All reviews lamb the pub leopard hills en provence paris room roman road fish and chips wine list well worth a visit steep stairs lovely food made us feel two night stay cooked breakfast friday night stayed one night lovely weekend
Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

We arrived wanting lunch but the welcome in the bar put us off immediately.
Five or six men in the bar all watching the racing on the large television and an atmosphere that made us feel very unwelcome.
We had a drink aware that the rest of the pub were listening to us - or it seemed that way. We didn't look at the menu as we felt so uncomfortable we couldn't wait to leave. I think this place is certainly a 'locals' pub and as I'm not local I won't be going back.
The food might be great but unless they make the atmosphere better it could put people off.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Niggy2
Reviewed 23 April 2018

Helpful staff in this lovely honey coloured stone traditional ancient Cotswold inn.
The single bed in our curiously named Paris en Provence room was a collapsible bed, smaller than standard size and very uncomfortable, but it was not shown as a temporary bed on the website (had it have been, we would not have booked the room). The double bed did not have a very thick mattress and was not that comfortable either, but maybe we are getting spoiled with memory foam mattresses.
We didn't mind the precipitous stair case - that's what comes with the characterful old building, but completely unsuitable for anyone not very steady on their feet. I suggest that the description of the two rooms leading off this staircase contain a warning. The room was scrupulously clean, but some of the landing/stairway carpets were seriously marked/stained.
Cooked breakfasts were generous and well above average, although some fruit at breakfast would have been welcome.
We enjoyed our dinner there, and excellent wines, and special congratulations to the chef who prepared the innovative cheese (savoury) panna cotta.
Lovely outside dining area.

Room Tip: Suggest do not rely on extra single beds in rooms
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2018

We have just returned from a nice two night stay at The Lamb Inn, Shipton under Wychwood. The inn is a beautiful looking old stone building with exposed beams. It has a reasonable size car park. It is located on the edge of the village with no local shops. The nearest shop is a Mace store located in the garage at the other end of the village, about a mile and half away. There may have been another, but we didn't see it.
The rooms have names rather than numbers, ours was called Roman Road. It wasn't a bad size, but unfortunately it is located directly above the downstairs bar and main entrance. As a consequence, we could hear the sound of people talking and laughing below and the front door closing regularly. I am a fairly light sleeper and found it difficult to sleep whilst the bar was open. I also like a late afternoon nap and I was disturbed the noise. This wouldn't apply to most people, but I thought I'd mention it as it would be a problem for some. I did ask the landlord if I could move and he was prepared to let me do so, but assured me that by late evening the bar would be quiet and too be fair, it was. So for those who don't get disturbed easily, you should be OK.
The bathroom in particular, was in need a of updating and shabby looking. The toilet seat needed replacing as it was cracked and tatty. The shower was good, nice and powerful. However, the shower head is positioned about 5'10" above me, but as I'm just under six feet tall, I had to bend down to get below it!
The Queen size bed was a comfortable and clean. As the room is located beside a little lane that's off the main road, there was little traffic noise.
The stairs leading up to the are quite steep, which might be more difficult to climb for some.
There is a choice of breakfasts and the food was good. We had dinner in the bar on the evening of our arrival, and it was lovely.
The cost of the room for B&B was £120 per night, which I thought was excessive, given the standard of the room. I think £80-90 per night would have been about the right price to be charging.
The overall appearance of the interior of the inn is tired and in need of updating. With an upgrade, this place could be superb, but until that is done, we won't be going back.

Room Tip: Light sleepers, avoid rooms directly above the bar area.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

We ate and drank here two nights running with friends after a trip to Cheltenham Races. Lovely food, good choice, great service from Charlotte. It’s a very quaint, authentic, Cotswold style pub, and unusually quiet especially on a Friday night. Might even try out one of the rooms and stay overnight here next time.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 February 2018

Warm and friendly local pub with excellent food made from first class ingredients. Staff were very helpful friendly and welcoming. Lovely quiet location in the village with plenty of off street parking. Visit the wild garden nearby.

Room Tip: Ideally not one above the bar but the bar closed fairy early so not a problem
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple