“Gem of a Place in Keystone” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Battle Creek Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Keystone
Battle Creek Lodge
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Keystone
Golden, Colorado
“Gem of a Place in Keystone”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

I found this property through TripAdvisor. True to form, it didn't disappoint. The owners Tammy and Cine were not only helpful but very friendly. It's a property that is well-cared for. I didn't even realize that the light outside our room was out until the next day when Cine was coming through with their maintenance crew to point it out as she had noticed.

The room was very quiet and comfortable. We were not facing the street, and it was very quiet. They have a lovely deck with a grill, chairs, and a fire pit. The fire pit even has a flashlight tucked away next to the on switch so you can see what you're doing. We sat out there and eventually was joined by a young man who asked to join us and then sat and played his ukelele (yes, I did say that) quietly. It was very soothing, actually.

The rooms were newly carpeted and they have flat-panel screen TVs with satellite (not a deal breaker by any means for me but some people want to know this stuff).

The lobby is very comfortable to hang out in and visit, especially after breakfast. There were eggs, bacon, oatmeal, cereals, etc. When I mentioned that I don't do gluten, Cine pulled out a bag of GF bread from the freezer. Very nice touch (I'm used to getting by - as long as they have some proteins, which they did).

This is a place that is literally tucked into the side of a hill of slate and is a gem of a find. We will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms upstairs and facing the grill area for maximum quiet.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Singingdove
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Winnipeg, MB
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

I had hoped to be able to stay for one week at the BCL.
Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances I could not make an early enough reservation. Consequently, I was unable to secure a reservation for the week I will be in the Black Hills.
However, the way the owner (Tammy) communicated this to me was positively fantastic.

Tammy went out of her way to recommend and help me secure alternate accomdations in the same area. Although I had hoped to stay at BCL on our trip to the Black Hills, I am confident that the choosen accomodations will be to my satisafaction.

Sometimes the way unaccepted reservations are handled tell just as much about the quality of a motel/lodge as an actual stay would. In this case, even though they could not accomodate me, the way Tammy personally communicated this to me via FB and her help in securing alternate quality accomodation is a validation of all the glowing comments on tripadvisor.

Room Tip: Talk to Tammy:)
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Mansfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

Tammy was brilliant was from check in to check out. The fire pit verandah was a special touch, and the breakfasts were plentiful and filling. Would certainly book Battle Creek Lodge if we ever revisited. Far superior to any of the chain motels.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike C
St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

From Battle Creek Lodge, you can easily walk to Keystone stores and restaurants, while staying on a quiet little road away from the hustle and bustle of the center of Keystone. I loved the fact that we could park our car in front of the building, just steps from our room.

A friend and I stayed here 6 nights while visiting Custer State Park, Mt. Rushmore, and Crazy Horse. We also took a day trip to Devil’s Tower, Spearfish Canyon and a quick drive through Deadwood.

While in the area, we found ourselves eating a late lunch. On two evenings, we enjoyed having the table and chairs on the balcony where we ate snacks we brought from home as we were not hungry enough to go out for another full meal.

When a room with 3 windows and view facing away from the street became available, we moved there. Our first room had been a little bigger, but this room had the sink separate from the shower/toilet area, making it easier for 2 people to get dressed in the morning.

The room furnishings are very simple, nothing fancy. Both rooms were very clean. We could tell the carpet was new. One room had pine paneling that gave the room character.

I found Battle Creek Lodge to be affordable and a welcome change of pace from staying in national hotel chains.

The breakfast was good and varied a bit each day as mentioned in other reviews. Loved the French toast!

There is no ice machine, but with the money you save on the room, you can buy some for your cooler just minutes away in the opposite direction of the flashing lights of the “downtown” area. Tammy can provide ice for any cold drinks that you wish to drink in your room or on the cozy balcony.

There is no business center or 24 hour lobby, but I used the free wi-fi in my room and at breakfast and it was reliable and fine speed wise. Once I learned how to use the flat screen TV, I had more than 1 channel. Read the newly provided directions or just ask Tammy for an explanation if you can’t figure out the 2 remotes. Mostly I just wanted to watch the news anyway.

FYI, there are no refrigerators in the room. If you need all of the trappings of a full service hotel, other places might be more to your liking. Do your research and ask questions to find your “must haves” in this part of the country.

I was very pleased with my stay at Battle Creek Lodge and would gladly stay there again.

The owner has a laptop in the breakfast area and attraction brochures. If you have questions about services or attractions, the owners can point you in the right direction.

Stay here and enjoy the Black Hills!

Room Tip: Small place so any room is convenient.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Worcester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

I am a seasoned traveler and am in the process of booking my Summer vacation to Wyoming and South Dakota. I absolutely love tripadvisor.com and appreciate all of the comments that my fellow travelers have submitted for various hotels, restaurants, etc. I'll be staying in the Mount Rushmore area for a few days during my upcoming vacation and decided to stay at the Battle Creek Lodge based on the comments posted on this website.

I called the Battle Creek Lodge a few days ago to make my reservation and had an amazingly wonderful first experience! I spoke to Tammy and she was just awesome! She very quickly answered all of my questions and provided me with a lot of helpful information. I have no doubt that when I get out there, my stay at the Battle Creek Lodge will be just as great.

Thank you for all of your help Tammy. I look forward to meeting you this Summer!

Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Tammy G, Manager at Battle Creek Lodge, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Wow! What a nice thing to hear ~ It is our goal to make sure that all of our guests have the same positive experience that you had, from the first phone call through check out and beyond.

We understand that there are many lodging and vacation options for people to chose from - and we consider it an honor that you have chosen us as your "host". We look forward to meeting you and to sharing our little piece of heaven with you. Until then, we wish you ~

Safe Travels.
Tammy Gilbertson
Battle Creek Lodge
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keystone
0.1 km away
0.3 km away
Mt. Rushmore's White House Resort
9.5 km away
Mountain View Lodge & Cabins

Been to Battle Creek Lodge? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK