New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Top Notch Accommodations” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hawthorne Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Concord
Hawthorne Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Concord B&B and Inns
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Top Notch Accommodations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

My husband recently attended a weekend of business meetings in New York, and our 15 year old son and I tagged along for a mini vacay in the Big Apple. Being the history buffs we are and since my son was also on spring break the following week, we decided to visit the Concord area for a little sightseeing. We have never been to that part of the country before, and since we were so close, we thought "Why not?" A collegue of my husband recommended the Hawthorne B & B, and we were so glad we took his recommendation. We stayed for three nights and wish it could have been longer.

The inn is conveniently located to Concord, Lexington, Boston, Salem, etc. The innkeepers, Marilyn and Gregory, were the consummate hosts. I was astounded at how effortlessly they seemed to go about the business of running a 5-star inn, but when you stop to think they've been doing this for 35+ years, it's not surprising. They really love what they do, and it shows.

We stayed in the Alcott room which was very comfortable. The bed, pillows, and linens were fresh and sumptuous. The tub/shower combination was very satisfying, allowing for a relaxing soak after a day's sightseeing. We enjoyed chatting with the other guests in the afternoons and at breakfast each morning. We also really looked forward to the afternoon repast of tea or coffee and delicious snacks like homemade brownies or Chinese Chews. I'm telling you, the hosts really have this inn keeping thing down. Nothing store bought, everything fresh and wholesome. They even tap their own trees to make syrup and have THE BEST homemade granola we've ever tasted. We even tried to convince them to package it and sell it online.

Breakfast was amazing -- fresh brewed coffee or tea, fresh fruit, THE BEST homemade granola (or food for the gods I call it -- it's really that delicious) with yogurt or milk and then the main course. One morning was a to-die-for croissant french toast, the next, a yummy veggie omelet and the last, a delicious poached pear with marscapone and light-as-a-cloud pancakes (something between a pancake and a crepe but not as chewy or thin as crepes) -- food fit for royalty. Marilyn and Gregory were very generous with the afternoon indulgences and breakfast items, always offering second and even in some cases, third helpings of anything you desire.

We all loved (especially my son) to visit with the wonderful pets -- German Shepherds, Sky and Pashka and the resident house cat, Hector. The animals were very well behaved, extremely people-friendly, and were not allowed in the guest area unless requested by the guests. So if you have any allergies, don't worry, just inform Marilyn and Gregory, and they will see to it that the pets stay on their side of the Mason Dixon line (haha- a little southern humor there). I think the three things my son misses the most about our trip are Pashka, Hector, and THE BEST granola in the world. Sorry Marilyn and Gregory, he loves you too, but you know teenagers!!! :)

I could go on and on about the wonderful places where we visited, shopped, and ate, but then I'd be writing for the next hour or so. Marilyn and Gregory know so much about the history of the area and good places to eat, just ask them. But I will let you know the antique shops are very reasonably priced (unlike those here in Louisiana) and the wine and cheese and candy shops in town are fabulous. We even purchased wine, cheese and chocolates one day and had that for dinner, when we returned to the inn, that evening.

All in all, the inn is extremely well maintained, clean, classy, and a breath of fresh air and relaxation for serious travelors. Marilyn and Gregory are so accommodating. I'm sure after 35+ years, they've seen and heard it all. We didn't have any specific requests, but they seem like the kind of innkeepers that are more than willing to serve their guests in any way they can -- all you have to do is ask!!

Our ONLY regret is that we live so far away. We'd love to be able to visit and enjoy the Hawthorne Inn and the hospitality of Marilyn and Gregory more often.

Room Tip: Full descriptions of all the rooms are on their website (http://www.concordmass.com). Some upstairs...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank artsqueenbee
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Norwalk, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

We gambled on the Hawthorne Inn when we couldn't get into our regular Cambridge inn for our anniversary weekend. It surpassed all our expectations - kudos to our three hosts, Marilyn, Greg and Hector (the handsome inn cat). Marilyn and Greg are incredible cooks, Greg's art (almost everything you see) is wildly imaginative and professionally accomplished, and Hector has the wisdom to know whom to cuddle up to and whom to leave alone. The inn is clean, charming and hospitable, and a short walk or drive (in one case, across the street) from everything you'll want to see in Concord. We'll be back!

Room Tip: This was our first visit, and we have only experienced one room, Alcott, which was lovely. Very crea...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
dundeedog, Owner at Hawthorne Inn, responded to this review, 25 October 2012
Thank-you for such kind words. Alas, dear HectorCat, our unofficial 'greeter' has passed. No longer will he be meeting our guests at their cars and walking with them hoping for a good scratching!
We still have our elusive Hippocrates who is only ever seen in the distance due to lingering fear from his early days as a NYC street cat.
We hope to see you on your next anniversary....perhaps a week late in order to celebrate Patriot's Day, too.
NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

My wife and I just finished our 4th stay at the Hawthorne Inn. We love the history, particularly the literary history in this beautiful town. The Hawthorne Inn is as warm, friendly and cozy as could be. The owners are always welcoming, making you feel more like an invited friend than like a guest. They could not be more helpful with driving directions, recommendations for museums, outings, restaurants, even some valuable advice on raising kids (which we requested).

The Inn itself is marvelous and warm. Everything in the Inn is extremely neat, clean, and beautifully decorated. The 1870 Inn has a Victorian feel, with a an international flavor. There is so much to look at in every room, everything carefully chosen and arranged by the owners, reflecting their wide interests.
The location of the Inn is excellent - just across the street from Hawthorne's Wayside home, and a few doors up from the Alcott's Orchard House.
The Hawthorne Inn is a good bargain, the breakfast is terrific, the location is great, the decor is fun and cozy, and the innkeepers are extremely warm and helpful. I can't recommend the Hawthorne Inn highly enough, just staying there is as much a treat as all the great historical sites in town. We hope to stay there many more times (small children permitting).

Room Tip: I've seen just about all of the rooms and they are all fun and unique (and named after Concord h...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RonShaffer
dundeedog, Owner at Hawthorne Inn, responded to this review, 31 March 2012
What sustains us as Innkeepers are the long lasting relationships we develope with our returning guests. Your visits have brightened our days and we are honored to see you grow in your relationship from Newlyweds to New parents. We so look forward to meeting your children and having them choose a gift from our "goodie" basket and seeing their delight in our "secret hiding place" under the steps. Be Well and Many Blessings! M & G
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

This was my second stay at the Hawthorne Inn and I just loved it again! From the minute I walked in, the owners, Marilyn and Greg, treated me so graciously. They were so nice to offer me a lovely fresh juice when I came in as I had had a rough journey that day and was parched. The first time I was there, I stayed in the Alcott room, which is my personal favorite. This time I stayed in another equally lovely room (I forget the name though!). The Alcott is spacious and has a gorgeous antique wooden poster bed. The bedspread is an elegant gold satin color. Both times I have stayed, the linens have been super immaculate and so comfy (nice high thread count for those of you who take your sheets seriously like I do!) I really loved the decor in both bathrooms - simple, but welcoming, with sumptuous thick towels. The Inn is very quiet, so no worries there. There is a lovely sitting room in the front of the house. A fire was lit and some other guests from Australia and I enjoyed chatting in front of the fire. This is a great place to just hang out and read a book too.
Breakfast was wonderful. They have amazing coffee (not sure what makes it so good!?) and it is served with a smile by the owners. The offered fresh squeezed orange or grapefruit juice as well as other juices. And first they serve you something healthy-ish - perhaps fruit and/or yogurt and granola. I asked for just fruit and and everything was very fresh and delicious. Then comes the hot meal. I had an omelet with vegetables and cheese. So yummy! And they will even work around dietary restrictions as one of the other guests at the table couldn't eat peppers, so Greg made hers without any. There are special breads too with amazing jam.
On my departure, Marilyn and Greg were very efficient and helpful with directions. They are there in a heartbeat to help with anything you need.
In summary, I really feel like it is just a home away from home and I can't wait to go back and visit again soon. By the way, I stay in a lot of Bed and Breakfasts, and this is my favorite. It is very charming, super clean, and has great breakfasts and fabulous service from the delightful owners and has just the right amount of eclectic to make it interesting. What more could you ask for? The photos on Tripadvisor just don't do it justice at all....

Room Tip: Sometimes if you are extra lucky, Marilyn might let you pick a room if she has a few free. This is r...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Momof2teensNyc
dundeedog, Owner at Hawthorne Inn, responded to this review, 31 March 2012
It was a pleasure sharing food and drink and conversation with D.! Thank-you!
Southbridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

My husband and I were looking for something extra special for our quick honeymoon and historic Concord was some place we had each wanted to visit for years. We didn't want to stay at a typical "chain" hotel so the Hawthorne was just what we were looking for.

Gregory and Marilyn were very gracious hosts; when we checked in, Gregory took the time to sit down with us and go over the local map to show us where some of the more favorite eating spots were in town and also some of the historical places we shouldn't miss. Gregory also has some wonderful artwork that he created on display throughout the house and although I didn't see them for myself, I know that Marilyn has some hand crafted quilts decorating some of the beds in the Inn.

Hector the cat was usually around to greet us and we were honored by the company of Pashka the German Shepherd at breakfast. Gregory and Marilyn also have another cat and another German Shepherd that live with them as well.

Marilyn prepared the most delicious breakfast for us; she served us home made fruit salad and home made granola with strawberry yogurt. Next came French toast made from...are you ready for this?...CROISSANTS!!!!!! It was absolutely fabulous!!! Marilyn also took the time to sit down and visit with us during our leisurely breakfast.

We stayed int he Emerson room; it was very comfortable and decorated with the perfect mix of antique furniture and Oriental art...we didn't get to use the fireplace alas, but it didn't make our stay any less romantic.

The Inn is located but a short walk from the center of town and some of the historical sites as well but is situated on a quiet road so there is not a lot of traffic noise from traffic.

We would definitely recommend the Hawthorne Inn to our friends that are looking for something way above average in a place to stay and we would defintely return to stay with Marilyn and Gregory again; this time we would even bring our 8 year old daughter as they are very accomodating to families and the Inn is very kid friendly.

If you stay at the Inn, don't forget to record your experiences in the journal that is left in each room. I couldn't say enough about it and took up almost two whole pages and it was nice to see what other people had to say about their trips as well.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SqueakyGirl
dundeedog, Owner at Hawthorne Inn, responded to this review, 31 March 2012
It's great to get up in the morning and sit at breakfast with our guests and know that they are happy! Thank-you for staying with us after your marriage; the Orchard House beckons your daughter and I know that our dogs, Paska & Sky, would love to have her throw the frisbee for them. Many Blessing! M & G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Concord
1.4 km away
6.2 km away
Element Lexington
Element Lexington
#2 of 4 in Lexington

Been to Hawthorne Inn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK