“Very dissapointing!”

Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 22 July 2012

My husband and i decided to go for a nice cup of tea and a pastry on returning from London.
We were bitterly dissapointed. The tea was served in THICK cups and the teapot was only half full of water thus making our Jasmine Green Tea far to strong! We could have sked for more water I know but the staff were busy talking amongst themselves.
The cakes- well what can I say. Well overpriced for the quality. I had a strawberry Tart- flavourless at £3.20 and my husband had the last of the Almond cake£2.90 which did not contain any almond at all. He said it was probably almond essence and very dry which he only ate half of.
I wanted to go to the ladies but when i looked it was up two lots of stairs so opted for the disabled loo on ground floor.
Will not return.

2  Thank janewoollcott

Reviewed 21 July 2012

Visited Belgique with a few friends on a lovely sunny day. We decided to give it a try as we knew it had outside seating,which didn't disappoint. Quite a varied menu. The waitress was very pleasant but seemed to have difficulty understanding what drinks we wanted as i ended up with a glass of wine i didn't order. Wrong type and wrong colour. I drank it though as it was quite nice and didn't want to complain. my friend ordered a smoothie which was also wrong but she drank it too. (we found it all quite amusing) then the chicken salad arrived,looked very nice but unfortunately had a sharp bone left in it, so my friend didn't finish her meal. The waitress asked the obligatory question,"is everything alright with your meal" we told her about the bone. She said sorry and walked off and that was the end of that!! I might go back again for a drink (hopefully the correct one next time) but probably not to eat. I have heard mixed reviews about this place,unfortunately most not so good. What a shame.

Reviewed 20 July 2012

I've had pretty fantastic experiences here.

GOOD: Friendly, knowledgeable staff; clean surroundings; bright & airy; great for kids and babies; really tasty selection of pastries & cakes.

NOT SO GOOD: Only negative I can think of is that the tins of French goodies on the bar are too tempting!!

Reviewed 2 July 2012

This is a fairly new Brasserie style restaurant which also sells pastries and cakes to take away. We eat a lunch here and have also tried their pastries. First the lunch. My wife's dish arrived with a hair in it which is always a bad start and asks you to question hygene standards. The meat in my dish tasted very processed and was on par with a supermarket's value range. Nothing to write home about at all. We would not return for the food. The service was average and the staff did not seem to really care about the hair in the food, in terms of offering a replacement or thinking it was particularly bad.

We also tried the pastries, they look good, but they fall so far short of what croissants, brioches and those continental style sweet items should be it is ridiculous. Lacking in flavour and greasy. Not worth it at all.

The upside is the decor and position with nice outside seating. But as you will not eat anything worthwhile I would not bother at all.

3  Thank Nick H
Reviewed 12 June 2012

The service was rubbish food was served in dribs and drabs. not all items mentioned on the menu were provided in the meal. On complaining the manager blamed the chef and took no responsibility,

2  Thank Desiree M