All reviews four poster lounge bar cooked breakfast public rooms old style salmon comfortable hotel queen victoria full scottish following morning relaxed atmosphere pre dinner drinks bar meals brown toiletries spent two nights front of house period furniture
Reviewed 1 July 2018

A wonderful old hotel steeped in history with a beautiful restaurant serving fantastic food. There were 5 of us all having different starters and mains, we were all well satisfied with the food, its presentation, the service and the ambiance.

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

Our family of 5 adults spent a week in Comrie in June and had dinner in the restaurant 5 times. We were all blown away by the delicious food we had each time we went. Everything was so well presented and tasted amazing from the scallops wrapped in Parma ham to the calves liver and I have never had anyone turn a burger into such an enjoyable meal! And what they did with their chips- wow (I never thought I'd rave about chips But they need to be tried nd I'm not usually a fan of the chip!) I cant recommend the food here enough. I must mention the staff too - so attentive, polite and pleasant making the stay a thoroughly memorable one. Thank you

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 3 June 2018

I booked this hotel based on the Trip Adviser ratings, and frankly wasn't expecting too much. My work was based 12 miles away and I would not normally book such a small hotel by choice, but there was little availability left elsewhere.
I think this hotel has around eleven rooms which would make it not much more than a large guest house, and I expected the service to be not much more than 'Fawlty Towers.
Well, how wrong was I.
Arriving at the hotel I was pleasantly surprised at the ease of parking. After a 250+ mile journey it's important you don't get more stressed out finding the cheapest parking. I drove up to the hotel and parked right outside for free - a good start.
On entering the hotel I found a lovely cosy library type area on the left hand side, a bar/meeting room on the right, and reception straight ahead. The library area struck me as the ideal place to de-wind.
At reception, the lady was courteous, polite and very friendly. She booked me in within minutes and I was off up to my bedroom. She offered help with my baggage which was nice, but I declined having only one night-stay bag.
The room was warm, well ventilated, and fresh. The bed was comfortable and the sheets clean and well laundered. The bathroom was clean and modern and contained Molten Brown products that I didn't even get at some of the main stream chains.
I initially declined the evening meal option, but having discovered that the village has little in the way of food offerings I later decided to accept.
I chose Free range chicken with potatoes and veg, and I was not disappointed.
It came with a warning not to touch the plate, so ok, the meal was hot! It was perfectly cooked in all ways. I'm a slightly fussy eater and if something doesn't taste, smell, or look right then I won't eat it. But here, I finished the plate!
Retiring for the night, I decided to make use of the Molton Brown products and enjoyed a lovely hot bath.
I was surprised that the room rate included a cooked breakfast. The following morning I went down for breakfast, and being one that doesn't really have an appetite that early in the morning, I asked for a small cooked breakfast of bacon, egg, sausage and tomato.
It came with double everything that I really didn't feel I could finish, but I did. All items on the breakfast plate were cooked perfectly, unlike the most main stream hotels where you help your self to food that's been cooked an hour ago and kept moderately luke warm in those "bin" things.
I would thoroughly recommend this hotel for anyone needing to stay in the area. It's an excellent small hotel offering great food in a truly relaxed atmosphere.
A word of warning though - if you need a Spa, pool, gym, make-up room, Interactive TV system, personal masseur, your bed turning down at 7pm or your complimentary slippers laid out (yes, I've stayed at all of these types of hotels), then book yourself a city centre hotel - and pay the price.
You won't get any frills here, but you will get a genuine warm welcome and hotel accommodation you can't beat.
Lovely hotel, great accommodation, surprisingly low price.
Not only would I stay here again, next time I'll bring the wife!

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank Maguire-Rafferty
Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

We turned up later than expected and were welcomed by Stuart
Quiet and efficient and up to our “lovely” room
It was so pleasant to stay in a hotel that has real character .No boring design pieces that you see in boring new hotels where style displaces comfort
As we passed down the staircase which pleasantly creaked with their years of use we meandered past the stuffed eagle and proud stag,how Scottish
It was built in 1765 and exudes as a building the quiet confidence of its years
We had a drank at the bar excellent beer recommended by Stuart and played cards in comfy chairs
Off to bed and slept so well ina comfy bed surrounded by a huge curtain
The sun shone for us in the morning and we saw the incomparable glen in the background
What a start to the day !!!!!!
Down for breakfast with the lovely Sarah and Jill
Poached eggs,haddock toast coffe and mar made with toast
A perfect start to our brilliant and sparkling day
We loved the place and would definitely recommend go back
They were great
:-)

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jon D
Reviewed 28 April 2018

Delighted to return to The Royal Hotel in the heart of beautiful Comrie. Unfortunately, it was only for one night, will try and stay a wee bit longer next time. We were warmly welcomed back by the lovely, ever smiling Jolene on Reception. We have stayed about five or six times now over the last few years and have been allocated different rooms on each occasion. Each of them have all been extremely comfortable. Bathrobes and Molton Brown toiletries are suppled as well as a hospitality tray with home made biscuits. Our evening meal in the bar was delicious and the breakfast offers a good choice of hot food cooked to order. A great night’s sleep, all we heard was the sound of silence. Will most definitely return during the summer months. It is only about an hour and a quarter drive from Glasgow and you are in the heart of spectacular countryside. A stay at The Royal Hotel will certainly recharge your batteries.

Room tip: There are a few four poster bedded rooms with a fireplace. Some rooms face over the bridge and others to the side or back of hotel.
Date of stay: April 2018