“Some things are just unacceptable”

Hampton Inn & Suites Natchez
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Natchez
Mt. Charleston, Nevada
“Some things are just unacceptable”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I have stayed at this Hampton Inn many, many times over the past 4 years, almost always paying for their biggest room. It has many good points that have been mentioned by other reviewers. My experience with service has varied considerably over that time, but the latest stay made me decide to never stay there again.

During this five night stay, we were awoken during the hours of darkness (usually around 4:30 am) three times by false fire alarms and once by the TV coming on of its own accord at 6 am at very loud volume. That's four out of five nights where we were jolted awake by very loud sounds. I don't find the good points of this hotel outweigh this unacceptable situation.

I will point out that the TV issue has been present in many of the rooms for the past 2-3 years and I have learned to unplug the TV before going to bed and I forgot to do so the one night it came on this stay. It is the only solution, it has nothing to do with the settings on the TV but with some server in the bowels of the hotel. But how many hotels have you stayed in where you need to unplug the TV before going to sleep? How many hotels would allow such a thing to continue seemingly forever?

The fire alarm thing is new to me at this hotel but when mentioning it to the front desk the response is very polite but goes something like "It shouldn't do that and I think someone called the alarm company but I don't know if it was resolved. Let's hope it doesn't go off tonight." Then it does go off that night. Lather, rinse, repeat.

While one does get a tepid apology, no one at the hotel ever offered to refund part of the room price or any other compensation.

Room Tip: Be sure to unplug your TV every night before going to sleep.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Crewdog
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Jackson, MS
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I attempted to make a reservation for a conference that will take place on next week in Natchez. However, I could never get through. Then when I finally get through to the hotel, I am placed on hold so long the phone eventually cut off. Then I call the 1-800 number to say something and the young lady attempted to help. However, I found myself repeating everything to her twice adding to the flustration. I ask to speak with someone else and the best she can do is offer me a rate $30 more than the rate quoted for conference guest. Needless to say I refused to make the reservation and I know Hampton will never get my business with such poor customer service.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Waterford, Michigan
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Stayed only one night, but it was great. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We asked for a room with a view and they put us on the 4th floor overlooking the river. Very relaxing to sit and watch the tugs and barges going up and down the river. At night the bridge was lit and it was a beautiful sight. Breakfast was very good and the suite was large and very clean. Very nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Restaurants down at the rivers edge are a must. We had lunch at the Magnolia and it was delightful.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 628KathleenH
Fredonia, Wisconsin
Reviewed 26 March 2012

This was our first Hampton Inn stay. It costs moe than some others but the hotel was a step up. Request a top floor room facing the river. We sat in the room and watched a beautiful sunset.

Room Tip: You can walk to Fat Mama's Tamales for great margaritas and food.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Betsy Schill
Reviewed 18 March 2012

We chose this hotel based on tripadvisor ratings and were not disappointed. We got an excellent rate which was discounted further by my AARP membership. The check in staff was very friendly, even looked up the number for the local Papa Johns that my daughter wanted to order for dinner. There were warm, fresh cookies and a beautiful huge guest/ breakfast area across from the front desk. I noticed several guests making use of the space as we checked in.
The beds are topped with fluffy white duvets, which I found reassuring (you know those horror stories of recycled bedspreads- these were white and clean!). My daughter was amazed at how modern and plush the room looked. The beds were so comfortable, as was the climate control. I've stayed in rooms that get stuffy late at night, but not this hotel. The bathroom was bright and clean and stocked with plenty of toiletries, that my daughter absconded immediately. Good strong wifi, easily accessed, kept us both busy on our netbooks.
Breakfast choices were good- lots of variety. I had a great bowl of fresh oatmeal, I could tell it was made with real oats- not the quick kind. Lots of mix-ins helped me customize it to my liking. The coffee was good, and there were plenty of tables spread across a big space, so I didn't feel like I was eating with the entire hotel.
Highly recommend this hotel- I've stayed in the other name brand hotel close to the bridge in Natchez- and for the same price, the Hampton Inn and Suites is a MUCH MUCH better value.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family