“Less Impressed” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #62 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
New England
“Less Impressed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2012

I stayed here two years ago and was blown away by the condition and service, so I was looking forward to my next stay. I was a bit let down.

It all started off on the wrong foot when there was trouble with my credit card at check-in. It took me 30 minutes to check in because the staff had to go through the stolen credit card protocal. I understood that it was just what they had to do, but when I was finally able to check in, I called my credit card company and they said there were no issues with my card, so the problem must have been on the hotel's end. Again, they were just following procedure, but looking back, it was pretty annoying that I had to wait all that time because of a glitch in the hotel's system.

Anyway, the hotel's condition was fine, but I agree with another reviewer that the hotel seems to be trying too hard. For example, when you get in the elevator...excuse me, lift...there's a "Top 10 things we love" list on the doors. Number 1 is "You." I rolled my eyes...it was like a 12 year old girl wrote the list.

I actually like the room layout and bathroom setup, but I realize it's not for everyone. I ordered room service, and it was tasty and came on time. The bed was comfortable and I was able to get work done. There was, however, an old bon-bon on a shelf below one of the tables. Not attractive.

In all, it's still a nice property, but I didn't have the best visit this time.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
WBuckheadManager, General Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
meprice82 - Thank you for your review and returning to W Atlanta - Buckhead. I'm sorry to learn this most recent visit was not as stellar as the first. I'm glad however, to hear you enjoyed several aspects of the property including room layout and in room dining, but I will share your comments (as we do with every review) to ensure that every inspection is a thorough one and service remains a top priority. I hope we'll see you again for a third visit (and more) so that we can deliver more experiences that liken your first with us.

Thank you again.

All the Best
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Korean first
Atlanta, GA.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012 via mobile

Common areas are great. Rooms are lousy. Lots of chipped paint, dirty carpet and water damage wallpaper. The rooms are also extremely small.

I love W hotels and stay in them all the time. This one is just beat.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JasonAtlanta_GA_
WBuckheadManager, General Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this review, 15 September 2012
JasonAtlanta_GA_ - Thanks so much for your review and loyalty to W Hotels Worldwide. I'm glad you enjoyed our public areas (and hopefully service throughout your stay as well). We take feedback very seriously and have developed many internal committees based on it, one of which is dedicated to room (and hallway) condition, in addition to the constant vigilance of our engineering team. Please know that we're "on the case" and hope to have you visit again with us soon. Thanks again.

Kentucky
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012

It was "retro-chic" and seemed like it was trying too hard. The rooms were decorated in what was supposed to be the '60's, but really seemed somewhat cheap in furnishings quality. The bathroom was one of the worst - the first room had the sink in the bedroom and a glass door to the toilet / shower, and the second room we were placed in had the sink in the bathroom but a glass window to the room & a glass door.

There is a popular bar on the top of the hotel so we were awakened 3 times during the night (latest was 5:30 a.m.) to revelers making their way back to their room. Parking is valet (a must) at $32.00 a night (is this Beverly Hills?). I stayed at more comfortable Hilton Garden Inns - if small is chic, then the rooms in this place are extremely fashionable.

We had been at the Westin next door earlier in the week and found the rooms & bathrooms MUCH larger, self-park an option, and overall, a much better experience.

Room Tip: I was told that the higher floors are set aside for the "party" and late-night crowd. Be...
Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MarkClark97
WBuckheadManager, General Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
MarkClark97 - Thank you for your review. We take all reviews and feedback very seriously and I sincerely appreciate your candor. I will share your comments with the team for review and ensure we are not only fully disclosing our parking options upon arrival and constantly patrolling our public spaces but also discussing room types and preferences upon check in to meet and exceed guest expectations.

Thank you again for your time and we hope you'll revisit us again in the future.

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

We had a great experience. They definitely took care of us. I would recommend it to anyone who any who wants to have a good time. Our hostess (Nicole) was amazing and the waitress (Monique) was even better. We celebrated my friend's birthday and had no regrets the entire night. The atmosphere is great for mingling as well as having fun. If you are going to Whiskey Blue any time soon, make sure you are prepared to have a great time!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Campbell W - Thank you so much for your review of our rooftop destination bar, Whiskey Blue!! I'm thrilled to hear that your birthday celebration went without a hitch and you have Nicole and Monique to thank for it! I look forward to sharing this with them and the entire WB team. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

This hotel was very interesting. It almost had a "Mad Men" feel to it. Very retro '60s decor. The staff was very friendly and the bed was very comfortable. The only thing that I was not impressed with was the fact that the bar had a very limited selection of beers, and the bathroom in our room was TINY with only a sliding door to separate you from the rest of the room (including your travel companions). Overall, this was nice, but I will try the Westin next door to see how I like it next time.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WBuckheadManager, General Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
Tgarick - Thank you for your review. We really appreciate your feedback and any Don Draper references, so thanks again! I'm thrilled you enjoyed the decor, W signature beds and service. I do hope that you'll give us another try for your next Atlanta visit though, as we do offer other bathroom layouts and our Whatever/Whenever staff is at the ready for any brew-centered requests!

See you soon!