Lock in the lowest price from these sites
ZenHotels.com
Travelocity
Hotels.com
All reviews s mores wood stove deluxe tent main tent reception tent camping experience no electricity private bathroom tents were clean charge phones coffee delivered mount rushmore sleeping bags black hills camp fire gravel road walleye
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 August 2021

I am a big tent camper person and tent sites were outstanding! Just remember you are camping so bring a light etc.. clothes line.
I used the bathhouses which were semi clean -some shower stalls needed attention for hair. The staff could improve here.
Food and service very good,but overpriced.
Tents ere comfortable, but needs a bit more functional seating with side arms. We could only comfortably sit on the beds.

Room tip: Beautiful sunrises try get a tent facing east. High quality tent and bedding... super cool stove if needed.
Reviewed 20 August 2021

If you want to impressive your kids with a camping trip but don’t like camping, this is the way to go. We are glad we did this with our four year old and baby. It was a unique experience, but won’t do it again anytime soon.

PROS:
- New, everything feels new.
- Super clean, everywhere…. the outdoors, bathrooms, room, common areas…
- Cool view of Mount Rushmore from the common area.
- The staff was all fantastic and went out of their way to help.
- Branded souvenirs specific to Under Canvas.
- Decent to really good food selection, especially given it’s just for guests.
- S’mores!

CONS:
- The shower works by holding down a chain. Let go and the water stops. The result is one handed hair washing. I got smart and tied my bathroom bag to the chain to keep the water on. The bag got wet but my shower was a lot easier. PS: The shower is one temperature. It was a tad too hot for me.
- Lots of families and young people. Everybody was generally respectful. However, not everybody is aware of how their voices carry as they crack up laughing and joke (I’m glad they were happy) past your tent at 9PM while baby is sleeping. I got to hear two siblings get out of a car yelling at each other over who got to hold the flashlight. It’s all normal stuff but something to be aware of if you have light sleepers. Hey, it’s still a tent, right.

SUGGESTIONS FOR A MORE LUXURY EXPERIENCE;
- Our tent had a zipper tear on both the front door and window so we couldn’t completely seal out bugs.
- Provide freshly laundered mats on each side of the bed to wipe of feet before getting into bed.
- Our tent was muddy in front of the door - get more rocks.
- Add more of a fence around the employee area (I can see bright red gas cans, blue water barrels, employees breaking by the fire…) and cover the tops/sides of all the propane tanks. It would feel so much nicer to have everything tucked away in a building or behind a fence. They do come really close to accomplishing this.
- The back stock for the souvenir area was bit well hidden and a little messy.
- The service golf carts needs to slow down. It’s unsettling to have them whizzing around.
- Water leaked under the walls of the common area tent and onto the floor in some areas.

Given how nit picky my CONS and Areas for Improvement are and how sweeping the positives are, this is really a great place.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank JH4321234
Reviewed 20 August 2021 via mobile

What a unique place! We loved our stay. We visited with another family (4 adults and 5 kids in all). We stayed in two tents that each had a smaller tent for the kids.

The location, food, accommodations and activities were all outstanding! The bed was incredibly comfortable and I really enjoyed the warm shower with the cool breeze coming in.

The only problem we had was that it was so hot during the day. Of course, there’s nothing Under Canvas could do about that. At night it would cool down and get chilly.

I will definitely recommend this place to my friends and family!

Trip type: Travelled solo
Tony Ford, General Manager at Under Canvas Mount Rushmore, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2021

Dear MinnesotaPat,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our survey. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff! We are very glad to know you were pleased with your overall stay. We look forward to hosting your stay once again and continuing to meet your expectations. Please feel free to contact me directly and it will be my pleasure to assist you if you have any questions or concerns.

Reviewed 17 August 2021

Our stay at Under Canvas was fun, unique & memorable. We had two young children who loved the tent and the scenery as well. The bathroom and large comfy bed was essential to making our stay comfortable and doable with the kids. I would recommend this to anybody, and am already looking at where we can do our next Under Canvas trip.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear emilypjolly,

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review! Your comments will be shared with our entire staff! We are very glad to know you were pleased with your overall stay and found the bed incredibly satisfying. We look forward to hosting your stay once again and continuing to meet your expectations no matter where your travels take you. Please feel free to contact me directly and it will be my pleasure to assist you if you have any questions or concerns.

Reviewed 15 August 2021

Amazing experience sleeping under the stars with a clean room, comfortable bed and your own bathroom in your tent. Highly recommend. You can see Mt Rushmore frim the outdoor dining area. Very special place.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear JR2Hale,

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review! Your comments will be shared with our entire staff! We are very glad to know you were pleased with your overall stay and found our view to be as breathtaking as we do. We look forward to hosting your stay once again and continuing to impress you in any and every way. Please feel free to contact me directly and it will be my pleasure to assist you if you have any questions or concerns.