“Great location and convenient to GWCC - a good experience!”

Omni Atlanta Hotel at CNN Center
Ranked #48 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
NW Illinois
“Great location and convenient to GWCC - a good experience!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2010

This is right downtown - next to Georgia World Conference Center where I attended a conference. I rented a car but regret that I did. I could walk to the GWCC, local restaurants (try STATS). the Aquarium, Olympic park and others. Valet parking was available ($30 a day) but I used the public lot at GWCC for $8 per day. Rooms were spacious and clean. Try to get a room with a view of downtown. My room overlooked CNN Center atrium and was noisy for a period at night when housekeeping dragged tables around to clean floors. Others that I know had beatiful views from their rooms overlooking downtown Atlanta. I didn't ask for a different room. My suite was spacious and I appreciated the space for paper work. Also, join the Omni "Select Guest" program to get coffee and a light breakfast delivered to your room each morning. This also gets you free wi-fi in your room. Membership is free and definitely worth it. Otherwise the CNN Center has a variety of choices for food, coffee and gifts. Overall, this is a great convenient spot. I would go again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (651)
  • Korean first
Madison
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2010

I stayed here for a conference on-site and due to the heavy traffic of the area (think NYC), opted to stay on-site and not research any nearby hotels. No doubt this is a nice hotel and relfects Omni quality in decor and maintenance. The fitness center is nice, as is the pool. The immediate area is also surprisingly runner-friendly in the early morning. The location is very convenient for conferences, but it seems the hotel takes every advantage in price gouging. Daily parking is $30, and you will be charged $6 if you drink the 1-liter bottle of water placed by the bedside. God help your credit card if you break the seal on the minibar. These things are expected in nicer hotels, but the $6 water did seem a bit cheesy when placed where someone might unwittingly drink it. My biggest complaint of this stay was the inability to control the thermostat in the room or open windows. The outside temp was in the 80s (a bit unseasonably warm) and the inside temp was close to that, and stuffy. Since the only things on the bed are a nice warm duvet and a bedspread, I was forced to sleep uncovered, and still slept horribly. The poor sleep definitely discolored my opinion of this hotel. If I had to do it over again, I would have stayed at the very nearby Holiday Inn or the Hampton Inn a few blocks away and just walked to the conference. Certainly not as high-brow, but they offer better sleep, free breakfast... and free water.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank A_Biz_Trvlr
Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2010

My family & I had an event at Phillips Arena that we went to and the hotel is connected. You have to use valet parking which is $30 a day and internet is $9.95 a day. We were greeted at the door and the receptionist was exceptionally nice. The hotel is in a great location to the Georgia Aquarium & Coke Museum. The food court is also located inside the CNN Center so you always have something different to eat. The view of Olympic Centennial Park is beautiful. If you want convenience & location I recommend this hotel but expect the high prices.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank erpayne
Management100, Manager at Omni Atlanta Hotel at CNN Center, responded to this review, 3 May 2010
Thank you for your review of your recent stay. Please know that Wi-Fi is free for Omni Select Guest and it costs nothing to join. Also, in our vicinity parking is a premium and all luxury hotels must charge for parking. We apologize if this came as a surprise to you, as it is listed on the confirmation that we send out. We are delighted that you recommend the Omni Hotel at CNN Center. We welcome you back in the future!
Santa Monica, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2010

In 20 years of traveling on business, this was one of my worst hotel experiences to-date. I arrive and my room on the top floor was awaiting me. It overlooked Olympic park which would normally be a good thing. However, there was a band playing, and playing and playing. It was endless and you could hear everything through the windows. The last thing a tired traveler wants is noise! And if it weren't bad enough that the band was loud, so were the hallways. Noisy, noisy, noisy. Next, my room smelled like pee. At first I thought it was my imagination, then I looked at the ottoman which was stained. Clearly, a child or dog or something had peed on it. I ignored it for night one, not wanting to be a pain, but by morning I was nauseated. If that weren't enough, I go to make myself a cup of coffee and take the lid off the cardboard cup, groggily pour in my cream to ready my coffee and it is 1/3 filled with hair. Yes, that's right, human hair. Not one strand, a bunch. As though someone had put the hair in there as a joke and then put the lid on the cup. Now I was really grossed out. So I asked to change rooms. The house-keeping manager came up, barely apologized about the hair, just kind of looked at it and then moved me to a new room. The carpets and the wallpaper in the "new" room were stained. This is a very dirty hotel folks. To make up for the hair, guest services put out a platter of cheese and crackers, fruit and bottled water for me while I was at my conference. Normally, this would have been a nice gesture. Only they left it out, all day, unwrapped and unrefrigerated. By the time I got back, the cheese was smelly, sweaty and turning dark and crusty on the edges. Ewwwww.

The conference rooms weren't much better. To move from conference session to session, you have to travel multiple floors. And if you need to use a restroom, they only have them on every other floor (1st and 3rd, none on 2nd or 4th). You'd think with at least two conferences of more than 1,500 attendees each, that they'd staff up the hotel. Nope. Had to wait online for coffee, and for valet, and for luggage check. There never seemed to be anyone at the desk upon first arrival.

Add to that the fact that there is only one restaurant and one bar in a huge hotel, and the room service and restaurant menu's are nearly identical, so very little choice of foods over several days (unless of course you eat at a local restaurant).

Lastly, when checking out and asking to have my bags checked, you have to check out in the south tower, but the valet and luggage check are in the north tower. The front desk person did not even offer to have my luggage brought to the north tower for me. I had to check out, then schelp 4 floors and another building to wait at an empty desk to check my luggage.

I was nearly insane by the time I left. I will NEVER stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank DivineGoddess777
We are deeply regretful in reading your review. We sincerely apologize that you did not have a good experience at the Omni Hotel at CNN Center. Your stay with us was not ideal, but we hope you will consider staying with us again and allow us the opportunity to regain your trust.
Bancroft
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2010

A colleague and I stayed at the Omni for a conference. The hotel is nice with a great location. We stayed in the South tower with a balcony overlooking Centennial park. I was surprised that even on the 8th floor you could still hear the activity from the street below. It wasn't loud enough to disrupt our sleep but still noticeable. I would recommend that anyone planning to stay here join the Omni club program. You get free internet and coffee or juice delivered when you want in the morning. One side note if you don't like Coke products you will have a difficult time finding a selection of other soda's. We didn't run into many beggers as other people have commented. The food court is good but closes fairly early and wasn't open when we left this morning around 8:30am. There isn't much for shopping in the area other than the Underground which is a good 15 minute walk. The beds are very hard but acceptable.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank momtryingtoplan
Thank you for choosing the Omni Hotel at CNN Center. We appreciate your comments about our hotel and we look forward to you staying with us again.