All reviews shacks beach blue hole either direction minute drive amazing views vt trevor units tropical paradise ocean island pr patio supermarket shore groceries
Reviewed 31 December 2012

Relaxing and beautiful vacation. Best vacation yet! Location is perfect. We had fresh fish from crash boat beach everyday. The views from our deck were priceless. The beach is really nice. If you Surf there is lots of opportunity.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank peteanderin
Reviewed 24 December 2012

I went to Shacks Beach at Villa Tropical for 2 weeks and had a great time. My boyfriend and I stayed in a great 1 bedroom apt that was very affordable. (Q3) It has a great deck overlooking the ocean and it's about 10 meters from the ocean! You do need a car there to get around, but it's not far to get the things you need. The snorkeling in front of the house is amazing and for those that like surfing, I highly recommend taking class with Carlos Pagan (feyoylillia@yahoo.com) we had a blast learning how to surf there with him. All in all a great getaway!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 December 2012

If you want a low key place to stay near the beach to hang out and be off the beaten path this is a good place to stay. The staff is very friendly and helpful in answering questions or getting any requests taken care of. The villa (R1) has basic amenities that were sufficient for us and our stay there. We went as a family and we had a good time hanging out on the beach playing in the sand, flying kites and playing in the water. If you are a surfer (kite, board, wind, etc...) its definitely a great place to stay.

Other reviews mention that it is not that far away from San Juan, and its not at about 70 miles, but you need to understand that it is not a simple 1 1/2 hour drive between the two. The closest we got in driving from San Juan to here is 2 hrs 20 minutes and that was on the best, lowest traffic day ever. Depending on when you come into San Juan you can hit massive traffic and traffic jams. I would not recommend staying here if you plan on traveling out to San Juan or back and forth to there, the travel and stress of the drive is not worth it. (We hit Friday evening rush hour and it was closer to 3 hours to get out to here from San Juan)

That said, this would be a great place to hang out for a few days or a week and just relax. Ola Lola's Garden bar is a 5 minute walk down the road for breakfast, lunch or dinner and the menu changes every day. You will need a car to get out to other places.

The view from our villa was fantastic and getting on and off the beach was easy. Stay here a few days to unplug and recharge your batteries. When we do come back, I would be happy to just stay at the villa and hit Ola Lola's everyday while I am there.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank SBobcat
Reviewed 29 November 2012

My husband and I landed on thanksgiving and stayed at the R1 apartment in the Villa Tropical (atleast for the first couple of days ). Nolly was extremely nice and helped us check-in and show us our apartment. The view from R1 was absolutely fantastic!! The apartment itself was a little outdated. Even though we chose the "view" over an updated apt ,it turned out we wanted a better kitchen and a bathroom :). The stairs from R1 which would open up directly into the beach was washed away by sandy. I guess it should be fixed soon. Nevertheless the walk around the apt to get to the beach was less than 30 seconds. The reef is bang opposite R1 and so is the swimming area. The beach is simply beautiful. Never have I stayed in a place with the beach right in your backyard where you could snorkell, surf , paraglide and scuba. Simply amazing. We got to see a lot of fishes and meet some very nice people.

We got locked out of our apt the very first day as we left the keys inside the house and decided to have a nice dinner on the deck. Jennifer was extremely nice and helped us get back in with a slice of homemade pie!! This was on thanksgiving day btw.

We didnt have hot water in the bathrooms . We had to heat water on the stove and take a shower indian style ;). We decided to move to F1 as it was updated and trevor gave us a refund for the first day and did not charge us for the snorkelling equipment we rented for the entire week !

Overall we loved villa tropical and love love loved the beach! Will definitely be going back there again. But we will fly into the aguadilla airport which is 5 mins from isabela!

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank nisharavindran
Reviewed 28 November 2012

The bed is made out of god knows what. Sounds like cardboard crunching. VERY small room not suite. That room is not nice in anyway. This place is close to nothing so plan on transportation. We don't surf and that's the only reason you want to go here. I got caught in an undertow and taken out over my head in a second. Thank god a guy from Texas was on his honeymoon and was able to pull me in. No one from V-T made me aware of an undertow. The deck and grill are very nice and the beach is long and wide. Parking is tricky. A coin washer and dryer are handy.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple