“I loved the Pageant!”

Natchez Pilgrimage Tours Day Tours
Ranked #3 of 11 Tours in Natchez
Reviewed 23 March 2011

After reading some reviews I had low expectations but I must say I was thoroughly surprised by how much I enjoyed the Historic Natchez Pageant. The event was well worth the price of the ticket considering how much hard work goes into a production like this, In addition the proceeds go towards the hefty expenses of preserving the beautiful period homes in the Natchez area. I understand there have been some changes made to include speaking parts and more background about the history of all the early inhabitants- including the Natchez Indians and the contributions made by African Americans in the settlement of the area. What impressed me most was the time and dedication required of the performers, many of them age 8-18. After speaking with a local, I learned that these young people begin a rigorous practice schedule months ahead of time, not to mention the out of pocket expenses for the beautiful and elaborate costumes. The sense of community and pride is evident here and in my opinion is to be highly commended.

6  Thank PropertyManagement07
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Natchez Pilgrimage Tours Day Tours

Reviewed 17 March 2010

The pilgrimage of homes is very nice, but the Pageant was so bad that we left after 30 minutes.

6  Thank Pat M
Reviewed 28 March 2009

Went to Natchez for their annual Spring Pilgrimage during the middle of the week in March. '09. I had looked at their website prior to leaving home, but waited until I got to the visitor center late Wednesday to purchase my tickets for the next day's tour. I went on the RED tour Thursday morning. For a small additional fee you can take the shuttle bus, but we elected to drive ourselves. The town is small and we were given an easy to follow map, so it was no problem driving ourselves. The visitors center ladies were nice and helpful and answered all our questions.
Our Red Tour began at 9:00 the next morning. We saw 3 homes: Stanton Hall; Routhland; and Hawthorne. We had ample time to visit all three and did not feel rushed. The ladies and gentlemen who were conducting the tours were very knowledgeable and friendly. The largest home, Stanton Hall, was a real showplace. Although it was magnificent, I must say I enjoyed going through the two smaller homes of Routhland and Hawthorne, more. They are still lived in and have a warm, family feel. The owners were very hospitable.
In the afternoon, we added Longwood on to our tour package. What a unique place! In all, we had a wonderful 2 days in Natchez and I highly recommend going through their beautiful homes. I'll do this again!

8  Thank Bastrop52
Reviewed 8 October 2008

First time for the pilgrimage. We enjoyed the houses and Longwood. I would like to go back to see other houses.

3  Thank Melanie Dautreu... G
A TripAdvisor Member
Arlington, TX
Reviewed 20 September 2004

The women who give the tours have been doing this too long. Their tone and delivery of the information is just plain tired. Or bored. The houses deserve much more enthusiasm. I suggest going to the homes - but not expecting too much from the tour guides. I went in March 2004.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member