All reviews lamb the pub leopard hills en provence paris room roman road fish and chips wine list well worth a visit steep stairs lovely food made us feel two night stay cooked breakfast friday night stayed one night lovely weekend
Reviewed 19 April 2018

We have just returned from a nice two night stay at The Lamb Inn, Shipton under Wychwood. The inn is a beautiful looking old stone building with exposed beams. It has a reasonable size car park. It is located on the edge of the village with no local shops. The nearest shop is a Mace store located in the garage at the other end of the village, about a mile and half away. There may have been another, but we didn't see it.
The rooms have names rather than numbers, ours was called Roman Road. It wasn't a bad size, but unfortunately it is located directly above the downstairs bar and main entrance. As a consequence, we could hear the sound of people talking and laughing below and the front door closing regularly. I am a fairly light sleeper and found it difficult to sleep whilst the bar was open. I also like a late afternoon nap and I was disturbed the noise. This wouldn't apply to most people, but I thought I'd mention it as it would be a problem for some. I did ask the landlord if I could move and he was prepared to let me do so, but assured me that by late evening the bar would be quiet and too be fair, it was. So for those who don't get disturbed easily, you should be OK.
The bathroom in particular, was in need a of updating and shabby looking. The toilet seat needed replacing as it was cracked and tatty. The shower was good, nice and powerful. However, the shower head is positioned about 5'10" above me, but as I'm just under six feet tall, I had to bend down to get below it!
The Queen size bed was a comfortable and clean. As the room is located beside a little lane that's off the main road, there was little traffic noise.
The stairs leading up to the are quite steep, which might be more difficult to climb for some.
There is a choice of breakfasts and the food was good. We had dinner in the bar on the evening of our arrival, and it was lovely.
The cost of the room for B&B was £120 per night, which I thought was excessive, given the standard of the room. I think £80-90 per night would have been about the right price to be charging.
The overall appearance of the interior of the inn is tired and in need of updating. With an upgrade, this place could be superb, but until that is done, we won't be going back.

Room Tip: Light sleepers, avoid rooms directly above the bar area.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

We ate and drank here two nights running with friends after a trip to Cheltenham Races. Lovely food, good choice, great service from Charlotte. It’s a very quaint, authentic, Cotswold style pub, and unusually quiet especially on a Friday night. Might even try out one of the rooms and stay overnight here next time.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 February 2018

Warm and friendly local pub with excellent food made from first class ingredients. Staff were very helpful friendly and welcoming. Lovely quiet location in the village with plenty of off street parking. Visit the wild garden nearby.

Room Tip: Ideally not one above the bar but the bar closed fairy early so not a problem
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robert B
Reviewed 1 January 2018 via mobile

Spent 1 night while visiting family locally. The Paris room is a cosy wood beamed room, the bed is just about a double (cosy). Walls are a bit thin, could of done without listening to a neighbouring guests phone conversation at 0300. Breakfast was excellent. Scrambled eggs and smoked salmon....superb.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

The website really sells this lovely country pub, but I think the day after Boxing Day there chef had the night off
The service was impeccable but receiving my Calves Liver & Onions to realise everything had been microwaved was not good
Lumpy red-hot mash and liver with a soft jelly texture was very poor
My partners dish of Goats Cheese Panacotta would have been so much better if it had been taken out of the fridge and let get to room temperature before serving, as no taste at all when cold
Savoury may have been very poor the Homemade Apple & BlackBerry Pie was delicious
Such a pity