“Not worth the money” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #137 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Augusta, Georgia
“Not worth the money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

A friend and I visited Atlanta for a concert and we wanted something as close to the venue as possible. So we chose this location. However, we could have chosen others but thought it was a fairly decent choice but was wrong. A basic room was 189 plus tax so we just opted to get the aquarium package that included free hotel valet, two aquarium tickets and breakfast buffet for 2. This only added 70 dollars extra which is a pretty decent deal when you break it down. The disappointment was mainly the lack of anything with the hotel. It was very plain and had no extra amenities. No refrigerator, no safe, and a terrible view. The ATM in the lobby also did not work. Loved the two minute walk but for the same price we could have stayed at the Ritz and gotten the same package deal with so many more exciting things to talk about, see, and do. I would have paid for the taxi fair to the venue. The staff was friendly however it just wasn't worth the money. They really need to do something to stay ahead of the competition in downtown Atlanta.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view. I never thought about it and I was stuck looking at the roof. Also che...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I am delighted that your interactions with our staff were positive, and you found our location convenient. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our hotel for our guests and in addition to the many upgrades we will be making in 2012 we have additional plans for 2013. I am delighted to report that we have completed a renovation on all our 50 balconies, we are currently conducting a full renovation of our pool area opening on Memorial Day Weekend, and our new In-Room Safes arrive and will be installed in May.
We appreciate your input and use this to help with the direction of our efforts. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me if you would like to discuss your stay in more detail or if I can be of further service

Mark Gallagher
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
St. Augustine FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

I booked a junior suite for four nights for a business trip. When I checked everything went smooth. I then went to my room and found that it was just a normal room, even though I paid for a suite.

Going back to the main desk I was informed they had no suites that evening and they would move me to one the next day. Since I was here on business I really didn't have time for a move.

Also since I stay at Marriott properties over 80+ nights a year, I am supposed to be guaranteed the room I book.

After spending about 20 minutes, trying to get my room straightened out, they told me they would put me up in the presidential suite. The only negative was that once again I would have to move on the third day. I decided to take the room and took my luggage to my room.

The presidential suite is huge, but it is also very old and one of the few rooms that have not been upgraded. I will attach photos in a few days.

On the third day I moved into a Junior suite, which was a nice room and had been updated.

Overall my stay was ok, the staff was friendly and did their best.

Next time I will most likely staff at the Hilton.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay at the Atlanta Marriott Downtown. Our staff values feedback from our guests, as it helps us improve our products and services. I am very sorry that we did not have the room your type available for the first night of your stay, and I’m very disappointed that this was not communicated to you, and that you had to follow up with my team, instead of the other way round. The presidential suite as you noted was one of three rooms that did not get renovated in 2007; it is slated for early 2013. I would like to assure you that this is not a typical experience and your comments have been shared with our operations team for follow up. Thank you for the kind words about our friendly staff. We hope you'll give us another try in the future.

Dallas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

I am a Marriott guy. Platinum for many years. First I need to say that most of the staff at this hotel are some of the best in my years of travel. This hotel is a full service Marriott and priced accordingly. That all being said, in my opinion this is the worst Marriott property I have ever encountered. Arrived midafternoon on a Monday and was told there were no rooms on the concierge floor or suites left. When I asked if everyone was checked in already (these rooms are offered to Platinum members on a first come first serve basis) the reply was no but the room I was getting was just as good. I assume they were holding those rooms for regulars, I am okay with that. When I inquired about the amenities in the room I was offered I was assured everything I suggested was there. In reality nothing I requested was there. The room was tiny, the bathroom was terrible (see photos) when we turned down the bed to go to sleep, my wife found paper and contact lenses between the sheets. We called the manager and requested housekeeping to remake the bed and demanded to be moved to another Marriott property the next day. No housekeeping on duty in the evening. The manager offered us the presidential suite, wait, I thought there we no suites left!!! He sent the bellman to help us. We got settled in sometime after 1:30 AM. The presidential suite was less than presidential and in my opinion should be an embarrassment to the Marriott Corporation. Separate bedroom, peeling wallpaper, stained carpet and not a drawer to put our unpacked belonging. I’m not kidding, no drawers, and no dresser nothing but the night stands. The restaurant was never opened in the evening, you had to eat in the bar, and the food was not good….. I could go on but I will stop here. My suggestion is to pick another hotel. I will next time.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank MikecDallas
Thanks for taking the time to write about your recent experience and please accept my most sincere apologies that your stay was not satisfactory. I am delighted that we had the opportunity to speak this week so I could hear your commentary firsthand and come up with an acceptable resolution.
As I mentioned when we spoke, the floor that you were staying on is currently slated for renovation in early 2013. In spite of the fact that the room you stayed in was dated, there is no excuse that can be made for poor cleanliness and I want to assure you again that we have addressed the concerns you raised.

Thanks again for taking the time to write and please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally if I can be of further service.

Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

This location was very convenient to the World Congress Center where a small group of us were attending a conference. Also convenient to shopping and restaurants as well. The room although a little small was very comfortable and clean. The staff was very courteous, although there were some problems with communication. We pre-ordered a refrigerator, but it was not there when we checked in, but they brought it within 45 minutes. We checked in on a Friday afternoon. Sat when I returned to the room at dinnertime the room was not cleaned as yet- and complained to front desk. When we returned at 8:30PM it was clean and stocked, and staff double checked with us to be sure we were satisfied. We also had made a reservation for 10 people Friday PM at the restaurant for Sat night dinner. Sat at 5:30 PM we found the restaurant was closed- and the front desk, where we made the reservation knew nothing about it. However, when we went into the lounge - the staff there knew about it and had tables set up for us. We had a little problem with some of the bills being confused and incorrect, but the staff corrected. Since the regular restaurant was closed the lounge had 30 some people wanting to be served dinner while we were there and they were a little short staffed. Overall though staff bent over backwards to please us, and the hotel was a very nice place to stay with good rates.

Room Tip: If you have AAA you get a good discount!!! Corner roomsnot as large
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Thanks for taking the time to write regarding your recent stay at the Atlanta Marriott Downtown. I am delighted that your overall experience was positive and that you enjoyed the service you received, our rooms and location. I will follow up with our Food & Beverage Team on the communication breakdown, but was pleased that your experience was positive at the end. We hope to see you back in the hotel in the near future.

Avery, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed in this all-suites Marriott and found it to be very comfortable and very conveniently located to everything we wanted to do.

The front desk staff was professional and polite, if not exactly warm and welcoming. The room itself was very clean and well appointed. There was a living room with a wet bar set-up, including a small refrigerator. Typical comfortable desk and sofa and large LG flat screen in the living room.

The bedroom was separated from the living room by two glass doors which, when shut, afforded a surprising amount of noise insulation. Our eight-floor room fronted the busy 14th Street, but with the doors closed, we were not aware of any traffic sounds.

We were able to walk virtually everywhere, including the Woodruff Arts Center. There was a better-than-average coffee maker in the room, but there was also a coffee center in the lobby, which is always nice. We did not eat at the hotel, because there was a fabulous little bakery and restaurant a block away for breakfast or lunch, and many fine restaurants to experience. I will write a separate review of the Atmosphere Bistro, about a mile away, that was one of the best French restaurants we have ever experienced.

Back to the hotel--the room was impeccably clean, the bed was fresh and comfortable, and the bathroom was large and well-appointed with both a tub and a shower. It was a very comfortable room to come back to after enjoying the many wonderful things in the surrounding mid-town area.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the great feedback on your recent stay at the Atlanta Marriott Downtown. Friendly service and impeccable cleanliness standards are a strong focus at the hotel and I appreciate you mentioning both. We get lots of positive feedback on our location, and I am glad you took advantage of it, and visited the nearby restaurants & attractions. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.