The moment you are greeted at La Almunia del Valle by the eloquent and gracious owner, Patricia, you know you made the right choice. This is one of the best private hotels I have ever stayed in and would welcome the opportunity to return again and again.
With only 10 rooms in an almost rural location, you could be fooled into thinking you are staying at a bed and breakfast, but, as the Patricia points out, this truly is a boutique hotel at the foot of the Sierra Nevada. Tastefully designed modern rooms, with choice of bathrooms products that puts my own bathroom to shame, a wonderfully comfortable bed, and a breathtaking view across the valley mean whatever room you get, you will be staying in comfort and style. In fact, every little thing has been thought of, with your choice of music in the living room, a huge array of coffee table and reading books (with a small selection even provided in your room), tourism guides aplenty, a swimming pool and a peaceful terrace to start or end your day on.
To top this all off, and this was the most surprising, was the food primarily chosen and cooked by Patricia herself. Hands down the best food I tasted on my trip to Spain, the chefs menu for both of the days I stayed was sublime, generous and mouth-wateringly great. The five course dinner was accompanied by a fabulous wine choice, and on both nights I stayed I retired to bed happily (and not uncomfortably) stuffed. Breakfast was equally tasty, offering a wide choice of cheese, meats, fruits, cereAas, pastries, eggs and crunchy home made bread, accompanied by steaming and more-ish coffee and freshly-squeezed orange juice.
The only downside of La Almunia is the slightly intimidating drive from the village of Monachil up to the hotel (a GPS locator would be useful), but that is soon forgotten once you arrive in this special hillside retreat, and this should not deter anyone from staying here.
The hotel is within easy drive of Granada, the hill towns of the Sierra Nevada and is only 1 1/4 hours to the beach. Essentially, a perfect location!
Thank you to Patricia, her husband and all of the staff who looked after us so well. For someone who travels around the world for a living, you made sure that traveling during my time off from work was spent in style.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Almunia del Valle is a boutique charm hotel situated in one of the most beautiful spots in the Sierra Nevada Natural Park located in the municipality of Monachil, Granada, Andalucía. At just 8 kilometers form downtown Granada, the hotel gives the visitor the luxury to be able to enjoy a natural setting of the valley, surrounded by the high picks, and crossed by the river that gives its name to the village Monachil where light and silence claim our senses. The owners Jose Manuel Plana & Patricia Merino supervise daily and personally every detail, the high level of attention given to our guest by the hotel staff makes the stay in La Almunia an unforgettable experience ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com and Expedia so you can book your La Almunia del Valle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Almunia Del Valle Hotel Monachil
- La Almunia Del Valle Monachil
- La Almunia Del Valle Province Of Granada/Monachil