“Beautiful” 5 of 5 bubbles

St. Mary Basilica
Ranked #5 of 48 things to do in Natchez
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Recognized as an architectural masterpiece among Catholic churches in the south, it is the spiritual home of a vibrant St. Mary Catholic community today. The construction of this place of worship was begun in 1842 as the Cathedral of the newly established Diocese of Natchez. The St. Mary congregation takes pride in the basilica's colorful and prayerful setting, and welcomes visitors from near and distant places. The city of Natchez, on the Mississippi River and the birthplace of Mississippi, is a tourist destination because of its historic ante-bellum homes. St. Mary Basilica, also ante-bellum, is the city's central landmark.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Stairs / lift
Pensacola, Florida
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

I am not Catholic,but I had to go inside.It is beautiful and peaceful.A must see!!!

Visited October 2011
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Brandon
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Beautiful no matter your religion”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

My husband and I are Southern Baptist but enjoyed viewing the beautiful St. Mary Basilica. It's full of lots of pretty stained glass windows depicting various scenes from the bible and large beautiful statues. It is typically opened during the day and you can just walk in for a self tour. It's a nice place to visit in Natchez that only takes 5-10 minutes if you're pressed for time and want to get out and see as much as you can.

Visited July 2011
2 Thank Magnolia84
Ocean Springs, Mississippi
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“It was closed!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

We arrived before closing time reflected at the front and found it closed and the door locked. We enjoyed the Episcopal Church! Lovely windows.

Visited October 2011
2 Thank Marilyn Q
State College, Pennsylvania
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Hidden gem in the South”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

We arrived in Natchez while traveling from Texas to Alabama. We arrived too early and almost nothing was open. I saw a large church steeple in the distance and drove towards it. I found this church with is a Catholic Basilica. It was built as a cathedral in 1843. This place has been well kept and is absolutely beautiful. I admit I am a cathedral type guy and i am in awe when I walk in but even my friend who doesn't normally show excitement was thrilled to have seen this place. I took many pictures. Check out their website to get a glimpse.

Visited January 2011