“Tasty surprise”
Review of Powder House Lodge

Powder House Lodge
Reviewed 6 September 2012

This is a log cabin style low building containing the restaurant with lodge cabins nearby. We went for an evening meal and found the staff to be very good and the food was tasty and plentiful. Pity about the flies which were bothersome throughout the meal.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dnjones

Reviewed 5 September 2012

We were in the Black Hills area over the Labor Day weekend. We had stayed overnight at Deadwood and were heading to Mt. Rushmore. We were up early and very hungry... I suggested we look for a small restaurant for breakfast and we happened upon the Powder House on our way there. I had eaten there once before many years ago... had a nice dinner... so breakfast must be good I assume. And I was not disappointed... my wife and I split one of their breakfast menu items and it was all excellent! Service was outstanding and the staff was VERY friendly. If I can do it, I'll be sure to time another trip so I happen by the Powder House for breakfast! I checked on cabins there and you can get a cabin for just one night. Might just do that the next time we are in the "Hills". Highly recommend!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank florida_ratingsguy
Reviewed 4 September 2012

A good choice if you value your sleep. Located about a mile from downtown Keystone, Powder House Lodge is close to everything but still peaceful. Especially valued feature during the high season. Rooms are basic, but clean. Our room had microwave and refrigerator, great for early mornings or late night snacks. Lodge also has excellent restaurant with reasonable prices. Eat a hardy breakfast before hitting the roads and you will be good till late afternoon! Their dinner menu have great game dishes. All in all a great location if you want to see Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse monuments or Custer State Park.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank merttu
Reviewed 2 September 2012

When we got to our cabin I was worried. It faced the road and was very noisy at the door...however, when we closed the door...no more noise! The room was small but we were only there to sleep. It was clean and the bed was comfortable. The location was great. Close to everything we wanted to do in the Black Hills and easy access. After going into Keystone, I was even more glad that I had chosen the Powder House Lodge since Keystone was just a "tourist trap" town. We ate that the restaurant at the lodge and it was very good. Highly recommend the Buffalo Stew and the Cherry-Rhubarb Crisp!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2012

The Powder House Lodge was recommended as a nice place to stay for a few days while in the Black Hills. It lived up to the recommendations. Check in was friendly and efficient. The lodge consists of a number of individual cottages and one multi-story building with 14 rooms. The entire complex is located just outside the city of Keystone. The room was of a decent size located on the groud floor of the building on top of the hill. It contained all the amenities needed for the 5 day stay, including 2 large and comfortable beds, excellent air conditioning, a large dresser with ample drawers, as well as table and chairs. The bathroom was a decent size and spotless. During the 5 day stay the room was cleaned each day, including linens, soaps and shampoos replenished.
On the evning of the first day it was discovered that the wireless in the room did not provide any connections. Shortly after contacting the office about this, the manager himself came up to the room to check on the problem and worked for 30 minutes to restore the satelite wireless which from then on worked perfectly for the remainder of the stay.
The complex has a small but clean outside pool where a supply of fresh bath towels is always available.
The Powder House Lodge does not have a breakfast included in the price of the accomodations, but will offer a 10% discount on their breakfast in their restaurant. The restaurant itself is renowded in the area for its excellent cuisine. Having had dinner in the restaurant, I can without hesitation state that the excellent reputation for its food is well deserved.
The location of the lodge makes it a great central point for multiple day visits to the wonderful Black Hills area.
After a 5 day stay at the Powder House Lodge I readily recommend it. I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Book well in advance if you want to stay here in peak season.