“Comfortable - but needs a price reality check”

Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel
Ranked #18 of 171 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Clifton, VA
“Comfortable - but needs a price reality check”
Reviewed 15 March 2012

There was a bit of confusion when I checked in. As a business traveler I always request a king size bed. However, somehow here the word request and confirmed have two different meanings. While they confirmed my reservation they said that it had been put through as a standard size bed but the king room would be $20 more. Ok, I'd rather spend more to be comfortable so I went for it. However, this really shouldn't have happened. To their credit they did throw in free internet in the upgrade so it was a wash.
The location is excellent as there are many restaurants within walking distance. The rooms are comfortable and certainly my King bed turned out to be the right choice.
My main complaint is their parking situation. They offer valet parking only for $20 per night. So that means if you need your car a couple of times then you wind up tipping the valet each time. I'm not a cheap person but I am very capable of parking my car myself and like the freedom of getting it whenever I like instead of calling down for it or standing and waiting while the valet fetches my car. I also have a personal pet peeve of hotels that charge travelers more than a nominal fee for parking or internet service. These items should be included in the room charge instead of tack-ons at check in time.
Still, the quality and comfort of this hotel is good and if you are on business travel you will have a comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Make sure to book and confirm a KING bed rather than just request it in the reservation.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
mark_castriota, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Good morning and thank you for sharing your experience here at the Renaissance Atlanta Midtown. I was disappointed to hear that your arrival experience was less than fantastic, but of course pleased to hear that the staff recovered and that overall you enjoyed your stay. Also, I appreciate your positive comments regarding the comfort, quality and location of the hotel. As you can imagine, it is difficult to offer self parking in urban "in-town" locations. That is simply not an option for us--our garage is quite small and with one way streets it would be extremely difficult for our guests to utilize. While I can understand your perspective regarding pricing for parking, we do competitive surveys often and actually find that we are priced lower than the "downtown" Atlanta hotels. I certainly understand that it would be easier to access your car without valet services but we simply don't have the capacity to offer that option. I look forward to your return visit to Atlanta and once again thank for sharing your thoughts.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 5 March 2012

This is a very nice hotel, very clean & nice, staff always in good mood and willing to help, location is good. I think in 2012 Internet sevices should be included in your daily rate but here is not the case, I came here because my Global EMBA university arranged for some business visits in Atlanta and I have internet service included as a package for 70 students, but this is not the rule. The issue is about parking, there is no free parking for this hotel, there is a valet who will charge you $30 per day plus the tip for the driver so if you are planning to stay here for more than 5 o 6 days your parking fare can go even higher than a night of stay,for a hotel this big they should figure out how to solve this parking issue, but in the other side if you are not planning to rent a car you can come and go using MARTA (Atlanta subway system) which has a station two blocks away from the hotel, and you can take MARTA even from the Atlanta Airport.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
mark_castriota, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Thanks so much for taking time to post your favorable comments about the hotel on Trip Advisor. We appreciate and monitor all feedback sharing the positive with our team and working diligently to resolve any issues that arise. With regard to your parking concerns, we charge what the Midtown Atlanta market charges, in fact the Downtown market is $32 per night. We realize that this charge can be percieved as excessive and in any densely populated urban area, I find parking charges to be growing. I do thank you for your comments and I hope your visit to the United States and Atlanta in particular was pleasant. We look forward to your return visit.

Discover something new today...
New York City, USA
Reviewed 1 March 2012

After a weary trip I had a pleasant welcome by the Renaissance staff. The stylish lobby, accented by a beautiful saltwater fish tank, seemed to predict an exceptional stay. Sure enough my room was enormous, well lit, and extremely quiet. I don't usually rave about bathroom fixtures, but they were superb. Mind you, the space was designed for a disabled customer, and I'm not sure if the standard rooms are as generous.

Three issues would soon mar the experience. One, a $15 per day charge for internet access (and relatively slow access at that) is absurd in this day and age. Two, something I've never encountered before, the hot water wasn't all that hot! Three, and most troubling, the room was not cleaned properly. I found a small candy wrapper on the chair, another wrapper close to the bed, and body hair on the bathroom floor. Gross.

When I told the staff about my experience at checkout, they sprang into action. The Internet charge was waved, and I was given a free ride in their shuttle to my morning meeting. They made sure I left a satisfied customer.

For a business trip, I much prefer the airy Renaissance to the dark and cramped W Hotel down the road. (It surprises me to say this, as I think of myself as a W hotel sort of guy.) I'll assume the housekeeping issues were just a fluke and give the Renaissance another go the next time I'm in Atlanta -- keeping in mind to add $15 a night to the room rate!

2 Thank gridskipper
Good afternoon and thank you for your comments. I was thrilled to hear how our staff "sprang to action" to address your concerns. I do apologize that you had some housekeeping issues. I reviewed this with our Housekeeping leadership team (I do weekly room inpspections) to reiterate the importance of a clean, spotless room. I did look into the "hot water" issue as well and found this to be an isolated situtation. I was very pleased to hear that you preferred our hotel to the W --we are very proud of our hotel. I'm sure you have heard the response regarding internet access charges in full service hotels, we do have higher security levels and most times much higher speed than the "free" locations and I think one day we will see hotels move to a free structure--I have asked our HSIA provider to check but we rarely hear comments with regard to speed--almost always it is a cost issue. At any rate, I was thrilled to receive your comments--thanks for taking the time to do so.

Discover something new today....
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 25 February 2012

The Renaissance Hotel is located just steps from Georgia Tech. I stayed here because I was attending a meeting at the GA Tech Conference Center, which is a short walk from the Renaissance. The hotel staff was extremely friendly, the rooms clean and modern, the lobby a lively gathering place during their evening happy hour. One word of caution --- the gym at the hotel is small. I arrived at 5:30 am and had my choice of machines, but by 6:00 am, it was completely full and several people came and then returned to their rooms because of the lack of treadmill/elliptical/bike/weights availability. If you are an early-morning workout fan, my advice is to arrive well before 6:00 am.

Room Tip: My corner room had a nice view of the city
Augusta
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I can't say enough about my stay at the Renaissance Midtown. The staff was courteous and professional. The bed was a dream. I really enjoyed the iHome system and the dimmers on the lights. It was great to be able to turn the lights down, listen to some jazz and relax after a night out. My only complaint and it is very minor, is the mini bar was locked when I checked-in. I'm sure if I would have called the front-desk they would have been right up to unlock it.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor to avoid traffic noise.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Jeremy S
RenMidtownGM, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Good afternoon,

I was delighted to read your review and was so happy to hear that you found the hotel to be fabulous as well as the staff. Our team is very proud, we share all of our Trip Advisor reviews; and we appreciate that you took the time to post your experience.

We look forward to welcoming you the next time you travel to Atlanta.

Discover something new today....