“Seriously? Sushi this good in ATL?”
Review of Sushi Yoshino

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Sushi Yoshino
Ranked #2,197 of 4,038 Restaurants in Atlanta
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 10 March 2016

Answer: yes. Sure, there is a wide range of views on what constitutes good sushi but as among the sushi affecionados in ATL I may be among the more experienced given that I have had the opportunity to experience a couple of Michelin starred sushi restaurants in Tokyo -- see my reviews of Kanda and Ginza Koju. Given all that, what really matters about sushi? The freshness of the fish (easily controlled), the quality of the fish (this is where science becomes art because the chef must buy the right fish -- yes, I have been to the Tosjiki Market) and the presentation (which is all art -- the skill of the sushi chef). Sushi Yoshino has a truly talented sushi chef who will give Taka and Tomo, who I think are very talented but pricey, a run for their/our money. The presentation is simply superb! Now, forewarned is forearmed -- they have one sushi chef and as their reputation is growing so is the wait. While I have always been able to get a table by just walking in the door, the last two times I have been there (in the last 10 days) the time lag between the appetizers and the main event has been about 20 - 30 mins. But it is worth the wait. This is where food becomes art -- for a few minutes -- and then food again. The wait staff is always happy to help but is generally clueless (somewhat comical) and very challenged when it comes to the wine list (which is limited in depth but does cover the spectrum of whites and reds). Somewhat comical watching them (yes, them -- took two) open a bottle of reisling. The appetizers are decent (try the Hamachi jalepeno). But you will not be disappointed in the main event. I would encourage you to get there quickly because this guy is going to figure it out pretty soon and will either move the price points to challenge Tomo and Taka or will be recruited to join one of their teams. Stunning, surprising, spectacular.

Reviewed 9 August 2015

Admittedly, takeout is not a fair representation of a restaurant's capabilities, particularly a Japanese restaurant. We ordered a sushi and a sashimi bento box. The portions were generous, particularly the sashimi. They came with a choice of white or fried rice, edamame and a salad or soup. We chose the salad, and it was not special, but it was fresh. Sushi and sashimi were fresh. The fried rice was good. Oh, and there was an egg roll, but is was soggy...ergo the problem with takeout. I just don't think they can send out a crisp egg roll, so maybe the menu should be altered a bit. All it all, I would not hesitate to give them another try and dine in.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

I live literally a block from here, so we find ourselves walking here quite a bit.
We sit at the sushi bar, and eat mostly sushi rolls, but some nigiri and sashimi.
Quality for the dollar matches up and the service is always on point.
We will be certainly return again and again.

Reviewed 15 November 2012

Live down the street and head there about once a week. Never fails to impress me.

High quality food at a reasonable price with staff that learn your name

Been to Sushi Yoshino? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK