns, thank you for pointing this out. We are glad that you understand reviews are subjective but also we want to assure everyone we take all feedback seriously. We are passionate about our resort and the experience of our guests. Thank you again for sharing your comments, we sincerely hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back this summer.

Reviewed 26 January 2013

You know what they say... go where the locals go! I have lived on Maui for over 25 years and still think that this is one of the best hotels I've ever stayed at. If we have a special birthday or event to celebrate we like to stay at the Grand Wailea. Make sure you go to the Spa. My Favorite!!! The pools at the Grand are so much fun for everyone!

Room Tip: Its expensive but worth it!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 January 2013

We spent 5 night at the Grand Wailea and really enjoyed it. The room was nice, not amazing but comfortable and nice decor. The resort grounds, pools etc were amazing. With so many water slides, pools, water elevator and right on the magical beach this place was definitely the place to stay in Maui. We'd been told this part of the island is sheltered in winter from the winds and it was true. Other parts of the island were windy but not here. We knew January would be busy and not the best time to travel to Hawaii but although it was busy we could always get a lounge by the pool. With a multiple pools it always felt private. The staff were so friendly and helpful. The shops, pools, foyers, bars are so majestic you feel like you are on a giant cruise ship. Being busy we needed to book dinner a day ahead which is not our style but we got use to it. The restaurants here are wonderful, expensive of course but worth it. We ate next door at the Four Seasons one night and it felt so stuffy and closed in. Here at the Wailea it was more open and relaxed. The little cafe/grocery store had everything you need, even alcohol which was much cheaper than room service. If travelling from outside the US like us be aware there is no stocked mini bar, you need to stock this yourself or order room service. Our room wa son level 7 overlooking the ponds and ocean and it was so relaxing. The sound of the water meant you could even sleep with the door open for a lovely sea breeze. The sunsets here are magical. Our only negative was we requested 2 queen beds, one for our 12 year old daughter and instead was given a sofa bed which was extremely hard. Otherwise this place was well worth the expense. Travelling at a quieter time would make it even more memorable.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 January 2013

This may very well be my favorite hotel ever...I absolutely loved it. We stayed at the Grand Wailea November 29 - December 6th so it was not a peak time. The first part of the week was very quiet, about midway through there was convention that arrived and the hotel was at capacity. I have to say having the resort pretty much to ourselves at the beginning of our stay was really wonderful....it was fine with more guests but it did change the experience as lines were a bit longer for breakfast, dinners, the pools and the spa. So if you happen to be able to find a time when the crowds are down at the resort...you will absolutely love it! The resort was decorated for the holidays and was so beautiful. It really reminded me of being in a floating city. Water was integrated into all the designs and it really carried the water theme from outside throughout the hotel. Our flight was very late arriving and the staff was wonderful checking us in and the valet was so helpful. They were great with directions and tips for seeing the sights. They even gave us towels to take with us on the Road to Hana. I'm telling you I could get used to having water bottles in my vehicle when I go anywhere too! I missed that when I got home!

We stayed in room 9030 in Wailea Tower. It was a deluxe ocean view room and it was amazing. I must say that all views are not created equal at this hotel and if you can afford the deluxe ocean view and want to see the ocean...it is definitely worth it. We woke up every morning to a beautiful view of the ocean and resort from our bed. It was so beautiful and just added to that "paradise" feeling. The room was very spacious, the bathroom was huge with a separate tub, shower and toilet area. There was only one sink in the bathroom but it was a large countertop and we didn't have any problem sharing the area.

The grounds were immaculate and beautiful. It was like having your very own tropical garden. We spent part of a day just walking around taking photos of the gardens. The wedding chapel is beautiful and the setting is just amazing. The gardens...the pools...the beach....just gorgeous.

We took many day trips from the hotel so we really only spent one day lounging at the pool. Since we had limited time, we decided to rent a cabana for the day. As others have noted...the cabanas are expensive...but to us it was worth the cost. We had a place to sit and put our things..to relax and just enjoy the day. Others have mentioned long lines at the pool check-in. We didn't experience this and it was in the more crowded part of our week. We arrived and checked in...yes you have to get a wristband for the pool...and then they give you towels. I don't see where this is a horrible policy as the pool area is just off of the public beach and it keeps people out of the pools that are not staying at the Grand Wailea. I've seen the same policies at Disney World Resort pools that are very popular so this did not bother us at all. I can see where the pools would get crowded quickly and seating could be an issue if you don't get down there early. We were by the adult pool and there was never too much of a crowd. Pool temperature was not hot but was comfortable and refreshing. Our cabana service provided us with bottles of water on ice, a platter of fruit and banana bread, towels, seating. Lunch was available for an additional cost as were drinks. Midway through the day we were brought frozen grapes and cool towels. Not something we could afford everyday but it was a nice indulgence.

We had the breakfast buffet in the grande dining room. The first day we went...it was toward the end of serving. No lines....lots of food. The second time we went was after the convention descended and it was a totally different story. Long lines...a long wait...the servers were struggling to keep up with restocking the food. Both times the food was excellent and there was a large selection...just another difference between when the hotel was less busy and then busy. We tried going another time but the line was so long and we had other plans for the day so we decided to pass and go to the Cafe Kula where we had a made to order breakfast. It was cheaper...no lines...outdoor seating just outside the cafe. So if you are there during a busy time, you might want to have a backup plan for meals.

We had dinner one evening at HumuHumu. We stopped at the concierge earlier in the day and made our reservation. Richard was awesome...he got us a rail seat for the evening so we had a perfect view of sunset. The food was good...on the pricier side but very good and they gave us free drink coupons when we checked in so that also helped with the cost.

We spent one day at the spa.....what a wonderful experience. I would highly recommend the spa if you have the time and money to fit it into your plans. Again, it's on the pricey side but was really an "experience". We had the couples massage and it was just so relaxing and wonderful....also the use of the baths ahead of our treatment was absolutely wonderful.

Everyone we encountered was so friendly and really went out of their way to make sure that we had a perfect stay. I really couldn't have asked for anything more during our stay.

Room Tip: The higher floor you are on the better your view. The view definitely matters at this hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple